In the spirit of silly rules...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appropriate footwear is always important. And some people may simply be unable to get it. I've met people who wear sandals because it's the only thing they can find which is tolerable for their feet.

I actually just spent a large amount of time and money (involving four Amtrak trips to New York City) getting orthotic arch supports and special shoes (I have very weird feet). The difference is amazing; it's nice being able to walk without pain.

Shoes from a hygiene point makes sense.

but for car to car? Its a small gap to just step over .

heck if the car was like a NY subway it would make no difference to me . Mind the gap, step over it and move on .

Heck they provide grab irons wrapped in candycane tape .

I really dont see the big deal .

What *are* considered "proper" shoes? I understand the need for shoes (for hygiene, as mentioned, to prevent slipping, etc), but where does the line get drawn? Flipflops? Sandals? Slippers with rubber soles?

What *are* considered "proper" shoes? I understand the need for shoes (for hygiene, as mentioned, to prevent slipping, etc), but where does the line get drawn? Flipflops? Sandals? Slippers with rubber soles?
One safety concern is getting your toes nipped off by the moving plates between the cars. You never know when you might hit rough track and get thrown off balance and your feet end up where they shouldn't be.

I thought of that after I posted. My last trip was punctuated by a nice rainstorm between Reno and Salt Lake City. The platforms got a bit wet, and I could see someone less steady than I slipping on them.

One safety concern is getting your toes nipped off by the moving plates between the cars. You never know when you might hit rough track and get thrown off balance and your feet end up where they shouldn't be.
With the forces involved, all anything but a steel-toed boot would do is keep your now salsa-resembling toes contained in a nice package to minimize the cleanup.

With the forces involved, all anything but a steel-toed boot would do is keep your now salsa-resembling toes contained in a nice package to minimize the cleanup.
Agreed.

Most of the time the movement of the plates between cars can be reasonably anticipated but over the years I've crossed some tracks that had deteriorated to the point where the cars jostled excessively and behaved in ways I was not expecting. If you ever got tripped up in one those situations you'd need industrial work boots to have much hope of recovering unscathed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I cross between cars, I grab the Candy Cane Handle on the opposite car and pull myself over, being sure NOT to step on the Striker Plate Gap. Quick, smooth and safe.

http://www.amtrak.com/personal-safety

"Wear shoes at all times and use caution when wearing shoes without rubber soles."

Well that's pretty generic. Seems to me that just about anything could be considered a "shoe". Is there another policy that is not easily found so that the crew can consider a shoe inappropriate?

http://www.amtrak.com/personal-safety

"Wear shoes at all times and use caution when wearing shoes without rubber soles."

Well that's pretty generic. Seems to me that just about anything could be considered a "shoe". Is there another policy that is not easily found so that the crew can consider a shoe inappropriate?
Exactly....

I have nuropathy and some days I cant feel my feet . I wear those funky toe shoes as they are thin enough to let me feel the places I step...... If I I had big boots on then I am More in danger of falling and being injured .

I have been picked on by OBS in the past for them........ Most are shocked to know how bad it is to have no feeling in your feet .

I have been picked on by OBS in the past for them........ Most are shocked to know how bad it is to have no feeling in your feet .
First of all, sorry to hear of your disability, A neuropathy is no fun, to be sure.

But the policy is that "shoes must be worn." It doesn't specify what kind of shoes, etc. It's a pretty lax requirement, because, as I said, even flip-flops qualify as "shoes." I wouldn't even consider wearing flip-flops on a train, but I can see someone doing it, OBS calling them out on it, and a disagreement ensuing.

If it's up to the discretion of OBS, it leaves a pretty wide area for interpretation.

First of all, sorry to hear of your disability, A neuropathy is no fun, to be sure.

But the policy is that "shoes must be worn." It doesn't specify what kind of shoes, etc. It's a pretty lax requirement, because, as I said, even flip-flops qualify as "shoes." I wouldn't even consider wearing flip-flops on a train, but I can see someone doing it, OBS calling them out on it, and a disagreement ensuing.

If it's up to the discretion of OBS, it leaves a pretty wide area for interpretation.
Or in my cynical terms . If its up to a OBS then you have a non MD person whom I highly doubt knows PU from latex deciding fate of some soul.....

The rules regarding employee footwear are very clear; but the rule covering passenger footwear, as I recall, simply says "shoes". I don't think that rule actually defines "shoes". We tried to define it pretty liberally, and we drew the line at something that had no sole (like socks). Some kind of sole can help on uneven surfaces, such as mismatched thresholds on coupled cars. We also preferred closed and covered toes, but the rule was so vague that almost anything could be defined as a "shoe".

I'm sure it must be rough to have no feeling in the feet. However, I would think that would make it all the more important to give your feet maximum protection.

Tom

Tripping is more of a hazard to me and more importantly to Others then my toes .... I take others safety very seriously and dont at any point in time put them at any risk no matter how mild ...

tripping is a hazard no matter where I am in the train ......... "cut off toes" are in less then 5% of the trains area to walk .

therefor I take tripping as a statistically more important issue .

Here are the shoes in question that the OBS on the train a while back was SOOO fussy about http://www.footwearetc.com/mens/athletic/_/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-light-grey/red/grey-mens/#sthash.ciJcqxti.dpbs

they are closed toe and are soled ....... just thin and are really funky.. * and darn comfy too! *

Tripping is more of a hazard to me and more importantly to Others then my toes .... I take others safety very seriously and dont at any point in time put them at any risk no matter how mild ...

tripping is a hazard no matter where I am in the train ......... "cut off toes" are in less then 5% of the trains area to walk .

therefor I take tripping as a statistically more important issue .

Here are the shoes in question that the OBS on the train a while back was SOOO fussy about http://www.footwearetc.com/mens/athletic/_/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-light-grey/red/grey-mens/#sthash.ciJcqxti.dpbs

they are closed toe and are soled ....... just thin and are really funky.. * and darn comfy too! *
Many of my friends who are runners wear those. They love them.

slips trips and falls account for almost ten million hospital visits in the US each year.

the single most important prevention element is good footwear

one would be foolish to navigate a train barefoot,,, although steel toes are not required

I can see that those shoes do appear to offer pretty good protection, and I can also see that the separate toes might have prompted questions in the mind of a railroad crew member. I think the crew member was probably concerned that one or two toes could be caught in an opening, such as the gap you find between cars. In that situation, I think I might have mentioned the potential problem to you and suggested that you take extra care. Sometimes it's very hard to phrase such a suggestion perfectly, so that the point is made without sounding like a complaint or criticism. I have a feeling the intent may have been more benign than your interpretation.

Bottom line: Nobody wants you to hurt your feet.

Tom

I wouldn't even consider wearing flip-flops on a train, but I can see someone doing it, OBS calling them out on it, and a disagreement ensuing.
I use flip-flops on my train trips to walk between the roomette and restroom and/or shower (generally only during the overnight hours). I've run into sleeping car attendants and conductors a couple times with flip-flops on, but they've never said anything. I would never consider wearing flip-flops outside the sleeping car, though.

I wouldn't even consider wearing flip-flops on a train, but I can see someone doing it, OBS calling them out on it, and a disagreement ensuing.
I use flip-flops on my train trips to walk between the roomette and restroom and/or shower (generally only during the overnight hours). I've run into sleeping car attendants and conductors a couple times with flip-flops on, but they've never said anything. I would never consider wearing flip-flops outside the sleeping car, though.
Ditto.

I know that Piedmont have 2 conductors but one is doing baggage the other does passengers at stations stops CLT GRO DNC CYN RGH. I think that's one reason I think the Piedmont need train attendant esp. Busy times weekends,holidays,panthers, and special events.

VS

Carolinian CLT-NYP has 2conductors, bus class train attendant, coach class train attendant.

So had station stops like CLT,GRO,DNC,RGH,RMT

1st conductor works baggage

1st train attendant business class door.

2nd train attendant coach class door between 1&2 car

2nd conductor coach class door door between 2&3 car or 3&4 depend on how busy, and groups getting on and off.

Other stations stops like SAL,HPT

1st train attendant/1st conductor business class door.

2nd train attendant coach class door 1/2 cars

2nd conductor coach class door 2/3 cars

But some stations that have short platform like KAN,BNC,SSM,

1st train attendant/1st conductor business class door.

2nd train attendant/2nd conductor coach class door 1/2 cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back