is first class worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as you don't think of it as 'First Class' - because it is NOT - it's worth it for that long of a trip just for the added comfort of a flat surface to sleep on and the included meals.

Only you can decide if something is worth it. Everyone has different opinions.

As long as you don't think of it as 'First Class' - because it is NOT
Given that it is the highest class of service offered by Amtrak, the definition is correct.
Someone can (and will) correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that Amtrak has stopped calling sleeper service "First Class". The ONLY defined "First Class" (which is, indeed, a higher level of service than sleepers or business) is on the NEC. To that definition, sleeper service is nothing like Acela First Class. Arguably for the next two weeks, sleeper service on the Auto Train is closer to Acela First Class than any other sleeper service is.

plus first class gets me meals and Chicago Los Angeles Lounge access.
Indeed there are perks. It is up to you if you want to spend the $1000 for those perks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would never spend $562 (roughly twice the cost of a RT flight) for about 50 hours each way in a Amtrak couch seat. I say a sleeper is well worth it.

The suggestion for couch on the short legs is a good one.

You could see fare for doing Jackson-Chicago by Coach, Chicago-LA by roomette and LA-SD by coach. This combo might turn out to be cheaper than going "First Class" all the way and you will still get a bed to sleep, all meals between CHI-LA and lounge access in Chicago and LA. For short runs like Jackson-Chicago and LA-SD, Amtrak coach is quite comfortable, about as much space as domestic First Class on flights.

Amtrak coach is quite comfortable, about as much space as domestic First Class on flights.
I still think Amtrak coach has more leg room than even first class on planes. I am sure there are some that have more. But you can't compare coach on Amtrak to First Class flights. On Amtrak, would be the observation car and if interested the cafe car and dining cars.

But this is just my opinion, and I am sure others will disagree.

I would agree with some of the previous posts.

1) if flexible in your dates. definitely check Amsnag for possible cheaper fares

2) definitely go coach in Michigan and on the Surfliner LAX-SAN. The extra cost is not worth what few amenities you would receive on those trains.

3) I could only handle the trip from Chicago to LA in a sleeper. Too far to ride in coach for my back and for mental health :p

4) if you figure the cost of meals on the train, better restroom facilities, a shower, a bed for two nights, it is certainly worth the extra money for a sleeper. :)

5) As mentioned you would get access to Metro Lounge in Chicago and in LA. Better restrooms, snacks, priority boarding, luggage storage in CHI. That is all worth something to me when I figure my cost of sleeper as well. :)

Going cross country, if you can afford it do the sleeper. If you dates are flexible check the site "Amsnag" for possible better pricing. Have a great trip!

Having traveled long distance from Michigan many times, I agree with the others who say you should travel coach on the shorter runs (Jackson to Chicago, for example). Business class is nice, but it's not worth the price. You get a free beverage and more leg room, plus a comfy chair, but coach on the Wolverine is quite comfortable, and it's not THAT big a difference. If you travel in coach for those runs, you can save around $200. The only time I use business class is when it's included in my Amtrak Guest Rewards redemption trips. I never pay cash for it.

For the actual long-distance trip, I would book a roomette. This is a very personal choice, though. For me, it's worth it to have a private room where I can shut the door and keep noise out. I can't sleep in a chair, so the flat beds are another perk. I also enjoy the meals in the dining car, and they are included in the price of the room. If you travel in coach, you either have to bring food, buy it in the cafe car, or buy meals in the dining car. The cafe car and dining car are not cheap. Also, you'll have access to a shower, which I definitely recommend if you're traveling for more than one night. In addition to the shower, food, bed, and private room, the car itself is generally quieter, and you'll have access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago.

If you love to meet other people and can sleep in a recliner, then coach is a good option. The seats have leg rests and lots of room to stretch your legs to sleep. You won't have access to a shower, though, but you can find lots of tips online for bathing in a bathroom. Again, you would have to bring food and/or buy food on the train.

Check YouTube for some videos of the Superliner roomettes and coach to get an idea of where you'd be sleeping and hanging out most of the time. Keep in mind you can also use the lounge car if you need to get out of your seat/room for a while. I like the roomettes and think they're comfy and cozy, but I know some people start to feel twitchy after sitting in one spot for too long.

I agree with those who suggest traveling coach for the short sections of your trip and spend your money on the roomette for the overnight section. The privacy, meals in the diner, shower and a bed make it worth it IMHO.

A Montanan who enjoys train travel.

Only you can determine value, Personally the above mentioned plans makes senses, coach for the short runs and a sleeper for the overnight. Although I could make it in coach overnight, I choose not to - but the titanium hip and the trachea make for rough sledding over the duration. But then again as a young man I used to enjoy camping, but those days are long gone.

Enjoy the trip,,, kick back and relax,,, and my favorite part - enjoy the people you are traveling with ,,,

Superliner coach seat, fully reclined:

USA-superliner-train-seats.jpg

(Keep in mind you'll have to bring a pillow/blanket, or you can purchase a "Passenger Comfort Kit" in the cafe)

Superliner roomette at night (the table would be folded up; that's just for the train day sign):

IMG_5268.jpg

(Pillow and blankets are provided, and if you're by yourself, you can sleep in the top bunk and leave the seats in the "daytime" position.)

Superliner roomette during the day:

IMG_5267.jpg

Business class on the Wolverine (sometimes the seats are cloth):

31AMTRAKWOLVERINEBUSINESSCLASS-vi.jpg

Coach seats on the Wolverine - not as much leg room as the long-distance trains or business class, but still plenty of leg room, and the seats are wide and comfy:

3324984436_1dcb805a9d.jpg

Everyone in this thread is correct about everything.

I have just two other questions:
1) How soon are you going?

2) Are you going by yourself, or with others?

I'm just wondering because you might save some money by joining Amtrak's frequent traveler program, Amtrak Guest Rewards.

For example, one leg of your trip (Michigan- San Diego) would cost 20,000 Amtrak points. If you sign up for an AGR credit card, earn points through Amtrak shopping, or even buy some points, you could probably earn at least half of your trip fairly quickly.

Personally I would never spend $562 (roughly twice the cost of a RT flight) for about 50 hours each way in a Amtrak couch seat. I say a sleeper is well worth it.

The suggestion for couch on the short legs is a good one.
Do they have a couch to stretch out on in coach?

Not really unless you count stretching out over 3 seats at an awkward angle in the Superliner lounge on overnight runs, something I've been known to do when I've gotten stuck in the asile seat.

Other than Acela First Class, comparing Amtrak to any airline first class is a fool's errand. Service will be inconsistent, ranging from outstanding to penal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back