Hurricane Michael

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he might be concerned that if one was cancelled, and the other wasn't, how would they handle it. Like, my train to Florida is cancelled, my return next week on a separate reservation is unaffected. While we know there won't be a problem, those scenarios are rarely described clearly.

From CSX

CSX Taking Precautions Ahead of Hurricane Michael

CSX continues to take measures to protect employees, rail traffic and infrastructure as Hurricane Michael approaches the U.S. mainland as a major hurricane. The storm is projected to make landfall Wednesday as a Category 3 hurricane, bringing the potential of storm surge along low lying areas. At this time, we do not know the extent to which the storm will impact CSX operations, but we are closely monitoring its path and intensity and taking steps to prepare for any potential effects on our network.

Please be advised that, until further notice, CSX is curtailing operations along the Florida Panhandle and into southeastern Georgia. All shipments traveling between Pensacola, Fla. and Baldwin, Fla., and between Dothan, Ala. and Valdosta, Ga. will experience delays.

We will continue to provide updates as we monitor the storm. Intermodal customers should refer to Real-Time Service Advisories for intermodal-specific operational actions, though there are no intermodal impacts at this time.
It says that they are "curtailing operations along the Florida Panhandle and into southeastern Georgia". Does that refer to the tracks or just CSX's own trains? In other words, does that apply to Amtrak?
At least it won't affect the Sunset Limited - East....
default_tongue.png

The Florida panhandle and south to southeast Georgia is going to take a very major wind hit. As far as flooding probably not as much as Florence but still ? ?

There are a lot of trees in the Florida Panhandle and not a lot of access roads. Power trucks may have a difficult time accessing power outages in the many rural areas. I have relatives in the Tallahassee area (with a lot of trees). My thoughts are with them.

10/10 service alert:

Scheduled Service Modified Due to Hurricane MichaelWedneday, October 10, 2018 11:15 a.m. ETAmtrak service in Florida and the Southeast affected.

Due to predicted severe weather from Hurricane Michael, Amtrak is modifying service to and from Florida and points north. This message will be updated no later than 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 11.

For the safety of our customers and employees, the following train schedules are be adjusted:

• Amtrak Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 (New York – Miami) will operate only between Miami and Jacksonville, Fla. through at least Oct. 11.

No substitute transportation will be provided between Jacksonville, Fla., and New York.

• Amtrak Palmetto Trains 89 & 90 (New York – Savannah) will only operate between New York and Washington, D.C., through at least Oct. 11.

No substitute transportation will be provided between Washington, D.C., and Savannah, Ga.

Customers with reservations on trains that are being modified will typically be accommodated on trains with similar departure times or another day. Amtrak will gladly waive additional charges for customers looking to change their reservation during the modified schedule by calling our reservation center at 800-USA-RAIL. Anyone planning to travel should check their train status on Amtrak.com or our smartphone apps prior to departing, allow extra time to get to the station and be extremely careful in stations and on platforms.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Customers with travel plans can review refund information on Amtrak.com. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

To be notified of service disruptions on the Northeast Corridor (including Acela Express, Northeast Regional and other corridor services), follow @AmtrakNECalerts on Twitter.

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?

I just boarded auto train south bound. Thankfully I did not get cancelled. Should be an interesting evening.
You should not have any problem. You will be past the area that Michael will pass well before he gets there. But then again you are on the front right quadrant, so you could meet a few tornados hundred or more miles away from the center.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn’t it be ironic if the same tracks wiped out by Katrina get knocked out this time?

I’m NOT saying I’m hoping for it - just that it would be ironic...
Katrina knocked CSX tracks between New Orleans and Pascagoula, MS. Michael won't affect those tracks, but probably will east of Mobile, AL or Pensacola, FL, for who knows how far.

If a railroad suspends operation on a stretch, it would also Amtrak. This is because trains are dispatched by the railroad - if there are no dispatchers on duty, they can not dispatch an Amtrak train. Also, many times the railroad removes crossing gates (to keep them from becoming projectiles). If the crossing does not have gates, a train can not operate unless it stops at EVERY crossing and crew protects that crossing.

So do they allow simply canceling a trip anymore without penalty when they are unable to deliver you to the destination within a few or even several hours of the original trip, at least for the most expensive fares? Or is it now time to get in touch with Congresspeople and start working on an Rail Passenger Bill of Rights in this country like there are in a few other countries, and like the Air Passenger Bill or Rights?
I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)

According to the conductor we presently have clearance to proceed. I would assume if that changes we will likely halt at Florence. Hopefully we'll make it through. We did depart Lorton 30 mins early so we'll see what happens!

In Orlando, we had a very windy feeder band not too long ago. It is just cloudy now.

60 miles further southeast in Melbourne, absolutely nothing. Partly cloudy with sunshine and a southerly breeze.

I was looking at a wind map and it looks like the flow from Michael meets the Bermuda High flow here and gets deflected north away from us.

I'm not buying on Michael. I think it'll peak at 3 or 4 in the Gulf, but weaken as it turns north-northeast Tuesday into Wednesday (not that the NHC will actually show weakening while approaching the coast, mind you). Go look up Hurricane Opal 1995 for an analog.
That aged.... poorly....

Last edited by a moderator:
I know there used to be a rule that if the train was more than an hour late (for regional trains) or two hours late (for long distance trains) that you could get a full refund of the fare. I can't find that on amtrak.com right now, though. In practice, when the EB is severely late I've been able to get a refund of any cash paid without any hassle. (Getting a companion coupon back is another story.)
No such policy on LD trains.

No such policy on LD trains.
Meaningless in this thread, but interesting historically. The New York Central charged extra fare to passengers to ride the 20th Century Limited. If the Century was more than 30 minutes late at either Chicago or New York, only the extra fare was refunded, not the basic fare. They figured they got you there, just not on time. LOL

Back