Indianapolis Station and Crown Plaza Hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deni

Lead Service Attendant
I had a question about Indy Amtrak station that maybe someone here knows. My wife will be starting a new job for an Indy-based company but staying in Chicago and working remotely. She will on occasion have to go to Indy and if the days work out right she'll take the train. Now, being a woman alone in an unfamiliar city the arrival time is not great for the train. But with the Crown Plaza right there it's really a good hotel choice.

I've been to Indy before and walked through the old parts of the station that are now part of the hotel, but I'm wondering if there is a direct entrance to the hotel from the current Amtrak station next door? I've not been inside the station at all so don't know the layout. My wife would be forever appreciative for some info before her first trip down. Thanks!

No. The station is not next door. It is on the other side of the track viaduct over the street.

There is no internal access between the hotel and the Greyhound (Amtrak) station. I've been in that station several times and there is no access or door out of the station northwards towards the Crowne Plaza. If I were a guest at the Crowne Plaza I'd count that as a good thing. You have to walk down the long Illinois St underpass under the tracks. That kind of kills it for me, especially for the late night arrival of the train from Chicago.

No. The station is not next door. It is on the other side of the track viaduct over the street.

There is no internal access between the hotel and the Greyhound (Amtrak) station. I've been in that station several times and there is no access or door out of the station northwards towards the Crowne Plaza. If I were a guest at the Crowne Plaza I'd count that as a good thing. You have to walk down the long Illinois St underpass under the tracks. That kind of kills it for me, especially for the late night arrival of the train from Chicago.
I was afraid of that. Dark underpass at night, not great. Thanks for the info.

I’ve stayed at the crown plaza and caught the cardinal early morning. The Indianapolis Amtrak / greyhound is my least favorite station in the Amtrak system. It feels the least safe of any station I’ve ever been to I think.

The walk is pretty direct and was thankfully uneventful for me. I think I felt more iffy being inside the station than walking under the tracks.

Back