If CZ #6 late into Chicago and miss CONO #59 questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to board the CZ #6 in Reno January 6, 2019 and arrive in Chicago on January 8 at 2:50 p.m. then board connecting train CONO #59 leaving Chicago at 8:05 p.m.

Having noticed that the CZ #6 has been late enough at times that I could miss my connection to the CONO #59, I am now concerned about having to stay over in Chicago if this happened. I have never had to do that, and don't know the procedure or details to handle a stay over.

Does Amtrak give me information on what to do, how to get taxi/Uber and what hotel? Do I need to have a list of hotels and their numbers to call? If so, which hotels are the closest and safest? Would taxi or Uber be safest?

I would appreciate any information about how to get transportation from Chicago Union Station to a hotel and names of hotels. I am somewhat apprehensive because it would be at night and I will be alone.

This is a Guaranteed connection so Amtrak will take care of you!

One of two things will happen if #6 Is Late enough to miss the connection in CHI:

1) if a sufficient number of passengers on #6 are connecting to #59,( not set figure???) and #6 isn't too Late, they will hold #59 for a cross platform connection

2) if not, you will receive money for a Taxi or Ride share and Meal Money in the Form of a Voucher from Customer Services in Union Station that will be cashed @ the ticket counter and be Booked into an Amtrak Paid Hotel somewhere in the Chicago Area.

You will also be Booked on the next days City of New Orleans, in Sleeper if available, in Coach if not.( in this case you xwould receive a refund for the Sleeper part of your ticket and you would still be able to eat the meals in the CCC( Heat and eat)

After your trip is over,you could then call Customer Relations to ask about compensation for the missed Sleeper and the delay.

If #2 occurs, head straight for Customer Service inside Union Station fast as you can,( ask your Attendant if not sure where to head for, a Red Cap is a good idea if you have lots of luggage) the early bird gets the Best Hotels and gets their money and out of there First. Usually only 1 Agent handles this, so it can get very busy @ Customer Service!

There's also the possibility, depending on timing, that they would pull you from the train at Galesburg and put you on the bus to Champaign to board the CONO there.

Everything Bob Dylan said is spot on. I would also recommend that if you expect that you're going to miss your connection, call Amtrak as soon as possible to make sure you get the best options before everyone else starts calling.

There may be times when you would want to schedule a night in Chicago anyway just

to make sure you avoid the possibility of connection problems (and to make sure your

overnight accommodations are pleasant and convenient).

Of course there are many hotels in downtown Chicago, but a full service boutique hotel,

with very reasonable room rates, that I've found about five blocks east and one block

north of Union Station, is Club Quarters Central Loop, 111 West Adams at Clark.

The hotel restaurant, open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner is the Elephant Castle Pub

and Restaurant with outstanding food.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also the possibility, depending on timing, that they would pull you from the train at Galesburg and put you on the bus to Champaign to board the CONO there.
This is the preferred way to connect to the CONO if Zephyr will be too late arriving Chicago. Being that Galesburg is 2 hours before Chicago and CONO does not arrive Champaign until almost 11 PM makes this the preferred way to connect since the drive from Galesburg to Champaign is only about 1.5 hours. Only if Zephyr is extremely late like 8 plus hours would Amtrak go the hotel route. And, believe it or not, all trains including the Zephyr do a much better job arriving on time during the Winter months including January. I've ridden the Zephyr in January and February in recent years and was on schedule each time and, yes, I've done the Zephyr to CONO connection several times.

Everything Bob Dylan said is spot on. I would also recommend that if you expect that you're going to miss your connection, call Amtrak as soon as possible to make sure you get the best options before everyone else starts calling.
FULLY AGREE! A few years ago when I saw I was going to blow a California Zephyr to Texas Eagle connection, I got on the phone well before we arrived in Chicago, told the agent what was happening and secured the last Roomette for the next day's Eagle. That way I just had to pick up my meal money and hotel voucher, hop on the shuttle to the hotel and RELAX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back