Ice Machine Access on VLII

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going on Silver Meteor 97 this week and hopefully will be on a VLII. I’ve seen on some videos an ice machine at the end of the car next to the coffee machine. Has anyone been on one recently and can speak to if this has been available to use? Will help with my soft cooler planning.

An FYI - these are ice dispensers not ice machines. The ice is still loaded onto trains at service stops so there isn’t an unlimited supply and it will still be the responsibility of the attendant to stock and re-stock the ice.

An FYI - these are ice dispensers not ice machines. The ice is still loaded onto trains at service stops so there isn’t an unlimited supply and it will still be the responsibility of the attendant to stock and re-stock the ice.
Are we sure there isn’t an ice machine in the VLII Diner to create the ice that gets dumped in the dispenser(s)?

Definitely a first world problem in my circumstance (versus needing it for medication, etc). Might just end up getting a bit of dry ice then.

When I was on the Silver Meteor a few weeks ago, the ice dispenser was not in use.

Really do [not like the] idea of ice machine on cars. Too easily to get potable water contamination.
So don't use them. Problem solved.

The ice is not made on the train, it is loaded at service stops like before. The ice dispensers will be an improvement since the ice won’t be hand scooped.
The contamination club always throws a fit about ice but never had a problem with juice boxes that were left open at room temperature for days on end.

Or the SCA would send you to get it yourself. And the diner would send you to the lounge.
Yep. Half the time they make up excuses or simply refuse and then I get bounced back and forth until I either give up or end up buying something I don't need just to get past another round of questions and get the actual ice. The last SCA that provided me with ice took so many hours to go get it she couldn't remember who made the request anymore. In theory dispensers should solve this debate but between the hand wringing worrywarts and shoulder shrugging staff I doubt it.

Pro tip if you're in a sleeper car. Get a cup of ice with whatever drink you are requesting from the diner car. Chances are you won't even have to ask for the ice. Many drinks come with. If you do have to ask, don't be shy. You need ice with your milk, club soda, wine, juice, whatever. There's no judgment. If you would like to request a couple of cups with ice, provide the same tip as you would for requesting drinks, $1 seems reasonable.

Back