Introduction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran across this forum and someone mentioned "Bucket list" which got my attention since I have been interested in taking a few rail trips around the country. Haven't been on a train since 1964. Although, I have been on many, ones starting at 10 years old. Always coach: Portland, OR to Denver--10 years with Mother to Denver from Portland, OR round trip--12 years old unacompanied same trip one way, train was called The Portland Rose--At 14 from Little Rock,Arkansas to Portland,OR via St Louis and Denver also by myself. The most terrible time was the change from St Louis because there were no seats available do to the GI's going to the pacific after returning from Europe. I spent most of the trip to Denver in the vestabule (space between cars).--At 17 from Tacoma. WA to San Antonio,TX via Los Angelas--At 19 Portland, OR to New York City--19 New York City to Omaha, NE--20 Repeated Portland, OR to New York City--33 Victorville, CA to Raton, New Mexico then Trailways to Colorado Springs, CO. Nothing since, so I decided to splurge and get a ROOM on 5 or 6 long distance trips around the country with my67 year old son who has never been on a train, First trip Indianapolis aboard the Cardinal to Chicago to Seattle via emeryvile, CA and return direct home on th Empire Builder. I am 92+ retired from US Air Force 55 years and IBM 35 years , so you can call me "an old foggie"

Last edited:
Back