ID necessary at Auto Train check-in?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't rode the Auto Train in a few years and don't remember the check in process. Do they check your ID at the check in? My brother is too ill too travel but still has a bunch of points and he suggested that I use his. To "share" them with me it will cost .01 a point. I'm trying to avoid paying $470.00 for the "privilege" of him giving me points. If I have a ticket with his name is that enough to get on the train?

I haven't rode the Auto Train in a few years and don't remember the check in process. Do they check your ID at the check in? My brother is too ill too travel but still has a bunch of points and he suggested that I use his. To "share" them with me it will cost .01 a point. I'm trying to avoid paying $470.00 for the "privilege" of him giving me points. If I have a ticket with his name is that enough to get on the train?
He can order you a Ticket in your Name and pay with his Points.

No problems, just have him call in,and send you the Ticket and you're good to go!

What Bob Dylan said is correct (unless things have changed). I have done it on at least four occasions, most recently about two years ago. It does require a phone call and a competent agent. (If the agent says it cannot be done, escalate or hang up and call again.)

Enjoy your trip!

I've bought a ticket with points for my son, with his name on it, April 2018. SEA to MSP roomette. Worked fine then. Was no need to transfer points. Just sent him the PDF of the boarding pass.
Hope this hasn't changed recently :(

Back