Hurricane Ida - 08/2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure hope this is a one of a kind situation and they didn't let the fleet get flooded like they did in Hurricane Sandy. In that case the traction motors were destroyed on many, many pieces of equipment.

jb

Even airlines are shutting down operations in Newark today... perhaps due to lack of availability of staff who cannot get to the airport.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/nyc-airports-flooded-what-to-do/
Terminal B was flooded. Gonna be some serious cleanup.

I haven't read an assessment of the track & signal damage to Amtrak, MTA, or NJT yet. So far it looks like the areas which were fortified after Sandy mostly did better, while other areas which are on higher ground, so not subject to storm surge, but still subject to flash flooding, did terribly. The exception is the Hudson Line; I don't like the riverbed location of that line at all, and I think in the long run we should restore the Upper Harlem Line because I doubt the Hudson Line is sustainable.

Entire NEC now closed for remainder of today as well as Springfield line and empire corridor between NYP and ALB. 91 and 97 will originate at Washington. 48 will turn as 49 at Albany - 448/449 will still run thru to Boston.
The only time the Surfline will have more trains than the NEC.

Gov. of New York calls for better preparedness following catastrophic floods -CNBC

Recap of flash flooding warnings...

Looks like Ida wanted everyone in her path to get a taste of what she can bring. My daughter in NJ stranded at work all night, said roads were flooded and horrible Wednesday night. Be safe all y’all in her path. We watching the news and it looks bad. I wouldn’t have wanted to be on a train in Ida path

I sure hope this is a one of a kind situation and they didn't let the fleet get flooded like they did in Hurricane Sandy. In that case the traction motors were destroyed on many, many pieces of equipment.

jb
No fleet was flooded this time. There were two individual trains that were stuck en route. No major damage to the trains. More damage to the tracks.

NJT service was restored on the NEC, NJCL and Morris and Essex late afternoon yesterday (Sept 2). Several additional lines will get service restored today (Sep 3) while service will remain suspended on a few lines including the RVL where that train was stuck at the Bound Brook flood gates, until repairs are made to the tracks.

https://www.nj.com/news/2021/09/3-n...ht-rail-resume-service-in-idas-aftermath.html

Any idea when City of New Orleans and Crescent will be restored?
Tracks are operating, but most of New Orleans still doesn't have power. I would not expect restoration until the power is consistently up in the entire neighborhood around New Orleans station, at least. Probably not until the whole of New Orleans has power, which is estimated at September 8th. Actually probably not for a few days after that, either; they have to make sure their employees have power and can get to work, too.

Tracks are operating, but most of New Orleans still doesn't have power. I would not expect restoration until the power is consistently up in the entire neighborhood around New Orleans station, at least. Probably not until the whole of New Orleans has power, which is estimated at September 8th. Actually probably not for a few days after that, either; they have to make sure their employees have power and can get to work, too.

Thanks! My reservation is for 9/25 from CHI to NOL.

At least nine homes were destroyed by a tornado in Mullica Hill yesterday. That’s a small area—not even a designated town—in South Jersey, about 45 miles southwest of me.
That one has now been rated as an EF-3 by NWS. Of all the tornadoes that day this one was the most powerful one.

Apparently about 10 feet of mud on the Hudson Line. This will take a while to clear and to repair the tracks and (probably) power and signals.
Probably going to be sending up a backhoe and some gondolas to move that. They're probably trying to find a place to move it now.

“After Ida's destructive trek from the Gulf to NE ... look to see the name "Ida" retired from the list of hurricane names

Grace possibly too! She hit Mexico as a Category 3..

“Grace? She passed away over thirty years ago!!

—Aunt Bethany in “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Metro-North has a Flickr album up of some of the larger damage locations. Near Greystone station mudslides covered the tracks (they will need to remove some of that hillside above the retaining wall). The land washed out under the tracks near Dobbs Ferry (I can't tell, but it looks like this is adjacent to a small, old concrete culvert, and the water was too much so it went right around the culvert. Need a bigger culvert).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mtaphotos/sets/72157719819252655/with/51420753763/

Power outage following Hurricane Ida resurfaces concerns about New Orleans energy company

New Orleans and surrounding areas lost power when Hurricane Ida hit on Aug. 29 and may not get all of it back for weeks. Entergy has been on thin ice for a while, with growing concerns that they are not properly maintaining their systems to withstand natural disasters.

Washington Post

Back