Infill Amtrak stops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's going to be tough to beat Minneapolis - Google reports a population of 425,403, and I can't immediately think of a city that large that Amtrak doesn't stop at inside the city limits (realistically, it'd have to be a metro area with multiple large municipalities.)
Prior to Amtrak...most all trains serving the Twin Cities, stopped at both cities...St. Paul Union Depot, and either the Great Northern, or the Milwaukee Road station in Minneapolis. When Amtrak began in 1971, they skipped St. Paul, until the Midway Station was opened half way between them in 1978. Now they only serve St. Paul.

In my neck of the woods there is a grassroots movement afoot to establish a stop at Ritzville, WA, halfway between Spokane and Pasco. Ritzville is currently a Thruway stop, and was once upon a time a stop for the Northern Pacific's North Coast Limited, amongst other trains. Selfishly I'd like to see this, but it is immensely impractical. Ritzville is a town of about 1700, and there aren't many large population centers nearby. The only ones of any size at all are Moses Lake, 45 miles away(population 24,500) and Othello, also about 45 miles away (population 8700). And Othello is about that close to Pasco, which offers checked baggage which Ritzville surely wouldn't. Moses Lake is about 70 miles from Pasco, but again Pasco offers checked luggage. The boarding and retraining times would range from not great but not horrible to positively awful. Eastbound it would arrive there around 10:30 PM or so, and westbound would be around 4AM. It would be about 15 minutes longer for me to drive there than Spokane, and surely it wouldn't cost an arm, two legs, my firstborn, several units of blood, and a note from my mother to park like it does in Spokane. Ritzville does already have a station; it serves as a museum of railroad memorabilia. I'd love to see it but don't think it's practical.

Arlington, Texas, has a population just under 400,000 -- but if I recall correctly, the Texas Eagle generally doesn't pass through anymore (because it usually runs on the TRE tracks, which are further north).

Lots of smaller cities have been dropped thru the years, not because of reroutes, but other reasons. Other's have been added, in some cases as nearby replacements, but not always...
Places like Akron, Co, Monmouth and Aurora, Il, on the Zephyr...

If an Amtrak train is to stop in Minneapolis, it would have to take a route different from today's Empire Builder route in order to arrive at the currently used station. I believe the GN Western Star used the route in question, heading west to Willmar, then north to Fargo.

Yeah, any stop on the Builder would either require a significant backup move, a reroute, or building a new stop. None of these, as far as I'm aware, have progressed beyond railfan dreaming at this point.

The most likely scenario for Minneapolis to get an Amtrak stop, especially if we exclude any potential Thruway service expansion, would be through Amtrak operating the Northern Lights Express whenever it gets funding. It's basically at shovel-ready status, and just needs funding to be built and start operation.

The most likely scenario for Minneapolis to get an Amtrak stop, especially if we exclude any potential Thruway service expansion, would be through Amtrak operating the Northern Lights Express whenever it gets funding. It's basically at shovel-ready status, and just needs funding to be built and start operation.
Were the mid-80's the last conventional service on this route?

The Amtrak Northstar, made its last run between Midway Station and Duluth in 1985...
http://www.timetables.org/full.php?group=19850428&item=0054
Thanks, that's what I thought but wasn't sure. It seems like an odd choice for high(er) speed service after a 35 year hiatus, rather than just restoration of something less - even after reading the linked proposal. It seems like more a candidate for Downeaster or Ethan Allen type of service. Maybe even an ideal route for RDC's (as discussed previously;)). With the weather in that part of the country I don't know how well a modern MU would function.

On the Crescent route you have Leeds, AL which is 18 miles east of B'ham with a population of 12,000. Then there is Pell City, AL which is 30 miles east of B'ham with a population of 14,000. At or near Pell City is a Honda plant an Talladega Motor Speedway.

I don't really care what Wikipedia says, (don't understand how to pronounce "keɪroʊ") my SIL's parents lived in Cairo, Ga until they died ... I have heard with my own ears how the people who live there pronounce it

Another pronunciation I used to chuckle about was Durant, Mississippi, when the City went there...
Conductor Woody Vinson would pronounce it: "DOO- rant"

Back