I just joined, here is why...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In about a year I’ll be in a position to start a new job/career. I have been looking at working for Amtrak.  I intend to move to Chicago whether anything works out with Amtrak or not. 

I know I’ll be looking at entry level job. The last 22 years I’ve been working in healthcare which doesn’t translate to rail service.  I’m ok with this.  This job is out of interest, adventure and starting over. 

Anyone who can give me ideas tips or point me in the right direction?

I’m 47 years old.  Healthy. Worked in retail pharmacy and managed a store for last 28 years.  

In about a year I’ll be in a position to start a new job/career. I have been looking at working for Amtrak.  I intend to move to Chicago whether anything works out with Amtrak or not. 

I know I’ll be looking at entry level job. The last 22 years I’ve been working in healthcare which doesn’t translate to rail service.  I’m ok with this.  This job is out of interest, adventure and starting over. 

Anyone who can give me ideas tips or point me in the right direction?

I’m 47 years old.  Healthy. Worked in retail pharmacy and managed a store for last 28 years.  
You would probably make an excellent, Assistant Conductor or LSA ( In charge of the Diner Crew or running the Cafe/Snack Bar) ,also any Customer Service position whether a Station or Customer Service  Agent.

Good Luck with your move and New Career,keep us informed!

What is typical work schedule, like for the train from Chicago to San Fran?  
Depends on what the job is. And I would also note that considering this will be you're entry into the railroad world, it's highly likely that you won't be able to choose the route you'll be on. Amtrak will probably just send you to whatever train needs a crew member at that time.

I can almost guarantee you this: While you're new (actually the first five years or so), you'll get the shifts (Christmas?) and the trains which nobody else wants. Our members here who are employees will, I am sure, testify that it's worth sticking the time as a new hire out...but go into it with your eyes wide open.

Back