In Search of Domes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnsommer2013

Train Attendant
I know Amtrak's Great Dome will be part of The Adirondack's consist again this autumn, and it got me thinking: where else can one still ride aboard a dome car? Superliner Sightseer lounge cars are okay, but somehow the old dome cars seem cooler! What are some of your favorite dome car memories?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's it for Amtrak.....but there's Pullman Rail Journeys and other private and tourist operators. And in Canada, besides VIA's Canadian there's the Park Car on the Ocean.

I rode in a dome on the Grand Canyon Railway. Be advised that the scenery between the Canyon and Williams is not all that great; still, the dome is the way to fly.

Since I'm old, Domes used to be all over,even on unscenic routes, but my best Pre-Amtrak Dome Car memory ( Ive been in Ocean View on a Surfliner and the Adirodack)has to be riding the MoPac Texas Eagle from Austin to St. Louis when I was on the way to Navy Boot Camp!

I had a Roomette and ate in the Diner ( the Food was Excellent and paid for with Govt Meal Tickets!), but spent most of my waking hours in the Dome!

In those days the Eagle ran through East Texas from Taylor to Longview (missing Dallas and Ft Worth)and left Austin @5pm, Arriving STL @ 10am!! Had Dinner in the Diner and sat in the Dome on a Moonlit Summer Evening watching T- Showers light the Sky and the Piney Woods of East Texas and Arkansas, then slept like a baby till the Porter ( they still called them that in those days!)woke me up for a Shower and Coffee! The Diner Steward came through playing his chimes and Announcing Breakfast!I was the first one to the Diner!!

I still remember eating and then going up to the Dome as the Train rolled along side the Mighty Mississippi as the Sun rose and into St. Louis and we did a backing move up the Hill into Busy and Beautiful Union Station!

Still a great Memory, guess you had to be there!

We were bused to the Airport and I took my first 707 ride on a Jet to California! Don't have a clue why I was routed this way, its the Navy, but boy was I glad!

Reality set in when we were met @_Plane side by a Gray Ghost and headed for NTC and Camp Nimitz!!!

HERE is an old web site that was last updated many years ago. The fellow who ran it passed away some time ago. He was an AU member and his web site is still usable to see many, many dome cars. I was fortunate enough to have some of the photos I took to be included in his collection.

Enjoy!

A dome car which has been part of a business train consist just came up for sale today on Ozark Mountain Railcar today. It can be yours for just short of a million bucks, and you can take it wherever you want.

I was 'converted' into railfandom back in 1968, when my friend who was an avid railfan talked me into taking a ride on a train he called "The Convincer", (as in convince me to become interested in trains).

We flew from NYC to Chicago in the morning, and made our way to Union Station. At about noon, the first of three announcements were made for passenger's to check in for

Burlington Train Number 23, The Afternoon Twin Cities Zephyr; followed a short time later by Northern Pacific Train Number 25, The Vista-Dome North Coast Limited; and finally by Great Northern Train Number 31, The Great Dome Empire Builder. They had these elaborate rolling check-in desks with illuminated train logo's, where the Conductor and Pullman Conductor lifted tickets in the concourse. We finally boarded, and since we were only going to Minneapolis, were ticketed on the Afternoon Zephyr. But it was combined during the off-season with the other two trains, and what a fantastic consist it offered. There were stainless steel Burlington Vista Dome coaches, there were Northern Pacific Raymond Loewy styled two-tone green Vista Dome Sleeper Lounges ("The Lounge in the Sky"), There was the Great Norther Great Dome Lounge....several other dome coaches on the Seattle trains as well as diner's, lounges, coffee shop's, etc. All told their must have been more than 8 domes on that train. It made the five on the CZ pale in comparison.

Even though we weren't supposed to, we managed to tour the entire train, even the dome lounges reserved for Pullman passenger's.

And yes....it did its job....it "convinced me".... ;) :)

The Hiwassee River Rail Excursions (operated byTVRM) out of Etowah, TN down the old L&N 'hook and eye' line to Copperhill, TN are using a pair of privately owned dome cars for premium space. One of them is the one former CP Park Car that VIA let get away.

I found a dome car this past week in North Conway, New Hampshire!

dome1w.jpg

dome2w.jpg

I don't have experiences to share but I'm planning to ride VIA Rail's Skeena next year which carries one "Park" dome-observation car. I believe the Hudson Bay carries a "Skyline" mid-train dome car.

Both of these are often called pocket streamliners today.

I guess one should check out the dome used in the 1976 film "Silver Streak": http://trainweb.org/DOMEmain/picCP15407b.jpg.

Now: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickstransportpics/5982206709/sizes/l.

Anyone remember Gene Wilder getting kicked off and watching that railcar fade away?

I remember Gene Wilder in that scene very well.

As tourist railways go, the Conway Scenic offers a very good bang for the buck. It runs two trains, the more interesting being the "Notch Train" on the old Maine Central Mountain Division through Crawford Notch to Fabyans, New Hampshire. The rolling stock is in good shape and the train travels at a pretty good clip, unlike many tourist trains which at best just crawl along on a short length of rickety track. And for an extra fare you can ride in a dome.

I remember riding in Dome cars from Chicago to Denver a lot (this must have been before the trains went on the Moffat Road since we were heading to Winter Park) and once to LA. I must have ridden in them on other trips, like to Philly/NYC or Florida from Chicago since we took the train to both at least once when I was a kid in the 70's but I don't know if they had Dome cars then (assume not to the northeast).

Back