Interactive LD route map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
I created an interactive map of all LD routes on Google Maps, from the data available at the USDOT Bureau of Transportation Statistics. The cool thing is that it shows the exact routes (AFAIK), and you can zoom in as far as Google will go.

I included stations, but you can deselect the layer for a less cluttered view.

Feel free to peruse and enjoy, at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1AY-w-dFPfNuVDuDG-vCQ8FGOjwu8_E8&usp=sharing.

I love it thanks, this is also really great for Android phones since Google doesn't show Amtrak lines.

Just curious though does the CS not use the point defiance bypass?

I love it thanks, this is also really great for Android phones since Google doesn't show Amtrak lines.

All Portland-Seattle Amtrak trains use the Point Defiance Bypass, both Cascades and Starlight.

The Point Defiance Bypass very roughly parallels I 5 between Tacoma and Nisqually.

The new Tacoma station is on the Point Defiance line. The old one on Puyallup Ave is a boarded up, graffitied up mess.

Although the USDOT says the data was updated 5/5/22, the detail description says, "The Amtrak Routes dataset is as of June 18, 2019 from the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)." Route changes after 6/18/19 probably will not be reflected on the map. Station info "is as of October 28, 2021."

Good job on this. Being able to select a single route as well as turning stations of or on is nice. I like the zoom range possible.

Noticed it picked up the two possible routes between Tucson and Benson, AZ (Tracks 1 and 2) which is not shown on Transitdocs or Amtrak's map. At the Cienega Creek Bridge Track 1 passes over Track 2. I have traveled both on the Sunset Limited.
I also checked the Houston to Beaumont area which has two possible routes: Shown on Transitdocs but not Amatrak's map. From traveling that route, my GPS track logs indeed recorded two different routes.
This minutiae is probably not important for the casual rider but it is the kind of thing I find interesting.
That might be related to joelkfla's post #5 about update dates.

Last edited:
Good job on this. Being able to select a single route as well as turning stations of or on is nice. I like the zoom range possible.

Noticed it picked up the two possible routes between Tucson and Benson, AZ (Tracks 1 and 2) which is not shown on Transitdocs or Amtrak's map. At the Cienega Creek Bridge Track 1 passes over Track 2. I have traveled both on the Sunset Limited.
I also checked the Houston to Beaumont area which has two possible routes: Shown on Transitdocs but not Amatrak's map. From traveling that route, my GPS track logs indeed recorded two different routes.
This minutiae is probably not important for the casual rider but it is the kind of thing I find interesting.
That might be related to joelkfla's post #5 about update dates.
Thanks. I should have mentioned that clicking on either a route on the map or its name on the left panel will highlight it.

You can also click on a station on the map to display basic info about it. Clicking on the down arrow below Amtrak LD Stations on the left panel will open a list of station codes, and then clicking on a station code will locate it on the map and open the info panel.

Back