Hurricane Ida - 08/2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason why WAS to ATL (or BHM) can't be run. Amtrak does ATL when NS does track work south towards NOL and if they can't manage to handle trains in their home city of WAS, they need more help than even Biden can give them.
The train is bookable to ATL tomorrow, so it is running as far as Atlanta. Today's 19 is currently approaching WAS.

You're correct, there isn't any reason it can't be run as far as Atlanta, especially since they're running it.

This all reminds me of the potential value of a Fort Worth section of Trains 19 and 20. I'm not sure if it would have helped in respect to the flooding north of New Orleans but there are times every year when it would have kept things moving. And, of course, the DFW area is a large everyday market in itself.

I'm not familiar with the area so am not advocating but am curious about the alternatives.

A FTW running of the Crescent would run into the same NS absolute work restrictions that now occur. NS also works on the BHM- ATL section as well as BHM - NOL Jan - mid Feb.. Do not get me wrong. I really think FTW is a better termination of the Crescent. IMO The potential passengers of Richmond - NC - ATL - BHM - to Texas are greater. That is even with the need for Virginia passengers needing to change trains in CLT.

Note: The probably of cancelling Crescent due to a hurricane would be much less.
Note #2: maybe a stub section Meridian = New Orleans is a solution. Would only take one train set that could rotate with the Mobile train sets.

My airbnb for NOLA 9/12-9/16 was just canceled and fully refunded. Unsure if the Crescent can even get me there WAS-NOL 9/11-9/12 and I don't think I'll be able to find a place/don't want to take a place from someome who may need it instead of their home, so unfortunately I may be looking at a detour. Recommendations welcome, I'm not sure what Amtrak will do about the other segment NOL-CHI, as they were purchased with the $50 sale. If I was to go to Chicago early after the one night already planned in WAS, would they charge the $50 or the current fare?

My airbnb for NOLA 9/12-9/16 was just canceled and fully refunded. Unsure if the Crescent can even get me there WAS-NOL 9/11-9/12 and I don't think I'll be able to find a place/don't want to take a place from someome who may need it instead of their home, so unfortunately I may be looking at a detour. Recommendations welcome, I'm not sure what Amtrak will do about the other segment NOL-CHI, as they were purchased with the $50 sale. If I was to go to Chicago early after the one night already planned in WAS, would they charge the $50 or the current fare?
Can’t hurt to call and talk to someone at Amtrak. If the agent doesn’t seem to know, ask for a supervisor

I thought Amtrak will resume the services to NOL next week?

Recommendations welcome, I'm not sure what Amtrak will do about the other segment NOL-CHI, as they were purchased with the $50 sale.
I was booked on a Starlight when it was completely cancelled on the 50$ sale. I was able to have it changed to December, no extra cost.

Problem with the Hudson Line (NYP to ALB) is that Metro North had (1) large landslides on tracks, (2) need to put in retaining walls in areas of landslides and where area is unstable, and (3) washouts. Add to this that Metro North needs to rebuild power (third rail) and signal system (in-ground sensors). Might be out of service for quite a while.

Amtrak needs to run some thruway buses NYP - Albany. Suggestion is to add coaches out of Bos or at least turn them in Albany as well as whatever sleepers are needed. Amtrak is going to have some problems in getting V-1s and -2 to MIA for required maintenance. Cardinal might not be enough.

Actually, leaving out of NYP, I sometimes take an NER to WAS and pick up the CL to connect to the Zephyr. It sometimes has better roomette pricing than the Lake, and if you use coach to WAS instead of BC it is often a good savings.

I wonder if any of the routes in the Northeast will be "temporarily suspended" for the next16 years.

I wonder if any of the routes in the Northeast will be "temporarily suspended" for the next16 years.
We can rest assured that they won't. Nor will any of the current routes into NOL.

Sunset East was a gift that Amtrak brought forth for a while and then took it away. None of the other routes into NOL fall in that category.

Arguably LSL could be considered to be something that started a few years after Amtrak came into being, but it started as a 403b train while Broadway was the Amtrak NYP - CHI train. Now there is no Broadway and LSL is the NYP - CHI train. So it is not going to be indefinitely suspended, specially considering that it is one the two best performing single level LD trains. Nothing like the anemic Sunset East.

Power in the vicinity of New Orleans station was restored... I think less than 24 hours before that announcement. So this all makes sense. Apparently NS and BNSF lines were not seriously damaged. But there is still damage on the CN line.

Power in the vicinity of New Orleans station was restored... I think less than 24 hours before that announcement. So this all makes sense. Apparently NS and BNSF lines were not seriously damaged. But there is still damage on the CN line.
And CN has nothing, that I can find, on their website (I’ve been checking daily) whereas UP (I thought they had the SL) & NS have posted updates almost daily.

And CN has nothing, that I can find, on their website (I’ve been checking daily) whereas UP (I thought they had the SL) & NS have posted updates almost daily.
In that area the Sunset runs mostly on BNSF, not on UP AFAIR.

Back