I see a little mistake in the timetable.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
Not that this is the most crucial post we have ever had...but just happened to notice. Quite a bit has been said about the Kentucky Cardinal lately and I noticed the Kentucky Card timetable listing shows Dyer, Ind., at 303miles: Chicago at 312 miles., a total of nine miles. But for the Cardinal it shows Dyer at 892 miles ( from Washington, of course) and Chicago 921, a total of 29 miles. So that is a slight discrepancy.

Reminds of the timetable in the 40's I have seen reprinted which shows a certain train which operated every third day as operating every third YEAR!!

Anyone see any other mistakes in the present timetable? Or remember any really good ones from the past?

Bill,

That's not the only mistake one can find in the timetables. If one picks up a copy of the NE Corridor schedule, the distance from NY to DC is 226. However, if you look at the Silver Service in the National timetable, those trains only need to travel 225 miles to reach DC from NY.

AlanB said:
Bill,
That's not the only mistake one can find in the timetables. If one picks up a copy of the NE Corridor schedule, the distance from NY to DC is 226. However, if you look at the Silver Service in the National timetable, those trains only need to travel 225 miles to reach DC from NY.
I think the226 is the error. It has been 225 for years. lol

I believe it was the Winter 2002 NE Timetable that there was more miles on the northbound schedules, than the southbound. It can be really hard to trust the timetables now-a-days with the lateness of trains, change in schedules, and change of equipment.

AlanB said:
Bill,
One mile is not a big difference -- it depends on which end of the train you begin your measurements!! :lol:

The distance between Dyer and Chicago, whether it's 9 miles or 29 miles, the time it takes for the Cardinal/Kentucky Cardinal to negotiate that route seems like it's 100 miles. There are many turns onto different railroads, during which the train has to wait at each junction for permission to proceed onto the next railroad. I believe that Amtrak, Metra, UP, CN (former GTW), and CSX are all involved.

Superliner Diner---Ours is a complicated hobby, isn't it? And in looking at it I was just thinking how painfully slow that train is....yet there are reasons for such things, as least sometimes....... as you point out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back