Hurricane/Tropical/Subtropical storm Nicole and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that Amtrak Alerts says due to late arriving equipment, but 92 arrived early the night before. Maybe an engine availability issue??
They usually say that when they had to do a last minute substitution with a car pulled from the LSL or the Meteor consists. The deficit is made up normally from the arriving Meteor, or from car pulled out of reserve, but I suppose they have some other stuff going on today.

Sun Rail did not operate today Friday. Also has no weekend servixe. Do we know if Sun Rail has ay damage ? Especally on the south end Lake Monroe although Auto Train did operate.

Sun Rail did not operate today Friday. Also has no weekend servixe. Do we know if Sun Rail has ay damage ? Especally on the south end Lake Monroe although Auto Train did operate.
SunRail normally does not run on weekends and holidays. Friday was Veteran’s Day. The fact that Amtrak is running this weekend strongly suggest SunRail was not damaged.

Last edited:
SunRail normally does not run on weekends and holidays. Friday was Veteran’s Day. The fact that Amtrak is running this weekend strongly suggest SunRail was not damaged.
Per the Orlando Sentinel, SunRail will resume running Monday 11/14.

I was on 97(11), which made its way from NYP to MIA. We traveled slowly for a while when we were near the St. John's River in Volusia County and further south near Sanford. We were running early for quite a while, but lost some time south of JAX and arrived at my ORL destination a few minutes late. I was overly anxious that my train would get canceled, but was very pleased when 97 left NYP pretty much on time (after learning that 91(11) departed NYP 3 hours late.

Per the Orlando Sentinel, SunRail will resume running Monday 11/14.

I was on 97(11), which made its way from NYP to MIA. We traveled slowly for a while when we were near the St. John's River in Volusia County and further south near Sanford. We were running early for quite a while, but lost some time south of JAX and arrived at my ORL destination a few minutes late. I was overly anxious that my train would get canceled, but was very pleased when 97 left NYP pretty much on time (after learning that 91(11) departed NYP 3 hours late.
I believe you got into ORL ahead of the Star.

The Star is getting delayed departing Miami today (11/13/22) on account of mechanical issues apparently.

I believe you got into ORL ahead of the Star.

The Star is getting delayed departing Miami today (11/13/22) on account of mechanical issues apparently.
Yes, the Meteor arrived in ORL ahead of the Star. :eek:

@pennyk glad you made it back in good shape. Also nice to see the Meteor running again! Any significant changes in food, service, or equipment? Were you able to use the diner as a lounge as Amtrak?
On the Silver Service trains so far I have not heard of a problem in using the Diner as a Lounge by Sleeper passengers. Indeed in my several trips I spent quite a bit of time in that car. No issues at all.

On the Silver Service trains so far I have not heard of a problem in using the Diner as a Lounge by Sleeper passengers. Indeed in my several trips I spent quite a bit of time in that car. No issues at all.

Also experienced no issue spending time in the diner as a lounge on my October trip. Lake Shore Limited is also essentially the same setup as the Silvers which I rode literally the following week - no problems there either.

@pennyk glad you made it back in good shape. Also nice to see the Meteor running again! Any significant changes in food, service, or equipment? Were you able to use the diner as a lounge as Amtrak?
No changes and, as stated by @jis, it is still OK to use the diner/sleeper lounge as a lounge, which I did. The LSAs on both my 98 and 97 were optimistic about traditional dining returning (maybe late December, maybe January). 🤷‍♀️

I had excellent crews for both trips. However, my crew on 98(8) were not real happy about returning to MIA on 91(10) and being bussed from JAX to MIA. In spite of that, they put on a great and positive face for passengers.

Same here. SCA said the diner was available as a lounge 24 hours a day. And apparently one guy spent all his waking hours in there: at every meal, I saw him sitting at a table reading a book. :D

Glad to hear that most of my fellow Floridian's weathered the storm, well. I lucked out by leaving on a five night cruise on the 7th, and returned on the 12th. The only affect on us, was skipping our day at a Bahama's beach, and going directly to Cozumel to avoid the storm. Our home in Wellington suffered no bad effects.

Back