i just dont get it

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray

Train Attendant
tonight i ask this very quetion of the week well here we go why is it that on the florida line amtrak has the silver star meoteor palmeto 3 trains or more and the alanta line only has the cresent 19 and 20 i dont get that and the cresent is my favorite train and washinton to alanta is my favorite route

Last edited by a moderator:
History if you look at railroads from the 1950s there were dozens of trains a day to Florida where as Atlanta didn't see to many trains a day.

But a modification of this would be the difference between the winter season and the summer season.

The winter season, at that time, was from Dec. 16 of one year to April 24 of the following.There was more business to Florida, especially during the winter, than to Atlanta.

The Florida traffic was so subject to "snow birds", i.e people going south for the winter.

So there were several trains which operated winter only. The Orange Blossom Special, of country/western fame, comes to mind. Plus some of those which operated all year had extra sleeping cars during the winter.

The NYC, WAS, ATL market did not feel a similar tourist effect.But it certainly did have more trains that the one which is left today.Today's Crescent schedule between WAS and ATL is perfect for business travel. Travel overnight, get your meals on the train and no hotel charge.Too bad people no longer use trains for that purpose like they used to.

tonight i ask this very quetion of the week well here we go why is it that on the florida line amtrak has the silver star meoteor palmeto 3 trains or more and the alanta line only has the cresent 19 and 20 i dont get that and the cresent is my favorite train and washinton to alanta is my favorite route
The Palmetto hasn't gone to Florida in 4 years, atleast.

thank you for all of your ansers but 1 train on the alanta and new orleans line to me it has more history than florida

thank you for all of your ansers but 1 train on the alanta and new orleans line to me it has more history than florida
Sure Atlanta could use more rail service but when you look at the grand scheme of things Atlanta is lucky to have one train in each direction that comes at a reasonable time. There are a lot of major Cities in this country that have no trains at all, or there are cities where the only train they see rolls by at 3 in the morning.

It seems there are a couple of "trains" of thought going on here.

I certainly agree with Long Train that Atlanta (or any place else, for that matter) is very lucky to have any train service at all these days. I am glad the Atlanta service is only six blocks from my home! Yep,very glad about that. Keep that small formerly suburban stop station exactly where it is!! :lol: :p

On the comparison of business from NYC, WAS to FLA to NYC,WAS, ATL, NOL,it is true that more trains went to Florida especially in the winter as I noted a couple of posts back. This must be the tremendous draw of Florida as a purely tourist market, more than can be said of ATL.

But I do not slight my own city in any way as a spokewheel of the Southeast with much going on here in many ways except for railroad long distance passenger train service..

I remember the days here when there were two big downtown stations in ATL, serving eight separate railroad companies. I will not bother to count the number of trains.

What I will do is make a brief list, not meant to be complete, of some of the destinations you could reach from ATL either by complete train or through cars. These would be: those reached today, Florida Points, Chattanooga, Nashville,Evansville, Chicago, St.Louis, Montgomery, Mobile,Memphs,Kansas City,Knoxville, Cincinnati, Detroit,Cleveland,Buffalo,Augusta, Columbus,Savannah,Macon,Richmond,many others.

Incidentally rayray, if you live in Atlanta please check out my post on the Silver Comet in the misceallenous rail part of this forum IF you live here you are hearing much about the Silver Comet Trail murder and you might find the railroad connection to be interesting.

It seems there are a couple of "trains" of thought going on here.
I certainly agree with Long Train that Atlanta (or any place else, for that matter) is very lucky to have any train service at all these days. I am glad the Atlanta service is only six blocks from my home! Yep,very glad about that. Keep that small formerly suburban stop station exactly where it is!! :lol: :p

On the comparison of business from NYC, WAS to FLA to NYC,WAS, ATL, NOL,it is true that more trains went to Florida especially in the winter as I noted a couple of posts back. This must be the tremendous draw of Florida as a purely tourist market, more than can be said of ATL.

But I do not slight my own city in any way as a spokewheel of the Southeast with much going on here in many ways except for railroad long distance passenger train service..

I remember the days here when there were two big downtown stations in ATL, serving eight separate railroad companies. I will not bother to count the number of trains.

What I will do is make a brief list, not meant to be complete, of some of the destinations you could reach from ATL either by complete train or through cars. These would be: those reached today, Florida Points, Chattanooga, Nashville,Evansville, Chicago, St.Louis, Montgomery, Mobile,Memphs,Kansas City,Knoxville, Cincinnati, Detroit,Cleveland,Buffalo,Augusta, Columbus,Savannah,Macon,Richmond,many others.

Incidentally rayray, if you live in Atlanta please check out my post on the Silver Comet in the misceallenous rail part of this forum IF you live here you are hearing much about the Silver Comet Trail murder and you might find the railroad connection to be interesting.
good ansers guys as you can see i railfan on the nec dc to tampa and alanta lines so im pretty familiar with all the consists and i just love riding from dc to alanta and tampa :rolleyes:

I think there should be connections available from Atlanta to points on the Silver Star and City of New Orleans routes. It's a major city, and it should be accessible from Chicago and Florida. It would probably require funding from the state of Georgia though (never going to happen) and I don't even know if a direct route exists between those three lines. As much as everyone would hate it, how hard would it be to add a connecting bus from Columbia, SC to Atlanta? I think it would generate more ridership on 92 if passengers knew they could get from Florida to Atlanta without having to go too far out of their way.

As much as everyone would hate it, how hard would it be to add a connecting bus from Columbia, SC to Atlanta? I think it would generate more ridership on 92 if passengers knew they could get from Florida to Atlanta without having to go too far out of their way.
Greyhound already has a schedule that would make that connection, but its almost 6 hours on a bus when Spirit Airlines will get you there from Florida faster, cheaper, and better quality than a bus.

As much as everyone would hate it, how hard would it be to add a connecting bus from Columbia, SC to Atlanta? I think it would generate more ridership on 92 if passengers knew they could get from Florida to Atlanta without having to go too far out of their way.
Greyhound already has a schedule that would make that connection, but its almost 6 hours on a bus when Spirit Airlines will get you there from Florida faster, cheaper, and better quality than a bus.
ive heard of hundreads of trains on the alanta line but not one on florida one

Another strike against connecting through Columbia, SC are the times that station is serviced. Silver Star #92 rolls through at 4:08 in the morning. Number 91 passes through a few hours earlier at 1:44 am.

Who is up for a bus ride at those hours? Even if the buses waited to leave after the sun was up, who would want to have to wait at the station or some late-nite diner all that time? No, thanks.

I could see Amtrak offering bus connections from Columbia to Augusta, GA, which is only one hour, 20 minutes away, but only if trains were added going into CLB at more convenient times. Based on the nightime stops currently on the schedule, I doubt demand could support offering any Thruway connections from the station.

ive heard of hundreads of trains on the alanta line but not one on florida one
I am missing your point here. Would you find a way to re-word it?

I would think that a Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Atlanta train would make some sense if it could be funded.

It would be an overnight service and would require at least one sleeper. If it could be extended to Orlando, that

might be worthwhile. There may be some technical issues with this route.

If they were to add any trains I think the best thing they could do is extend the Piedmont to Atlanta. Of course this would require another train set and accepting the fact that SC is a charity case and can't provide any money, even in the good times.

If they were to add any trains I think the best thing they could do is extend the Piedmont to Atlanta. Of course this would require another train set and accepting the fact that SC is a charity case and can't provide any money, even in the good times.
wait hold on a second the pedimont in alanta nah thats not gonna to fly if they were to exend any train please let it be a amtrak original like the palmetto or carolinian

wait hold on a second the pedimont in alanta nah thats not gonna to fly if they were to exend any train please let it be a amtrak original like the palmetto or carolinian
at current speeds extending the carolinian would send it into the unusable wee hours of the morning. the palmetto doesn't even go near atlanta.

Another strike against connecting through Columbia, SC are the times that station is serviced. Silver Star #92 rolls through at 4:08 in the morning. Number 91 passes through a few hours earlier at 1:44 am.

Who is up for a bus ride at those hours? Even if the buses waited to leave after the sun was up, who would want to have to wait at the station or some late-nite diner all that time? No, thanks.

I could see Amtrak offering bus connections from Columbia to Augusta, GA, which is only one hour, 20 minutes away, but only if trains were added going into CLB at more convenient times. Based on the nightime stops currently on the schedule, I doubt demand could support offering any Thruway connections from the station.
Yeah you're right, Columbia isn't such a good idea for an Atlanta connection. What might work better is if a bus ran out of Savannah, GA as a connection from 98. 98 gets into Savannah at 8 PM and a bus ride from Savannah would take about 4 hours, only a half hour longer than if you ran it out of Columbia, but you get there at a reasonable time.

Well so far as the history of names is concerned the original PIedmont Limited was a major train from New York to New Orleans for years and years before Amtrak or the train which today is called Piedmont.

It went from NYC to ATL same route as today's Crescent. Then it went to Mongomery, Mobile and New Orleans. Which was also the route of the Crescent back then.

The train back then which went the entire same-as-Amtrak route from NYC to NOL via Atlanta, Birmingham and Meridian was at that time known as the Southerner.

In the dying days of the Southern Railroad the Piedmont was reconstitued just as a NYC to Atlanta train.It provided a largely daytime trip as opposed to the night trip we have now.

There would be lots of history behind any additional train to ATL being called the Piedmont.Just as much as any of the other names in the Amtrak timetable.

Yeah you're right, Columbia isn't such a good idea for an Atlanta connection. What might work better is if a bus ran out of Savannah, GA as a connection from 98. 98 gets into Savannah at 8 PM and a bus ride from Savannah would take about 4 hours, only a half hour longer than if you ran it out of Columbia, but you get there at a reasonable time.
i understand that the corolinian doesent go near alanta but its better than exending the pedimont to there alanta and the peidimont :huh: those 2 things just dont go together

i understand that the corolinian doesent go near alanta but its better than exending the pedimont to there alanta and the peidimont :huh: those 2 things just dont go together

but re-read my post just before this. historically the names Piedmont and Altanta went together for many years.

just talking about the name here,not the schedules or the routes.Maybe you did not see my post because you were posting your own.

but re-read my post just before this. historically the names Piedmont and Altanta went together for many years.

just talking about the name here,not the schedules or the routes.Maybe you did not see my post because you were posting your own.
okay so mabe that train was the alanta pride back then but know it belongs in nc thats where it should be

okay so mabe that train was the alanta pride back then but know it belongs in nc thats where it should be

Yeah, we are taking about different time periods here. I am 64 so I go back a bit.

My memories of the original Piedmont are loud and clear. But there have been several years now for it to be redefined as a NC train.

So maybe some other name might be used for a second train in ATL. Just for the heck of it, let me throw out Silver Comet, a grand old name which I have written about recenty in the miscellaneous rail forum.

Both the Carolinian and the Piedmont are State sponsored trains, so neither is going to be extended past the borders of North Carolina, unless other states are going to help pay for such and extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back