International may be next to go

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
The International, which runs between Chicago and Toronto, may be one of the next train cuts to be announced. This week Amtrak eliminated the ticket agent at the Port Huron station, which is perceived as a sign that the station soon may not serve any more trains. Port Huron is the easternmost station in the United States served by the International, and it's the site of customs procedures for the westbound International when it enters the country from Canada.

The article about this is here.

By the way, don't book your "last trip" on this train just yet. It would be subject to the 180-day notice rule since it is the only Amtrak train on the line, at least between Battle Creek, MI and Toronto. West of Battle Creek is also covered by the three Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac round trips. There is other service operated by Via Rail Canada over the same route between Sarnia, London, and Toronto. Such notice has not been given.

Well, if the states want their train(s) then they pay. I feel by closing stations and laying off ticket agents Gunn is giving a taste of the future and maybe the states will take a different view.

One reason that might be behind the loss of ridership is the fact that this train's equipment has been downgraded from Superliners to those lowly commuter coach-like Horizon cars that are the mainstay of the other Midwestern routes. But the International is far longer that Chicago-Detroit-Pontiac or Chicago-St. Louis, and it should have better equipment for what is an all-day trip if one travels end-to-end. Even some surplus Amfleet I's that used to be Metroliner coaches would be a big improvement.

I've ridden in a Horizon coach, and I can see why someone wouldn't want to make an all-day trip in one. Riding in the coach between St. Louis and Chicago was getting extremely uncomfortable. If I was to take the International to Toronto, I'd probably spend the whole trip in the lounge car because it would be more comfortable than 12 hours in the cramped coach seating.

I just noticed looking at Amtrak's website that the International is considered a part of the Michigan regional service instead of a long distance train. That would explain why Amtrak uses the Horizon cars instead of Superliners or Amfleet IIs.

EmpireBuilderFan said:
I've ridden in a Horizon coach, and I can see why someone wouldn't want to make an all-day trip in one. Riding in the coach between St. Louis and Chicago was getting extremely uncomfortable. If I was to take the International to Toronto, I'd probably spend the whole trip in the lounge car because it would be more comfortable than 12 hours in the cramped coach seating.I just noticed looking at Amtrak's website that the International is considered a part of the Michigan regional service instead of a long distance train. That would explain why Amtrak uses the Horizon cars instead of Superliners or Amfleet IIs.
Until last year, Superliners were the regular equipment on both the International and the Pere Marquette, another Michigan-sponsored train between Grand Rapids and Chicago. However because of needs elsewhere due to unfortunate wrecks, they were pulled from these routes.

Superliners have been used on short-haul routes before. Before the Talgos were introduced to the Northwest, Superliners were used on the Portland-Seattle trains (the ones in addition to the Coast Starlight).

This week Amtrak eliminated the ticket agent at the Port Huron station, which is perceived as a sign that the station soon may not serve any more trains. Port Huron is the easternmost station in the United States served by the International, and it's the site of customs procedures for the westbound International when it enters the country from Canada.
This might not necessarily be true if Rouses Point, NY the Customs stop on the Adirondack is not a staffed station. However, I'm not sure if it is or not.

tp49 said:
This week Amtrak eliminated the ticket agent at the Port Huron station, which is perceived as a sign that the station soon may not serve any more trains. Port Huron is the easternmost station in the United States served by the International, and it's the site of customs procedures for the westbound International when it enters the country from Canada.
This might not necessarily be true if Rouses Point, NY the Customs stop on the Adirondack is not a staffed station. However, I'm not sure if it is or not.
Rouses Point is the northernmost station in the USA served by the Adirondack.

Superliner Diner said:
EmpireBuilderFan said:
I've ridden in a Horizon coach, and I can see why someone wouldn't want to make an all-day trip in one.  Riding in the coach between St. Louis and Chicago was getting extremely uncomfortable.  If I was to take the International to Toronto, I'd probably spend the whole trip in the lounge car because it would be more comfortable than 12 hours in the cramped coach seating.I just noticed looking at Amtrak's website that the International is considered a part of the Michigan regional service instead of a long distance train.  That would explain why Amtrak uses the Horizon cars instead of Superliners or Amfleet IIs.
Until last year, Superliners were the regular equipment on both the International and the Pere Marquette, another Michigan-sponsored train between Grand Rapids and Chicago. However because of needs elsewhere due to unfortunate wrecks, they were pulled from these routes.

Superliners have been used on short-haul routes before. Before the Talgos were introduced to the Northwest, Superliners were used on the Portland-Seattle trains (the ones in addition to the Coast Starlight).
Correct me if I'm worng here (because this is out of my knowledge range), but doesn't the International run from NYP-Toronto? This would make it impossible to get Superliner equipment into NYP. Like I said I could be wrong, and the run is only from Albany to Toronto (or something like that).

battalion51 said:
Correct me if I'm worng here (because this is out of my knowledge range), but doesn't the International run from NYP-Toronto? This would make it impossible to get Superliner equipment into NYP. Like I said I could be wrong, and the run is only from Albany to Toronto (or something like that).
The International runs from Chicago to Toronto, it never gets anywhere near NYC let alone NY State. The Maple Leaf is the train that runs from NYC to Toronto.

tp49 said:
tp49,

I apologize for misreading the intent of your post. When I said that the elimination of the ticket agent in Port Huron was perceived as a sign that the station may soon see no more trains, I was referring to the content of the article I cited in the parent note above. I realize you were only referring to Rouses Point as a similar station near the border that also is a customs stop for trains entering the country. And Rouses Point does not have an agent, yet the Adirondack continues to be a popular train.

I think that any subsequent purchase of equipment (Viewliners) should include for short-haul, to solve the problem with Horizons which should either be refurbed or scrapped, as they don't seem to do much good in their current condition.

Diner,

No problem, sometimes I miss the intent of what I am saying. I was just arguing the other side of the issue I surely hope the author if the article read more into the elimination of this position than I did. :)

Viewliner said:
I think that any subsequent purchase of equipment (Viewliners) should include for short-haul, to solve the problem with Horizons which should either be refurbed or scrapped, as they don't seem to do much good in their current condition.
The route is being dropped because of funding, not because of equipment shortage (even though that is still a problem).

I do believe that the panic box Superliner coaches were designed for the corridor travel. That way they didn't have to loan a sightseer just in order to have a lounge car....a typical consist would be three cars...a coach handicapped, a coach panic box, and a coach baggage.

Also, I don't blame people for not wanting a long trip on the horizon fleet. I typically ride either horizon or amfleet between CHI and BLM on 304 for getting between school and home. Once, I was on a horizon going north, and there was a poor woman who was riding all the way from KCY to CHI on the dang horizon coach....she was saying she couldnt' wait to get off the damn thing.

They use the superliners in the winter that train needs to stay that is the best train Michigan has it serves MSU you can have over 100 people that board 365 and about 50-80 people that board 364 we call them Amtrak 88 and Amtrak 85 because that is what CN calls them the train gets a lot of riders.

I hope the International stays, and doesn't end up like the Kentucky Cardinal. :( :( :(

I also noticed that this thread has been here scince Dec 17th, so I think the International will be ok! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back