Hurricane Irma and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some more related stuff. ...

Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex is reopening on the 15th. But there will be no KSC bus tour at least until the 18th since KSC itself is not reopening until the 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Were both Auto Train equipment sets brought north before the storm (else there won't be anything to run 53 on Saturday)? Didn't think there was space at Lorton for that.
Yes, both sets are crammed into Lorton hence why 53 must resume service a day before 52.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum
Latest word is that Auto Train service will not resume before Sunday.

Tom

Which makes sense since the scuttlebutt is that SunRail might be up and running by Monday. But of course we won't know for sure until it actually happens.

I hope the scuttlebutt is correct. Here in Orlando, there are still areas without power, but most of them are further "out." The power to the downtown YMCA was restored this morning and it felt good to do my "regular" workout.

Looking at Amtrak.com for trains between ORL and NYP:

9/18: 91 and 97 have coach seats available; 92 and 98 canceled

9/19: 91 and 97 have coach seats and at least one room available; 98 has coach seats and roomettes available; 92 canceled

9/20: 91 and 97 have coach seats and roomettes available; 92 and 98 have coach seats and rooms available.

I hope to travel on 9/24 and I hope the above reflects accurate information that does not change for the worse.

Looking at Amtrak.com for trains between ORL and NYP:

9/18: 91 and 97 have coach seats available; 92 and 98 canceled

9/19: 91 and 97 have coach seats and at least one room available; 98 has coach seats and roomettes available; 92 canceled

9/20: 91 and 97 have coach seats and roomettes available; 92 and 98 have coach seats and rooms available.

I hope to travel on 9/24 and I hope the above reflects accurate information that does not change for the worse.
They're making you sweat it out, Penny. I have confidence 98 will be running on the 24th. You gotta believe. :)

One current unknown is what course of action Maria might decide to take.

I think we should set up a GoFundMe for Penny. To pay for her train ticket out on the next Silver northbound and hotel accommodations for her in/near NYC so she can be sure to catch her westbound train. :help:

Actually the long range ensembles have it headed further north with possible landfall between the Carolinas and the Delmarva Peninsula/NJ. But of course things can change a lot over such a long range.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the long range ensembles have it headed further north with possible landfall between the Carolinas and the Delmarva Peninsula/NJ. But of course things can change a lot over such a ling range.
So then we need to get her to Chicago ASAP to make sure she makes the Gathering? ;)

Okay I have called Amtrak three times, each time they tell me that Silver Meteor97 and 98 are cancelled till further notice. Then i call Amtrak and they say it is still running?? I have tickets for the September 22 to go to Orlando florida. So who do I believe about 97 and 98 running???

MODERATOR NOTE: This post was a new topic and was merged by staff into the inclusive existing thread

Any one know the problem at Sun Rail ? Penny ? Could it be the St Johns river bascule bridge ? The Sun Rail hold up seems to be extensive.
I do not know, but I am guessing it has to do with St. Johns River flooding and/or power outages along the route.

Edit to add: Jis may know. Although he is in a neighboring county, he knows much more than I do.

This morning I drove to Winter Park (near WPK station) from Orlando on US 17/92. All traffic lights were working and the cross arms at the crossing at the Orlando/Winter Park line were back in place. It looks like that part of the route is ready for service...... unless Maria shows up. :eek:

Any one know the problem at Sun Rail ? Penny ? Could it be the St Johns river bascule bridge ? The Sun Rail hold up seems to be extensive.
I do not know, but I am guessing it has to do with St. Johns River flooding and/or power outages along the route.
St. John's River would also prevent Auto Train operation, but that's resuming tonight. There must be something between Sanford and Tampa, since we know both CSX and Tri-Rail are up south of Tampa.

Since SunRail does not normally run on weekends it is hard to say definitively that they are not ready to run on Monday. However, they have said absolutely nothing this way or that since their last message from when they discontinued service for Irma.

If CSX is running from Tampa to West Palm, all we can say is there is some issue between Sanford and Auburndale. But let's wait and see what happens on Monday/Tuesday on SunRail.

From a post by Sunrailriders on FaceBook:

People keep asking: What's up with SunRail? When will the train start running again?
We don't know, but our spies tell us that a train was seen on the tracks Sunday in downtown Orlando, so maybe that means they're testing the tracks.
We reached out to FDOT and they said they hope to let us know later today (Sunday).

97(18) is planned to run and is bookable Orlando to Miami on Tuesday the 19th. This will reposition the set that has been tied down at Sanford to Miami to resume full service Northbound.

Back