Impact on Amtrak of the Metrolink Oxnard Derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Train 102 heading Southbound derailed at a grade crossing around 5:45am at 5th Avenue and Rice in Oxnard. Reports are train collided with tractor trailer (truck burst into flames after collision). Appears all 4 passenger cars derailed including 3 laying on their sides. At least 30 injuries. Update indicates at least 1 unknown fatality (unsure if from vehicle or train). Hopefully the load was very light as it was the first early morning train of the morning after its second stop.

This was the first scheduled passenger train of the morning through the area (before Surfliners as well). Metrolink Train 104 is cancelled and train 106 will operate from East Ventura (Montalvo) station to Oxnard Station (a total of one stop down the line). Passengers will be bussed south from that point to LA.

Unknown on the Amtrak contigency plans at this time, however the incident is between Oxnard and Camarillo stations in Ventura County. The rail line is completely blocked and I imagine it will be for a while as the train cars are laying across it and the rails are damaged (bent off the ties and broken). There is only one mainline track in this area.

Story below... images are quite telling looking at the train cars.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/02/24/metrolink-train-derails-in-oxnard-after-colliding-with-train-on-tracks/

Last edited by a moderator:
Due to the Metrolink Derailment in Oxnard the latest word is:

Train 11(23) was annulled at EMY. Passengers were transfered to Capitol Corridor train 527 to OKJ. Train 11 passengers will be bussed from OKJ to intermediate station stops and LAX. Train 11 will turn as Train 14 in the Oakland Yard for tonights departure.

Train 14(24) will be bussed from LAX and intermediate stops EMY (potentially OKJ if plans train). Train 14 will use the turned equipment from Train 11 at the Oakland Yard.

The Pacific Surfliner Trains 768, 774, 790, 796, 763, 769, 777, and 785 will all be using a bussed to get around the affeceted areas.

All trains are listed as "Sold Out" for bus planning purposes. The trackway is closed until further notice as it is damaged and will be closed until the investigation is concluded and repairs are made.

Information is from Amtrak Agents at EMY station as of this morning.

Since there are many Amtrak issues regarding this commuter rail derailment, this thread has reopened.

The latest regarding Amtrak:

Due to the Metrolink Derailment in Oxnard the latest word is:

Train 11(23) was annulled at EMY. Passengers were transfered to Capitol Corridor train 527 to OKJ. Train 11 passengers will be bussed from OKJ to intermediate station stops and LAX. Train 11 will turn as Train 14 in the Oakland Yard for tonights departure.

Train 14(24) will be bussed from LAX and intermediate stops EMY (potentially OKJ if plans train). Train 14 will use the turned equipment from Train 11 at the Oakland Yard.

The Pacific Surfliner Trains 768, 774, 790, 796, 763, 769, 777, and 785 will all be using a bussed to get around the affeceted areas.

All trains are listed as "Sold Out" for bus planning purposes. The trackway is closed until further notice as it is damaged and will be closed until the investigation is concluded and repairs are made.

Information is from Amtrak Agents at EMY station as of this morning.

All trains are listed as "Sold Out" for bus planning purposes.
The southbound Surfliners for this afternoon are listed as "Sold Out" but the northbound ones are not (as of this writing).

In any case, how can an unreserved train be considered "Sold Out"? Anyone with an unreserved Surfliner ticket could

board the bus, presumably.

That is correct. I called Amtrak to ask as I had a friend who was planning to take a trip north today. The CSR stated the buses scheduled would be the only trains that would be allowed to be booked. There wasn't a lot of information provided to them and the information that is provided continues to change and evolve. It is still a fairly fluid situation.

"Sold Out" is the attempt to encourage people not to book the train. Unreserved can't be capped as you mentioned so anyone could board but it discourages those who don't already have a ticket for today from booking one. It isn't formally cancelled but it isn't available to be booked either.

Once the afternoon update is available it should become more clear how long these disruptions will be in place.

We are going to keep two topics open for this incident. This one, in the Amtrak forum, will discuss the impact on Amtrak service. The other topic, in the Commuter forum, will discuses the incident itself. We may move posts from one topic to the other to keep the discussion in each topic focused. if you post in one topic and your post disappears, it was moved to the other topic.

Amtrak put up an alert, saying all service north of LA is canceled. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251627718265

I wonder why they couldn't have run 11/14 and/or some Surfliners as far as SBA.
The track closure is between LA and SBA - specifically Camarillo and Oxnard .. 14 and other trains can't get to SBA today from the south. The southbound 11 could have however. I understand 11 been annuled around Oakland.

Amtrak put up an alert, saying all service north of LA is canceled. http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251627718265

I would imagine the reason 11/14 would not run to SBA is because of servicing. You would have #11 coming down with nearly full waste tanks and low food stores for the dining and cafe cars. The Oakland yards have the ability to fully service the train, as well as restock food items from the commasary there.

I would imagine the reason 11/14 would not run to SBA is because of servicing. You would have #11 coming down with nearly full waste tanks and low food stores for the dining and cafe cars. The Oakland yards have the ability to fully service the train, as well as restock food items from the commasary there.
Plus, this event occurred early enough that Amtrak was able to hold the train when it got to Oakland where they do have the servicing facilities.

Logistically this seems to make the most sense from an Operational Standpoint. As long as they secured the necessary bus seats it makes the most sense. Just means EMY will be a busy place this evening. It was for sure this morning the the 11/527 passenger transfer with the passengers for train 6 and the Sierra Scenic (formally Snow) train as well at the station. Doug (EMY lead agent) tends to handle matters really well and is friendly with the passengers as well (He takes Amtrak In/Out from the Sierra's weekly for work).

It is unfortunate for the passengers who will be bussed instead of riding the CS, however in my opinion that can be preferable to a complete cancellation of service (though others would rather wait a day for another train). Last an incident happened along the CS route I was scheduled on one of the Coastal Bus Connections. All the passengers for the CS who were ticketed were placed on the remaining seats for the normally scheduled Amtrak Thruway buses. Can't say they were happy with the McDonald's lunch stop in King City, however in the end people made conversation and the best of the situation enjoying the 101 scenery.

We are booked on the 14 train LA - Portland on Friday (02/27). Not to make light of this terrible accident but do you think the tracks will be repaired by then? It's not too late to cancel the remainder of our airline & hotel reservations and ride the CS another time.

We are booked on the 14 train LA - Portland on Friday (02/27). Not to make light of this terrible accident but do you think the tracks will be repaired by then? It's not too late to cancel the remainder of our airline & hotel reservations and ride the CS another time.
I don't think you're making light of this at all. It's a valid question. I think it's very likely that the tracks will be re-opened by Friday, but of course

I cannot say that definitively. There does not appear to be significant damage to infrastructure. If any tracks are torn up, they can be quickly

replaced. The on-scene investigation will have long since wrapped up by Friday. The biggest variable will be whether the Coast Starlight equipment

is in place, but that should become apparent by Thursday.

An article earlier today said that Metrolink hoped to resume service Wednesday morning.

That's an awful lot of work to do after the investigation is complete, and I'd imagine that they are really going to want to take a good look at these cars in their first big accident.

I'd ride it out today and see what things look like tomorrow.

Okay, so how does "bussing" work? Do the buses make all the same stops as the train would? Would one bus say travel non-stop for Los Angeles? Do they group the individuals based on where they are going? Do they do rest stops for them? What about meals? I would assume that a bus can make it from EMY to Los Angeles a lot faster than the CS would. Are the buses "motor coaches" (meaning long distance with restroom on board)? Are they Amtrak buses or other kinds?

Please let me know how bussing works with multiple people with multiple destinations.

Please let me know how bussing works with multiple people with multiple destinations.
Varies from situation to situation. Generally speaking an express bus will skip lots of stops and go right

to the end city. For example, when SEA-PDX is disrupted, there is usually a bus that runs directly from

Seattle to Portland with at most a stop in Tacoma. Another bus makes local stops for intermediate

passengers.

If the distance is great enough, there will be a rest stop/meal stop. Sometimes Amtrak will provide box lunches

on board but there is still going to be a "stretch-your-legs" stop along the way. And yes, the buses are long

distance motor coaches as opposed to transit buses. Usually Amtrak does not own the buses but rather

charters them.

In this situation, I have to think that passengers heading from the Bay Area or points north to/from LAX

would actually be put on a San Jouquin train, connecting to regular Thruway service in Bakersfield. So

perhaps the "101 bus" would only be used for people going to/from the intermediate stops, which might

mean that a non-stop express bus may not be needed.

Okay, so how does "bussing" work? Do the buses make all the same stops as the train would? Would one bus say travel non-stop for Los Angeles? Do they group the individuals based on where they are going? Do they do rest stops for them? What about meals? I would assume that a bus can make it from EMY to Los Angeles a lot faster than the CS would. Are the buses "motor coaches" (meaning long distance with restroom on board)? Are they Amtrak buses or other kinds?

I have been bused 3 times. All were charters and LD buses.
One was due to a freight derailment up the line and another was due to scheduled track work along the line. Both had "express (nonstop)" buses to the destinations and "local" buses that made all intermediate stops. The one that was a daytime run had a "break stop" at a restaurant along the way. (We also received a boxed meal.) The other was during the night.

The 3rd was due to a late CS. They had all connecting passengers for the EB bused from Albany to PDX - only a couple of hours on I-5. The rest of the passengers stayed on the CS to their destinations. (BTW -The CS arrived into PDX over 30 minutes after the buses arrived and the EB departed!)

Wow, looks like they are starting back up tomorrow!

http://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices

Amtrak Resumes Limited Service North of Los Angeles on February 25 Limited Service

Amtrak will resume limited train service between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo tomorrow, Feb. 25 after being temporarily suspended due to a Metrolink train incident in Oxnard, CA.

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains will operate on a limited schedule.
Amtrak's Coast Starlight (Los Angeles - Seattle)trains 11 and 14 will operate normally. Passengers can anticipate some delays.

Wow, looks like they are starting back up tomorrow!

http://www.amtrak.com/service-alerts-and-notices

Amtrak Resumes Limited Service North of Los Angeles on February 25 Limited Service

Amtrak will resume limited train service between Los Angeles and San Luis Obispo tomorrow, Feb. 25 after being temporarily suspended due to a Metrolink train incident in Oxnard, CA.

Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains will operate on a limited schedule.
Amtrak's Coast Starlight (Los Angeles - Seattle)trains 11 and 14 will operate normally. Passengers can anticipate some delays.
This evening news showed the cars being lifted by crane to place them back on the track. I guess Union Pacific will be working overnight to repair the track.

I know there is at least one private contractor that specializes in cleaning up after derailments and getting service restored FAST. From time to time the BNSF spills a train in Oklahoma and these guys usually have the line opened within 24-48 hours tops.

Hopefully they are on the job here.

This (11/25) morning at 1110 I heard #14 on the scanner calling signals through the Chatsworth area.

As Amtrak posted last night, the Coast Starlights would resume "normal" service today.

There was a heavy media presence as train 14 rolled through the crossing in Oxnard this morning. The tracks have been repaired for trains to resume service through the area. Full resumption of Amtrak and Metrolink service through the affected crossing will begin with this PM commute period with full all-day resumption on Thursday.

I know there is at least one private contractor that specializes in cleaning up after derailments and getting service restored FAST. From time to time the BNSF spills a train in Oklahoma and these guys usually have the line opened within 24-48 hours tops.

How do the unions let them do that?

How do the unions let them do that?
There's most likely a provision in the union contract for out-sourced emergency services - something that the railroads and the unions negotiated.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back