Hurricane Katrina Disruptions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This storm is going to do ALOT of damage if it hits nol head on like its projected path. The only recorded stronger storm, was the one in 1935. Keep in mind that the 1935 storm decimated the keys and caused the closure of the FEC Key West Extension.

AmtrakWPK said:
With the size and power of Katrina right now they are calling it potentially catastrophic. 175 MPH sustained winds, and enormous in size. If you are within 150 miles inland of where it is expected to hit (and tropical storm force winds are 200+ miles wide), I would evacuate, NOW, no hesitation. We went through three hurricanes last year here in Orlando, but Katrina makes those three look like a gentle breeze by comparison. Katrina is a bigger, stronger version of 1992's Andrew. Unless it weakens considerably from what it is now, everything in it's path will be utterly destroyed for a very considerable distance inland. This thing is positively scary right now. And Midland is right, pray for the folks in it's path.
To bad Katrina is getting so much attention today, but Happy Birthday anyway! :D

battalion51 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
AmtrakFan said:
BNSF,Let's hope you make it ok.   Did they clear all the cars out of the NOL yard?
Yes there doing it right now heading up to Memphis TN :)
That information is incorrect according to my sources. My sources are telling me all equipment has been repositioned to McComb, MS. All food from the Comissary has been put into the Dining Cars, and some of the management from NOL is with the train in McComb.
Battalion51,

From what I'm being told from Chicago it went to Memphis.

AmtrakWPK said:
Midland - thanks. Played three services this morning, took a nap, then the wife and I went over to New Smyrna Beach for supper and a walk on the beach. The Atlantic was surprisingly peaceful given what's in the Gulf.
Sounds good. The wife made me clean carpets after Church. No nap but got to watch Fox coverage of the storm. You should take the SWC to Hutchinson some Saturday, I'll pick you up and you can be a guest organist on our pipe organ.

Amtrak Fan, the CONO is going CUS-MEM, the equipment from the NOL yard is in McComb. It's the shortest distance they could go with it, but still be at high ground with a low risk of losing the equipment. My source on this one is very reliable, for the record.

battalion51 said:
Amtrak Fan, the CONO is going CUS-MEM, the equipment from the NOL yard is in McComb. It's the shortest distance they could go with it, but still be at high ground with a low risk of losing the equipment. My source on this one is very reliable, for the record.
Thank You Battalion51. Did they have Matience people go with it as well?

I don't know whether anyone from Mechanical is with the equipment. I would guess not since there really isn't too much for them to do. They're getting HEP from the Engines since there's no Ground Power in McComb. I'd guess most of the guys in the base were allowed to be with their families and make preperations for the storm once the train was assembled. The only people besides managers might be Amtrak Police and maybe a Conductor and Engineer, but the Road Foreman and Trainmaster might've handled that responsibility for the trip up.

Im going to be surprised if they can restore the Crescent to full service by next week, the ponchatrain bridge, and the track south of the ponchatrain are very venerable. I mean, the NS track that runs along ponchatrain is not more then 3-4 feet above sea level. I'm sure there was some damage, and I wouldnt be surprised if those tracks are still underwater.

Update:

A fair bit of the I-10 bridge crossing lake ponchatrain is gone. This would lead me to think that the adjacent (and older) NS bridge suffered atleast as much damage. Looks like NS has some work to do :(

Excuse me!?! Reports have said that part of the line near PNS is under water. Even here in TLH we've had a couple of strong storms causing standing water and a tree or two down. And we're 200 miles from PNS, so you might want to rethink the CSX line being in the clear, especially since they take CSX all the way into NOL.

Just announced that the International airport in New Orleans will not re-open to commercial flights until November...if only Amtrak could get down there.

Just got back from the ATL Amtrak station. They just got done switching #19 onto the side station track.

Tonights consist for #20 will be/is:

Amtk #4

Amtk #44

Baggage

Dorm Lounge

2 Viewliners

Diner

Lounge

4 Coaches

From an MSNBC news story:

The idea of using trains and buses was suggested early on. But, we don’t know where the water is regarding the Amtrak lines. I don’t know if a train could actually come in. A train would be welcome by many people. People have gone to the Amtrak and Greyhound station, which is one facility, but it remains closed. The water is surrounding it, so that seems like an unlikely avenue.
The full story can be found here.

Back