I flew from New York to Boston and returned on Amtrak. Here's why the train blew the plane out of the water during the pandemic.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it will. The fewer paths available for an aerosol to get from an infected person to you, the better.
And also remember that aerosols are a secondary mode of delivery of the virus. You need to be far more worried about getting droplets from an infected person. So you should be more worried about maskless people singing or yelling in your face than about a minor contribution of aerosols slipping into the HVAC.

With the air circulation system of the sleeper car, does closing a roomette door help at all to control the spread of the virus?
There are no sleeper cars available for travel within the NEC, so it really doesn't address the relative risk of flying vs. taking the train for NEC trips.

The main advantages, re: Covid, for the train are (1) much less standing in line (no security checks, you can board right before departure, etc.) and the fact that Amtrak is blocking off half the seats on the train, so you will always have a seat pair to yourself.

There are no sleeper cars available for travel within the NEC, so it really doesn't address the relative risk of flying vs. taking the train for NEC trips.
I don't have a current TT, but I read somewhere that Amtrak has removed the restriction on corridor travel from long distance trains...so maybe you could book a sleeper, at least between NYC and Washington....

I have a feeling that HVAC salespeople are going to be talking about the efficacy of UV-C lights in the ductwork from here on out. Whether they are all that effective or not, it will make a lot of us feel better! And who knows, maybe the horse will sing!
Sorry for the obscure joke reference...

And also remember that aerosols are a secondary mode of delivery of the virus. You need to be far more worried about getting droplets from an infected person. So you should be more worried about maskless people singing or yelling in your face than about a minor contribution of aerosols slipping into the HVAC.

I don't have a current TT, but I read somewhere that Amtrak has removed the restriction on corridor travel from long distance trains...so maybe you could book a sleeper, at least between NYC and Washington....
You can do it but only going south coming north Alexandria is the last boarding station - after arriving at WAS the trains just discharge passengers and depart as soon as they are ready without accepting passengers and if they are early they don't wait for the scheduled time on the timetable. If your northbound train gets into Washington on time you have a reasonable chance of getting into NYC early.

Last edited:
You can do it but only going south coming north Alexandria is the last boarding station - after arriving at WAS the trains just discharge passengers and depart as soon as they are ready without accepting passengers and if they are early they don't wait for the scheduled time on the timetable. If your northbound train gets into Washington on time you have a reasonable chance of getting into NYC early.
Okay, that makes sense...thanks.

You can, and it's quite pricey. I checked out of curiosity earlier in the week for a southbound imaginary trip.

If people are that afraid of someone not wearing a muzzle mask they need to stay at home and treat C-19 like Gamma radiation. Stay away from windows and in the centermost location in your dwelling.; The rest of us will travel and enjoy life.

If people are that afraid of someone not wearing a muzzle mask they need to stay at home and treat C-19 like Gamma radiation. Stay away from windows and in the centermost location in your dwelling.; The rest of us will travel and enjoy life.

"Muzzle mask"???? Is that the latest anti-public-health buzzword for taking a simple, easy, effective measure to protect your friends, family, and neighbors from a highly infectious, often fatal disease that's currrently rampant throughout our country? Geez, back before this pandemic, wasn't it considered rude to spread your germs around when you've got a much-less-serious cold?

No one is afraid of "somone not wearing a ... mask." Sensible and considerate people DO fear catching or spreading the Covid virus--and covering your face (along with keeping space between yourself and others, and washing your hands often) is necessary to prevent that.

Coming back to Amtrak: In addition to bringing along masks (which are currently required onboard), passengers might want to bring a small spray bottle of alcohol, to spray on all the shared bathroom surfaces you're likely to touch. Fortunately, train toilet compartments are so small there's not a lot of surface area to cover.

No one is afraid of "someone not wearing a ... mask." Sensible and considerate people DO fear catching or spreading the Covid virus--and covering your face (along with keeping space between yourself and others, and washing your hands often) is necessary to prevent that.

Early on, the scientists said that wearing a mask does not prevent you from getting sick. The purpose of wearing a mask is to prevent others from getting sick if you have symptoms. And just because you have no symptoms doesn't mean you aren't contagious, though. A lot of people are asymptomatic and can easily spread it without taking precautions.

I dislike wearing a mask, but I always wear the surgical style when in public. When in a hospital or doctors office, I wear an N95 mask. No one has proven that masks work and no one has proven that they don't work . Erring on the side of caution seems like the best idea right now.
As for the NE corridor vs plane route. the train is faster for me, especially on the NY/EWR/MET-WAS trip.

I dislike wearing a mask, but I always wear the surgical style when in public. When in a hospital or doctors office, I wear an N95 mask. No one has proven that masks work and no one has proven that they don't work . Erring on the side of caution seems like the best idea right now.
As for the NE corridor vs plane route. the train is faster for me, especially on the NY/EWR/MET-WAS trip.
It's been on the News for Months, Masks work to protect you and me!

Trust the Scientists, not Politicians and Pundits in the media!

Yes but that came out after the scientists initially said the exact opposite. I have recently seen a study (although I don't trust the source entirely) that says asymptomatic transmission doesn't happen. So even the scientists don't really know.

Yes but that came out after the scientists initially said the exact opposite. I have recently seen a study (although I don't trust the source entirely) that says asymptomatic transmission doesn't happen. So even the scientists don't really know.
So far as I am aware the US was the one and only country advising its citizens to not wear masks and even that was for a reason other than established efficacy. Our lack of planning and delayed response resulted in a shortage of protective equipment like medical grade masks for first responders and ICU's. Rather than explain this in a way adults can understand (but that might make their bosses in the administration look bad) the government instead told us we don't need masks and incurious people who struggle with details interpreted this to mean that masks cannot help them.

Last edited:

I think they know what they know at any given time, and are capable of adding to their knowledge as more info is known. Thus, as more is known, their advice should be altered accordingly. And for certain specifics, they have done the right thing.

I do not believe most doctors, researchers, or scientists would tailor their medical advice for a particular political POV. I do believe we have a political cult leader for about three more weeks who has convinced his cult that they should tailor their behaviors to match his political "wisdom," while ignoring the professionals.

Had they explained it was due to a supply problem, it would have lead to more hoarding. Although we now know much of our supply problem was due to foreign companies hoarding and not rotating inventory in our own stockpiles. But that is beside the point. If masks work, then telling people not to wear them is reckless at best. We definitely had public health officials making decisions/statements based on politics. As for a cult leader, we always have political cults, we just change idols every few years. DJT is neither the first nor the last to be venerated in such a way.

Had they explained it was due to a supply problem, it would have lead to more hoarding. Although we now know much of our supply problem was due to foreign companies hoarding and not rotating inventory in our own stockpiles.
Had we not disbanded the pandemic response team and instead reacted to growing evidence of a serious threat in a timely fashion we could have stockpiled the equipment and test kits we needed ahead of time. The US was in the enviable position of a delayed first wave but instead of using that time wisely we wasted it telling our citizens the pandemic was both a harmless hoax and a vast global conspiracy aligned against us.

But that is beside the point. If masks work, then telling people not to wear them is reckless at best. We definitely had public health officials making decisions/statements based on politics. As for a cult leader, we always have political cults, we just change idols every few years. DJT is neither the first nor the last to be venerated in such a way.
Democracies are weak and fragile structures that require constant vigilance to protect and normalizing genuine threats with false equivalency rug-sweeping is a dangerous game that ignores history and puts our future at risk.

Last edited:
Back