I get by with a little help from...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Lead Service Attendant
Yesterday's #6 acquired another engine at Elko last night, due to an underperforming engine. Counting the ACS-64 it's an engine party up there!

(Excuse the poor photo quality, taken using my phone from the rear sleeper :)

20150612_074754.jpg

Last time #6 borrowed an engine from Union Pacific, they left it behind in Denver. Apparently, Amtrak decided they only needed it the mountains and not in the plains. Of course, it probably depends on how much isn't working on Amtrak's units before that decision is made.

Thanks Tom! I straightened out the photo but then lost cell signal after Helper :p The conductor did say they were attaching the extra engine to "get us over the mountains" so I'm thinking you're right, they'll probably detach in Denver.

Turns out they kept the Union Pacific engine on after Denver. Based on the sound and the exhaust, it was the second P42, AMTK 177, that was "under performing." Did they ever say exactly what went wrong?

I'm new here and checking things out. Just wanted to say that I think it's SO COOL how you guys keep track (no pun!) of the trains like this. Excited to keep poking around. Very neat stuff here on this forum. :)

Never did say what was underperforming, unfortunately! We arrived in Lincoln a little before 8am, and I never did hear if there was additional engine trouble during the night.

It reminds me of a strong, Daddy engine pulling the little baby engines along.

Awww. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back