I do NOT like sharing toilets.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also misuse and overuse of antibiotics results in much worse diseases in general. You should not be taking them for a cold. Ideally you shouldn't be using antibiotic anything liberally (including the much overused triclosan in most antibiotic soaps) unless prescribed by a doctor and always take the full course; don't stop when you feel better. Bleach based disinfectants are fine, just don't mix with ammonia.
The Flight Luxe foaming hand soap (technically no soap in there, but I digress) used in Amtrak lavatories contains triclosan. It also has that distinctive floral scent.
That is the reason that I never use that gunk. :) Just plain old soap is more or less just as effective anyway.

I bought some rhinoceros repellent from an online herbal remedies merchant, and so far I've never had a rhinoceros infestation.
Clearly you have not peered through a Microscope to search for rhinoceroses yet! :p
But clearly, the lack of rhinoceros in my yard is proof positive that the herbal rhinoceros repellent is working.

Also misuse and overuse of antibiotics results in much worse diseases in general. You should not be taking them for a cold. Ideally you shouldn't be using antibiotic anything liberally (including the much overused triclosan in most antibiotic soaps) unless prescribed by a doctor and always take the full course; don't stop when you feel better. Bleach based disinfectants are fine, just don't mix with ammonia.
The Flight Luxe foaming hand soap (technically no soap in there, but I digress) used in Amtrak lavatories contains triclosan. It also has that distinctive floral scent.
That is the reason that I never use that gunk. :) Just plain old soap is more or less just as effective anyway.
If I need to wash my hands, I don't necessarily worry that much about it. I'm certainly not going to carry my own hand soap everywhere I go, although if I did it would probably be Dr. Bronner's unscented.

Generally I'm okay with the train bathrooms. (I'm less a germophonbe than I am a potentially-dangerous-chemical-phobe. I'm an ecologist who has done labwork, so germs, I'm generally "Meh, they live in soil" but certain solvents and acids I'm REALLY leery of. And yes, I know that anthrax is a germ that lives in soil.)

However, I find if I come on one where....to put it delicately, someone has used and not flushed (for whatever reason)....I just can't. Can't even bring myself to try flushing it to see "Is it broken or did the person just forget?" And yeah, I know, for some station stops, they shut the power off and you CAN'T flush, so if you happen to be using the loo then.....but there's just something about it.

It also bugs me a little when people splash water all 'round the sink and don't bother to mop it up. I know it's just water, but still: ugh.

I guess most of the time I can suspend disbelief enough to go, in my mind, "la la la, I'm the only one ever using this bathroom" but if there's evidence someone else has used it recently, I do get a little squicked out. (I'm the same way with the washrooms at work. And ours is so small that if there's someone in one stall already I just wash my hands and wait until they leave)

I like Amtrak's soap. I think it smells like cherries and almonds. I can see why some guys might not like it, though, as it does fall on the "floral" end of the spectrum.

Maybe they'll come out with a soap that smells like beer and hot wings. ^_^

I like Amtrak's soap. I think it smells like cherries and almonds. I can see why some guys might not like it, though, as it does fall on the "floral" end of the spectrum.

That should kill the germs. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Hands-Manly-Scented-Hand/dp/B00IPM7TU4

http://www.perpetualkid.com/manhands-beer-sccented-soap.aspx

http://www.manhandssoap.com/

beer.jpeg

Their list of various "men's soap" includes bacon, cash, new car, zombie repellent, Democrat, and Republican. The latter two don't appear to apply any editorial angle, as Democrat is described as "a blend that focused on individuals with a free-spirit, love for mankind, who have a desire to promote conservation of our environment", while Republican is "a blend that stands for conservative values, love of country, and a strong family unit".

Now one of the oddest item marketed towards men is a product from the Japanese confections company Glico - maker of Pocky-brand dipped cracker sticks. They actually have one dipped in a bittersweet chocolate that they call "Men's Pocky". I kid you not.

51shgWMRnUL.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okf4WQIGhQ0

I do not abuse antibiotics, and really take offense at the accusation that I did so on this trip. The 'cold' manifest itself in a severe sinus infection, which DOES beg for an antibiotic, and I know the symptoms of strept throat. To me, just wasn't worth it to be miserable when I had a script for Z-pack with me. The fact that I was feeling better within 24 hours tells me the drug was doing its job. I'm very aware of 'overuse' of antibiotics. I don't abuse this - but if I feel I need something to combat a bacterial infection [yes, chronic sinus infections respond to them] I will take it without one bit of guilt. I hope the poster who thinks I'm paranoid and bordering on 'panic attack' would just take a chill pill and stop being so damn judgmental about what feels right for another. I'm not forcing YOU to take a pill. Fact is, I took the antibiotic, and I felt better very soon - and was able to continue to enjoy my once a year 2 week vacation . Don't condemn me for that, please. And I still want to get a Bedroom next time - though it was NOT the toilet facilities that gave me the cold, I agree. Just don't like sharing. Live and learn. I'll stop posting or reading this thread now, since I'm sure the person who is so bothered by my behavior will continue to find fault with my opinions. Have at it. I'm out of here....thanks a bunch, person-i'm talking-about. Won't be back for awhile - job well done, and continue with your freakin' judgmental comments on this site - but I won't be reading them. I can do without people like this in my life. Apologies to my genuine friends here. Infuriates me off that someone always seems to want to **** in people's cornflakes just because they can and feel they know-it-all. Night all. Pianocat.

I do not abuse antibiotics, and really take offense at the accusation that I did so on this trip. The 'cold' manifest itself in a severe sinus infection, which DOES beg for an antibiotic, and I know the symptoms of strept throat.
Would you like a rewind of the tape?

pianocat:

And most likely taking wet wipes to all surfaces in the room, too. This last trip, I got a cold - and since I hadn't been sick in probably 14 months, I chalk it up to the sick pax in CUS who were in close proximity to me. By PDX, I was hacking up a whole lot of crap. Fortunately, it stopped then [had an antibiotic with me]..but " new " germs tend to take a bigger hold than the ones that one's used to. Thus, my germaphone nature..... better to be overprotective than to risk getting something super easy to avoid. That's just the way I roll. And even if in a roomette...that space gets a good working over of wet wipes, trust me. So would a BDR. Especially the bathroom.
You never said anything about strep throat or chronic sinus infections. You said you got a cold and attributed that to some other passengers. Then you mention antibiotics. From your own telling, you hint that you took an antibiotic for "a cold". So exactly how doesn't it sound like antibiotic abuse? If you were reading what you posted here as written by someone else, you wouldn't get the impression that someone took an antibiotic to treat a common cold?

I for one am getting a little tired of some folks telling others how they should go about their business. If someone dislikes or likes something that is their own issue. Some on this forum seem to take delight in trying to bully others over nit-picking personal issues which differ from their own perspectives.

"We may not agree with each other, but we should defend all rights to hold our own views without this obsesive and damaging level of disagreement"

(Unless it's about unionisation, in which case the gloves are off.... :p )

Ed :cool:

I would love to have a bedroom on a train, but like most people it's a bit pricey and I am happy with a roomette. We just booked two two zone trips in a roomette for 40,000 points and that took time to accumulate. A bedroom would be double that.

As other posters have said, the worst offense using public bathrooms are people who don't flush or leave a mess behind them. This is more of an occurance in coach, especially toward the end of a long distance journey. I;m always amazed why people cannot leave a bathroom in good shape. The condition of some of the coach restrooms are pretty gross toward the end of a trip.

Hey, if a bedroom was the same point redemption as a roomette,, there would be no contest.

I for one am getting a little tired of some folks telling others how they should go about their business. If someone dislikes or likes something that is their own issue. Some on this forum seem to take delight in trying to bully others over nit-picking personal issues which differ from their own perspectives.

"We may not agree with each other, but we should defend all rights to hold our own views without this obsesive and damaging level of disagreement"

Absolutely could not agree more.

Sorry in advance to the group hug crowd but casually self-medicating an ever more depleted range of antibiotics is a serious matter of great importance. Not just for me. Not just for the OP. But for all of society. That is not an inconvenient opinion. That is a proven fact.

But the OP asked for opinions. So now it is a bit late in the game to complain about people proffering their opinions on the matter, and as usual abut everything else that gets captured under the meandering nature of a typical AU thread. :)
Personally I find it tedious to be treated to a dozen messages about cleaning toilets and rooms. But hey, if one does not want to be treated to it one just avoids reading the tedious parts. Such is life. But it does leave me wondering as to why it is so necessary to keep talking about this stuff. It is almost as if this verbalization is necessary to justify some obsessive behavior. Just IMHO of course, and I like everyone is entitled to at least one. :p

The public bathrooms in the sleepers are fine. Most of the attendants keep them all tidy and neat. Cannot say the same for coach, especially towards the end, but that's a different animal.

Catching a cold from traveling is pretty common, especially this time of year. You are thrown in from a hot environment onto an air conditioned germ box that will hold germs in the air you breathe for however long you go. The lack of fresh air thru the day can really affect your body, and when you do get it, it can throw it off more. Same can be said with winter. You're on a hot train, but you just want to "step" off somewhere. You do that a few times underdressed and you are setting your body up for an attack.

I can understand the fear of germs, but the bathroom is probably not one of the worst places to get germs from. Don't get me wrong, there are germs there, but there are less on the seat, and after you do your business just use the towel you washed your hand with to open the door, etc. Of course, then you're spreading YOUR germs (because the cleanest person can still have germs) onto the handle for everyone else...

I shall remember you say we have a right to our own views without obsessive and damaging level of disagreement, Ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back