Indianapolis station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local station (Wilmington, DE, picture below) has the "exposed beams and riverts" look as well, but this is partially because trains come through right above the station (not elevated over the station, right on top of the station). Ground level entrance, tracks up stairs in rear of picture.

Of course, this is a "classic era" station, built in 1908 and designed by Frank Furness (the interior, otherthan the columns and ceiling have been repeatedly redone). Its meant to be utilitarian- and somehow looks warmer. (I do miss the old flipboard sign with train statuses, but thats a whole other issue).
train station.png

And unfortunate 'rule of thumb' for train stations is that long benches promote people sleeping on them. 50+ years ago, passengers sometimes had long waits between trains and horizontal for a while made sense, especially in smaller stations. But since then, homeless people have become commonplace in train and bus stations. Cuts in station staffing plus the growing difficulty of removing them has resulted in Amtrak and bus companies (I'm sure) making changes.

Among them is to create bench seating with handrails between each position making it impossible to sleep on them...unless your a small-framed adult or child.

I first encountered the worlds' most uncomforatble seats (benches with arm rests) in Pittsburgh about 10 years ago when I spent the10 hours between arriving on the Pennsylvanian and departing the next morning on the Capitol Ltd. It was a 1 night/no hotel 'triangle' trip I planned. I won't be doing that again, especially as only the candy/chips vending machine was working...no coffee or soda. I soon discovered that the worlds' most uncomfortable seating started spreading throughout Amtrak...SPG, WAS, IND, etc.

I spent an hour or so at IND after being bused from a late #6 at Galesburg 6-7 years ago. I recall several homeless sleeping along the walls here and there. But then, given that IND only sees 3 trains each way per week, and only at horrible hours, who or what is to stop the homeless from being there?

And unfortunate 'rule of thumb' for train stations is that long benches promote people sleeping on them. 50+ years ago, passengers sometimes had long waits between trains and horizontal for a while made sense, especially in smaller stations. But since then, homeless people have become commonplace in train and bus stations. Cuts in station staffing plus the growing difficulty of removing them has resulted in Amtrak and bus companies (I'm sure) making changes.

Among them is to create bench seating with handrails between each position making it impossible to sleep on them...unless your a small-framed adult or child.

I first encountered the worlds' most uncomforatble seats (benches with arm rests) in Pittsburgh about 10 years ago when I spent the10 hours between arriving on the Pennsylvanian and departing the next morning on the Capitol Ltd. It was a 1 night/no hotel 'triangle' trip I planned. I won't be doing that again, especially as only the candy/chips vending machine was working...no coffee or soda. I soon discovered that the worlds' most uncomfortable seating started spreading throughout Amtrak...SPG, WAS, IND, etc.

I spent an hour or so at IND after being bused from a late #6 at Galesburg 6-7 years ago. I recall several homeless sleeping along the walls here and there. But then, given that IND only sees 3 trains each way per week, and only at horrible hours, who or what is to stop the homeless from being there?
It's a Greyhound station with an occasional Amtrak train. Greyhound has the overwhelming majority of the traffic there.

Back