Is anyone updating the Museum?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For: Ispolkom - Perhaps that may happen - however, I doubt that the "message" will get through where I most likely will wind up! Anyway . . .

Speaking only for myself, I have never really been a "string saver," having spent 32 years in the military with moves every 3 or 4 years - it just

made better sense to lighten the load as the moves occurred. However, having been anchored in one port for a long, long time as a retiree - simply

amazing how the "stuff" accumulated.

The material things of importance are indeed covered within our estate planning - good advice though.

Good chat - even if off the mark for this topic; my fault!

Nathanael,

As others have said, you would certainly be welcome as a member. I know that I, for one, would be happy to have you on here.

As to the timetables, one thing to remember is that changes to them in the last few years have been minimal. The biggest changes I can recall are a shift in the NB Silver Meteor of 15-30 minutes earlier (depending on your stop) and a similar shift in the Adirondack (regarding padding around Albany). Other than that, the system has mostly been static with the exception of two trains being extended (to Norfolk, VA and Brunswick, ME).
Don't forget the Sunset Limited schedules being changed!

Nathanael,

As others have said, you would certainly be welcome as a member. I know that I, for one, would be happy to have you on here.

As to the timetables, one thing to remember is that changes to them in the last few years have been minimal. The biggest changes I can recall are a shift in the NB Silver Meteor of 15-30 minutes earlier (depending on your stop) and a similar shift in the Adirondack (regarding padding around Albany). Other than that, the system has mostly been static with the exception of two trains being extended (to Norfolk, VA and Brunswick, ME).
How is the Sunset Limited schedule being changed? I probably will be on that train next March.

Nathanael,

For the Hiawatha(Chicago-Milwaukee), Amtrak added a late night Saturday only train in both directions. From what I suspect, it seems like they're doing this as an experiment to see how well that goes, and potentially have a late night train(past like 7:30 in Milwaukee going south, and something like 8-8:30 from Chicago going north) every day down the road? I sure hope that becomes the case.

Can't think of many schedule changes, beyond that. And is it true the Sunset had a recent timetable change in some minor form? Since when I last looked at it(including the online pdf), it looked like the same to me from the 2016 Amtrak national schedule that I still have at home. RIP to those, it's a darn shame Amtrak stopped printing those in the name of saving money. Even if they still print the individual Amtrak line timetables, I loved seeing those national Amtrak schedules/booklets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nathanael,

For the Hiawatha(Chicago-Milwaukee), Amtrak added a late night Saturday only train in both directions. From what I suspect, it seems like they're doing this as an experiment to see how well that goes, and potentially have a late night train(past like 7:30 in Milwaukee going south, and something like 8-8:30 from Chicago going north) every day down the road? I sure hope that becomes the case.

Can't think of many schedule changes, beyond that. And is it true the Sunset had a recent timetable change in some minor form? Since when I last looked at it(including the online pdf), it looked like the same to me from the 2016 Amtrak national schedule that I still have at home. RIP to those, it's a darn shame Amtrak stopped printing those in the name of saving money. Even if they still print the individual Amtrak line timetables, I loved seeing those national Amtrak schedules/booklets.
There have been several changes to the schedules, including times/stations, additional corridor service intervals, etc. I manually compile the PDF timetables and keep them at this link:

https://juckins.net/amtrak_timetables/archive/home.php

Nathanael,

There have been several changes to the schedules, including times/stations, additional corridor service intervals, etc. I manually compile the PDF timetables and keep them at this link:

https://juckins.net/amtrak_timetables/archive/home.php
Oh yeah, I definitely know the addition of the Saturday late night train(in each direction) on the Hiawatha(CHI-MKE) wasn't the only very recent change Amtrak has done with train route timetables! I just was wondering about the Sunset Limited. Since when I compared the schedule from my 2016 Amtrak national timetable plus the current pdf shown on Amtrak's website, I didn't notice any changes to the Sunset timetable vs. what was shown in my 2016 national timetable(RIP to future versions of that). I could be wrong about that, though.

Gonna take a break from being online, for now. When I'm back online later, I will do a check of both my 2016 national timetable I have at home, and the pdf from Amtrak's website to see if there were any changes to Sunset's schedule, even very minor changes by a few minutes at most. Thank you for compiling timetables on your website btw, beyond 2010 ones. Since I sadly worry that website of Amtrak timetables of the past, will ever get any national timetable uploads beyond 2010? Don't get me wrong, that website for 1971-2010 timetables is still an amazing site!

For now, to avoid having to negotiate and pay for an additional train, the "added" late night Saturday train replaces the early morning Saturday train - still 7 roundtrips. There is a WisDOT/IDOT study currently in progress looking at what sort of improvements would be necessary to add 3 trains/day.

For now, to avoid having to negotiate and pay for an additional train, the "added" late night Saturday train replaces the early morning Saturday train - still 7 roundtrips. There is a WisDOT/IDOT study currently in progress looking at what sort of improvements would be necessary to add 3 trains/day.
Oh yeah, that is right that the early Saturday morning train that leaves at around like 6:30-7am in both directions was temporarily removed, to make way for that late night Saturday train. I just realized that now, when I was looking at the newest Hiawatha schedule again.

Think I did hear that IDOT/WisDOT were looking into ways, to expand service frequencies on that line further. It's too bad the idea to establish train service of some sort between Milwaukee and Madison, was scrapped years ago in the early years after Scott Walker became governor there. I know one can take a bus between there and Madison to go further west to get there, but as far as I know I sadly don't think there's any shuttle service between Madison and Columbus, WI(and back) for Empire Builder arrivals and departures in both directions. I wish such a shuttle service could be created.

Ok, by the Sunset Limited schedule change, I meant that 2/422 now leaves LAX at 10:00P, not 3:00P, and 1 leaves NOL at 9:00A, not around noon as before. I think this happened in 2012 or so, and brought much shorter dwell times in SAS, day service to Tucson, and graveyard shift service to Palm Springs, as well as being kicked out as early as 4:20am at LA on 1/421. Sorry for the confusion.

I am bumping this topic because I often visit that site and browse old timetables and seems its dead at moment. I realized, will it keep updating or not?

If not, what happens to the site? Domain expires in June 2022, I don't want it go away and hope the owners will keep it up online.

OK, so I suggest you slurp-download a copy the website with wget or something similar; if it does go away, that makes it possible to bring it back easily. If it does go down I would consider working on rehosting it but I've got other stuff on my mind right now.

OK, so I suggest you slurp-download a copy the website with wget or something similar; if it does go away, that makes it possible to bring it back easily. If it does go down I would consider working on rehosting it but I've got other stuff on my mind right now.

Let me know what or the best way? I own a server that I can host it, no problem. The thing is the site only display JPEG so it'll take me days to get all of them.

My practice is to slurp the whole thing and just save it on a USB stick or hard drive for posterity, but not put it up unless the original goes down.

My practice is to slurp the whole thing and just save it on a USB stick or hard drive for posterity, but not put it up unless the original goes down.

I agree, I'll give a try and see how it goes. I am not going to rehost, just save it on my backup storage in case something goes awary.

Back