Ingredient Lists for Meals in the Dining Car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on my experience, I concluded that since Amtrak is intolerant of people who must ask ingredient questions to be safe in eating Amtrak foods; lacking knowledge of the answers to basic ingredient questions about their menu items; unwilling to help passengers be food-safe on their trains; and since its employees are empowered by management to act aggressively or with hostility against passengers for asking ingredient questions, the most positive and safe option for passengers with food allergies is to bring your own food and to plan on completely disregarding all Amtrak dining experiences. This approach keeps Amtrak pacified and passengers fed.

Based on my experience, I concluded that since Amtrak is intolerant of people who must ask ingredient questions to be safe in eating Amtrak foods; lacking knowledge of the answers to basic ingredient questions about their menu items; unwilling to help passengers be food-safe on their trains; and since its employees are empowered by management to act aggressively or with hostility against passengers for asking ingredient questions, the most positive and safe option for passengers with food allergies is to bring your own food and to plan on completely disregarding all Amtrak dining experiences. This approach keeps Amtrak pacified and passengers fed.

I'm really sorry to hear of your unpleasant experience. Nearly one year later, earlier today actually, I attempted to do something very similar in the dining car. My experience with the staff was great and I hope Amtrak has changed for the better in this regard.

I am pretty gluten intolerant and I needed to find something to have tonight for dinner on the Lake Shore Limited. I went to the dining car and spoke to the attendant. His answer at first was they can't guarantee any of their items are allergen-free. So I told him to go specifically ask about a dish I could have without gluten. He did go ask someone in the kitchen that heats up the entrees and she did say she was not sure and that there's a chance all of the items may have gluten. So he came back and told me that.

So, I was very polite and kind and asked to see the outer packaging which hopefully could provide an ingredient list. I asked about the Beef Burgundy in particular. The lady in the kitchen was kind enough to bring out one of the Beef Burgundy frozen entrees and I looked it over and it seems safe for me to eat tonight.

I took a photo of the label and thanked her very much for her time and assistance. She also let me know they were fully stocked, so I'd have no problem getting one even though I had one of the last dinner seatings for tonight.

I'm attaching the photo here, so everyone can look at the ingredient list and determine if this option could work for them. I hope others can perhaps also post photos here of the various food items in the future (if the staff on your train is accommodating as mine was). I think that would be very useful for those of us that are concerned about what's in the food we are being served.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
On another thread we posted the labels of just about every flex meal. I'll try to find it. I recall they had a lot of chemical additives in the recipes. I am not against the concept of the flex meal but Amtrak with those flex meals is serving us the absolute bottom of the barrel most likely being purchased from a vendor not for quality but because of the lowest possible price. We've had supermarket frozen dinners and airline foods that were far superior. Come on now Amtrak give your highest paying customers better.

On another thread we posted the labels of just about every flex meal. I'll try to find it. I recall they had a lot of chemical additives in the recipes. I am not against the concept of the flex meal but Amtrak with those flex meals is serving us the absolute bottom of the barrel most likely being purchased from a vendor not for quality but because of the lowest possible price. We've had supermarket frozen dinners and airline foods that were far superior. Come on now Amtrak give your highest paying customers better.

Thank you, I would really like to look over that thread with every ingredient label. Agreed 1000% about the preservatives and chemicals in the Amtrak flex meals. The highest paying customers definitely deserve better.

Back