Hurricane Ida - 08/2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the local crossing gates and signals depend on local electric service. So, if there are wide-spread electric outages that would disrupt signaling slowing traffic to a crawl. It's not like the RRs have a warehouse filled with thousands of little generators like AT&T has for Uverse. Right?

I guess the local crossing gates and signals depend on local electric service. So, if there are wide-spread electric outages that would disrupt signaling slowing traffic to a crawl. It's not like the RRs have a warehouse filled with thousands of little generators like AT&T has for Uverse. Right?
UP says it’s using generators for it’s signals, so my guess is that they do have many generators.

“ Most of our network in Louisiana has returned to service, our route from St. James to New Orleans remains closed at this time. We continue to clear debris from our tracks and install generators along our railroad where commercial power has yet to return. We anticipate this route will be open by late tomorrow morning.”

https://www.up.com/customers/announcements/customernews/allcustomernews/CN2021-56.html

Last edited:

Actually, an extraordinarily large number of them now have little solar panels and batteries.

My airbnb for NOLA 9/12-9/16 was just canceled and fully refunded. Unsure if the Crescent can even get me there WAS-NOL 9/11-9/12 and I don't think I'll be able to find a place/don't want to take a place from someome who may need it instead of their home, so unfortunately I may be looking at a detour. Recommendations welcome, I'm not sure what Amtrak will do about the other segment NOL-CHI, as they were purchased with the $50 sale. If I was to go to Chicago early after the one night already planned in WAS, would they charge the $50 or the current fare?
I'm not sure how they got there, but Amtrak only charged us $85 extra to go WAS-CHI-DEN-CHI instead of WAS-NOL-CHI due to the current sale. We still have to find a place to stay in Denver, and unfortunately don't have the time or funds to continue further west to see the Rockies, but that will make me feel less guilty by only spending another night there next time I'm on the Zephyr in a bedroom ;) (trying to save up lots of points). I see that CN is expected to restore the CONO tracks in the next few days and that's what the reservation system says, but we don't want to bank on that, take up a hotel space from someone who needs it to live, and party in a city that was just ravaged by a terrible storm. While we are sad we can't explore the Big Easy, we are excited to explore the mile-high city!

I'm not sure how they got there, but Amtrak only charged us $85 extra to go WAS-CHI-DEN-CHI instead of WAS-NOL-CHI due to the current sale. We still have to find a place to stay in Denver, and unfortunately don't have the time or funds to continue further west to see the Rockies, but that will make me feel less guilty by only spending another night there next time I'm on the Zephyr in a bedroom ;) (trying to save up lots of points). I see that CN is expected to restore the CONO tracks in the next few days and that's what the reservation system says, but we don't want to bank on that, take up a hotel space from someone who needs it to live, and party in a city that was just ravaged by a terrible storm. While we are sad we can't explore the Big Easy, we are excited to explore the mile-high city!
The hotel I'm booked in for mid Oct is "closed" till 9/15. I wonder if they're housing residents or just cleaning up. A hotel I used in 2019 shows Sold Out for all dates (at least through Nov). I'm guessing they're not taking rez's until they know for sure when they can open. Both hotels are on Poyadras near Loyola.

Had recurring business in New Orleans before and for months after Katrina. Before Katrina stayed at Holiday inn near airport. After Katrina it was cleaned out as you could see right thru the second floor end to end.
Stayed downtown at a converted bank into hotel. It withstood the storm fairly well but had sporadic electrical problems. ( changed rooms more than once ) but old bank vault did not even get wet. Main problem no phone service as all switching equipment was in basement. ( yeah I know basements in NOL ???) .
In About 6 months hotel replaced all electrical and phone service to 2nd floor. They had to bring in outside techs and board them.

Worse problem was food especially 1 - 2 months after. We actually brought meals for awhile. Found out what MREs were all about. Had to eat more than once at BK on Canal as it was first eats for blocks.
The portable drying units were massive. Post office had 2 stories of dryers all around building but there many other buildings as well with that equipment that roared 24 hours a day..

That's interesting. I'll have to check some of the local signals to see if there's a generator plug anywhere obvious.

I don't think the individual signals need a generator. More the boxes that control them.

If a signal is by itself and cut off from the outside world it can't provide any useful information even when it has power.

I don't think the individual signals need a generator. More the boxes that control them.

If a signal is by itself and cut off from the outside world it can't provide any useful information even when it has power.

I used "signals" to mean the whole sensing, signaling, telemetry system used by the RR. These little houses are definitely connected to to local electric utility around here. As far as I can tell they have no jack to connect a generator. (CSX between NOL & MOB)

It's been a week since last update from Amtrak on CONO
Amtrak.com Schedules tab still showing 9/14 departure from Chicago going through to New Orleans, arriving 9/15. Oddly, the first New Orleans departure is 9/15, but they can't do a same day turn in New Orleans since 59 arrives a couple hours after 58 leaves. Perhaps they are planning to deadhead 59(13)'s consist from Jackson down to New Orleans?

Amtrak.com Schedules tab still showing 9/14 departure from Chicago going through to New Orleans, arriving 9/15. Oddly, the first New Orleans departure is 9/15, but they can't do a same day turn in New Orleans since 59 arrives a couple hours after 58 leaves. Perhaps they are planning to deadhead 59(13)'s consist from Jackson down to New Orleans?

its weird the Schedules tab is showing service on 9/14 but when checking price and etc on Amtrak between 9/14 and 9/18, it says "We don't have train service matching your request. "

its weird the Schedules tab is showing service on 9/14 but when checking price and etc on Amtrak between 9/14 and 9/18, it says "We don't have train service matching your request. "
Yeah, they don't always seem to be in sync in service disruptions. I don't really think you can take either as authoritative, although Schedules was accurate for the Crescent and Sunset.

Back