In San Francisco, Hog a Train Seat and Get a $100 Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I support the idea but those fines are insanely oversized. $25/$50/$100 would probably be enough to get the message across without creating a massive power imbalance. You want the fee to be big enough to be noticed but not so big that people are hesitant to report and enforce it. You also don't want to create a situation where someone on a power trip or an agency with budget problems have an incentive to cause severe financial pain without recourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I support the idea but those fines are insanely oversized. $25/$50/$100 would probably be enough to get the message across without creating a massive power imbalance. You want the fee to be big enough to be noticed but not so big that people are hesitant to report and enforce it. You also don't want to create a situation where someone on a power trip or an agency with budget problems have an incentive to cause severe financial pain without recourse.
Especially the $500 for the third. That's about half the fine for illegally parking in a handicap spot!

Should it really be a fine-able offense to place a back pack on a seat?
Absolutely. The fines only come into effect if they refuse to move or revert to their original setup after being asked.
Right-O. If the train is near empty, put your backpack or bag of groceries wherever, no fine.

If there is SRO, and you "spread yourself" and refuse to yield the seat-space -- good to make it official that anti-social J**ass*s and A**ho*s pay a fine. Probably won't help much, but --

San Francisco is INSANELY expensive to live in.

San Francisco is INSANELY expensive to live in.
Many of the people who work in San Francisco or travel through San Francisco don't actually live in San Francisco or make San Francisco sized salaries.

It's a fare gate system, like the DC metro. You either insert a ticket with value loaded on it or touch a permanent card (Clipper) and then go through the gate when it opens. You'd need the assistance of the station agent to ring up multiple fares, and even then I doubt you could do it. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do it.

Going out and coming back in won't do it either - you insert your ticket/touch your card to exit, which subtracts the value and ends your ride. Even if you didn't ride.

I doubt you're going to see many citations issued for this kind of stuff. It seems more like a tool to use to solve particular problems that come up from time to time, rather than effort to enforce a general code of behaviour. It answers, and ends, the argument "where does it say I can't do this?"

Back