Is Amtrak calling sleeping car passengers for meal choice?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billvasili

Train Attendant
I am taking a sleeper very soon in September, and have read that some passengers were called by Amtrak for meal selections. Are they still doing this or is whatever they have on board for the sleeping car passengers?

I am currently on the EB (#8), and have been on #11, #14 and #5 over the past 7 days - and at no time did Amtrak reach out to me. Also, be forewarned that Dining service differs by route (at least out West over the past 7 days....lol). CZ would only seat 4 tables total (and service was dismal)....and you could dine in the car (waiting list) or "pick-up" -- no SCA room service was offered. CS filled the dining car, service was much improved, and SCAs would bring meals to your room if you preferred. CS was also a much cleaner trainset (interior). EB is by far the best service/cleanliness (half-full dining car, and very willing to deliver meals to room if preferred - outstanding service by both Dining and SCA crew.....and this eastbound SEA crew was just notified all but one member was furloughed.....so a rough trip this journey. Also, passenger count on all the trips this week have been dismal (in both the sleepers and coach).....pretty sad....but, happy to have made the trip before the 3x-a-week service.

I am currently on the EB (#8), and have been on #11, #14 and #5 over the past 7 days - and at no time did Amtrak reach out to me. Also, be forewarned that Dining service differs by route (at least out West over the past 7 days....lol). CZ would only seat 4 tables total (and service was dismal)....and you could dine in the car (waiting list) or "pick-up" -- no SCA room service was offered. CS filled the dining car, service was much improved, and SCAs would bring meals to your room if you preferred. CS was also a much cleaner trainset (interior). EB is by far the best service/cleanliness (half-full dining car, and very willing to deliver meals to room if preferred - outstanding service by both Dining and SCA crew.....and this eastbound SEA crew was just notified all but one member was furloughed.....so a rough trip this journey. Also, passenger count on all the trips this week have been dismal (in both the sleepers and coach).....pretty sad....but, happy to have made the trip before the 3x-a-week service.
I believe this pre-selection of meals only applies to Eastern LD trains.

What is CS?

"Hey, buddy! This is Amtrak calling. Do you want the slop or the slime? You have 15 seconds to make up your mind. Thanks for traveling Amtrak. We appreciate your riding with us. Have a wonderful experience in our new diners."

Please press "P" for the pasta, press "S" for the steak, press "Q" for the quesadilla, and "R" for the ragout stew. ;)

Please press "P" for the pasta, press "S" for the steak, press "Q" for the quesadilla, and "R" for the ragout stew. ;)

I know. We all know. But please... I am a human being and I am a paying passenger. Thank you for your automated service. It really touches my heart; along with your personalized customer service... Help! Help! I want to make a request and say something. Does the automated system system know that I am an actual human???

Although I am choking on your innovative flex meal dining food product, do you know I am actually choking on it???

Back