is first class worth it?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only official "first class" on amtrak, as other's have said, is on the acela service. Sleepers are called "sleeper class."

Personally I would never spend $562 (roughly twice the cost of a RT flight) for about 50 hours each way in a Amtrak couch seat. I say a sleeper is well worth it.

The suggestion for couch on the short legs is a good one.
Do they have a couch to stretch out on in coach?
Luggage rack on lower level of Superliner, although it's pretty well lit. If you crawl behind the suitcases, you might be able to deal with the light. I think they have put "slide-barriers" on the luggage racks up in coach, used to be a good place to crash. Lower level of Superliner coach sometimes has flat space on the floor, usually reserved for wheelchairs or such.

Bear in mind, none of these spaces I mentioned above are "legal" or recommended. Just places I have found people sleeping over the years of working and traveling on the AmDog.

Personally I would never spend $562 (roughly twice the cost of a RT flight) for about 50 hours each way in a Amtrak couch seat. I say a sleeper is well worth it.

The suggestion for couch on the short legs is a good one.
Do they have a couch to stretch out on in coach?
"officially" No.

However as people have mentioned it is sometimes possible to find flat areas on the train to stretch out in overnight. When I first traveled long distance on Amtrak in coach we slept in the Sightseer Lounge on some of the benches & floor there. However this practice has since become much more common & different crews have different internal rules on the practice. Some crews will let you some will kick you out of the car. Also because it's more common these days it is harder to find a spot to sleep there as it does fill up quickly. The practice is also frowned down upon by Some sleeping car passengers who are not shy about letting their dislike for it known.

peter

Am I wrong or have those commenting on the couch missed why s/he asked?
Yes, I think so. I think 'chakk' was just making a joke about my misspelling of 'coach'. I said 'couch' (twice) when I meant to say 'coach'. In my defense, I had another window opened to a furniture website, as I buying a new sofa. :)

Yes, I think so. I think 'chakk' was just making a joke about my misspelling of 'coach'. I said 'couch' (twice) when I meant to say 'coach'. In my defense, I had another window opened to a furniture website, as I buying a new sofa. :)
That's what I thought too :)

That's what I thought too :)
Okay, I was wondering whether everyone had really missed the joke. But when you coach it in those terms, it makes sense.

At the risk of sounding silly (oh hell, I don't care....ask Ryan, he'll confirm it) Einstein WAS right.......relativity is a personal thing. And in much the same context, we all tend to define our own concepts, including 'first class', whatever THAT may be. Train travel is what WE make it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you have the $$$ and you have the time (that is the REAL equalizer, time) then sign up for the Full Monty and meet it head on. Enjoy your trip!

For the portion from Los Angeles Union Station to San Diego, Business Class is well worth it. Remember, on the Pacific Surfliner, Business Class gets more perks than just a free soda.

On the trains before noon, they setup a continental breakfast bar in the car:

IMG_0063 by seat38a, on Flickr

On afternoon trains, they setup the buffet area, with coffee, juice, snack packs and you get a free soda, bottled water, or red or white wine.

IMG_0357 by seat38a, on Flickr

For the small cost to upgrade, it is really a great value when you really itemize up everything they give you and you actually bought them at the cafe or store before boarding.

IMG_0079 by seat38a, on Flickr

Wow. That's pretty awesome. I wish they'd do that with business class on the Michigan trains. They could (maybe) set up some kind of deal with Leelanau Wine Cellars or St. Julian's.

What? They are giving away free wine to pax? They should stop that this instant. The money saved could save routes/jobs. And they do not do it onall other routes any more, so they should stop it on these routes.

/sarc :p

What? They are giving away free wine to pax? They should stop that this instant. The money saved could save routes/jobs. And they do not do it onall other routes any more, so they should stop it on these routes.

/sarc :p
LOL, no way!! The Pacific Surfliner, San San Joaquin and Capitol Corridor are state supported routes. It is the State support that allows us to have 11 round trips a day from Los Angeles to San Diego. A big portion of the equipment used are state owned. Plus the state even paid to have the "Federal" Amtrak's damaged equipment fixed in return for a long lease. Examples of these Superliner's:

P1000406 by seat38a, on Flickr

I think the future of rail in California is bright. It is just the rest of the country we don't know. So the decision to remove the wine and snacks will come from Sacramento NOT Washington (Thank God!).

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to add. If you have a business class ticket, you get access to the new Metropolitan Lounge at Los Angeles Union Station.
It's not just at LAUS. Business Class Passengers can use any Metropolitan Lounge in which they have a ticket in Biz on that same day.

peter

I forgot to add. If you have a business class ticket, you get access to the new Metropolitan Lounge at Los Angeles Union Station.
It's not just at LAUS. Business Class Passengers can use any Metropolitan Lounge in which they have a ticket in Biz on that same day.

peter
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I was trying to make a point that LAUS has a lounge now. It opened late last year.

It's interesting, did a test booking out of curiosity on a Pullman Rail Journeys trip on the City of New Orleans a few weeks back. Turns out that booking an open section on PRJ was cheaper than it would be booking an Amtrak roomette (240 vs 359). So not only are you paying less, but you're getting an actual first class experience.

As for the question at hand, I'm not really sure anymore, the price for a roomette has gotten much too expensive for what you get. I had thought about taking sleeper on the starlight on my upcoming trip, but $556 for a roomette is just too much. The lowest I could find was 441. The last time I took sleeper on the starlight in 2008, I paid 197.

:eek: I wonder if Amtrak is Filling the Starlight at these High Bucket Rates?? I know they take off a Sleeper and a Coach in Slow times and cut back on the OBS,(not to mention the latest Idiotic Amenities Cuts!) but is the Market really there for these, to me, Astounding Prices for Roomettes???!! :help:

If it wasn't for AGR I couldn't afford to ride in Sleepers on LD Trains either, and to be Honest probably some of the Routes aren't Worth what the Revenue Wizards have set the Buckets at! I know it's a Trade off but there will be a Breaking Point, especially with the Poor OTPs, Cancellations, Bustitutions etc. that the LD Trains have turned in this Winter! ;)

Cascades Buissiness class passengers are now allowed in the Portland Metropolitan Lounge?
I would presume so; here is what the Amtrak Website says:

Similar to ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounges are available to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with the same day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members, and include:

• Comfortable, quiet lounge seating
  • Complimentary soft drinks and coffee
  • Ticketing assistance
  • Internet access
Metropolitan Lounges are located in the following stations:
  • Chicago - Union Station
  • Los Angeles - Union Station
  • Portland, OR - Union Station

:eek: I wonder if Amtrak is Filling the Starlight at these High Bucket Rates?? I know they take off a Sleeper and a Coach in Slow times and cut back on the OBS,(not to mention the latest Idiotic Amenities Cuts!) but is the Market really there for these, to me, Astounding Prices for Roomettes???!! :help:

If it wasn't for AGR I couldn't afford to ride in Sleepers on LD Trains either, and to be Honest probably some of the Routes aren't Worth what the Revenue Wizards have set the Buckets at! I know it's a Trade off but there will be a Breaking Point, especially with the Poor OTPs, Cancellations, Bustitutions etc. that the LD Trains have turned in this Winter! ;)
Mind you those prices include railfare, but yes somehow they are selling out at those prices.

Is "First Class" on Amtrak worth it? Yes! Here is how I look at the costing for rooms - for what its worth:
I took a month-in-advance fare for a Roomette off of Amtrak.com for the following dates on The Southwest Chief...

Monday, April 7, 2014 Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI) to Los Angeles, CA - Union Station (LAX) $505.00
Monday, April 14, 2014 Los Angeles, CA - Union Station (LAX) to Chicago, IL - Union Station (CHI) $505.00

For each sector you get quite reasonable comfort, privacy, meals and the option to mingle with other passengers
in the Superliner Lounge Car and Diner, essentially for 2 nights.

For a similar period, one could easily spend the same money or more, at a hotel and restaurants. Only in this case

you "board the hotel in Chicago and leave the hotel in LA" so to speak (and the same on the return.) To me this

is a value, because you are also transported nicely as well. So there is some real value in riding in First or Sleeper

Class if you want extra comfort and privacy that the service delivers. Especially, when you want to hide from the

world for a while and combine it all with sightseeing and socializing as desired.

The Jackson - Chicago and LA - San Diego would be extra of course. I really like Business Class and it is worth
the cost. Of course on a Chicago - West Coast trip, Coach is nice as well (I only ride in the Roomette when my
better-half joins me on the trip.) I really like the cost-effective Coach pricing and the legroom of the seats. It is
adequate for me when I am on the move to/from New York, Virginia, Florida and Denver/West Coast.

Enjoy your trip!

I was looking forward to trying out the new lounge in LA a couple of weeks ago. It was randomly closed with no signage for explanation. :-(

Took my first journeys in sleeper class though and found it worth the money for me. Much more relaxing (oh, and the lamb shank dinner in the parlor car was amazing!)

I was looking forward to trying out the new lounge in LA a couple of weeks ago. It was randomly closed with no signage for explanation. :-(

Took my first journeys in sleeper class though and found it worth the money for me. Much more relaxing (oh, and the lamb shank dinner in the parlor car was amazing!)
:eek: This is curious! Did you ask the Amtrak Info or Ticket Desk in Union Station why the Lounge was Closed? I'm glad you enjoyed your Sleeper Experience :) , and suggest that you call Amtrak @ 1-800-USA-RAIL/after "Julie" Answers, ask for an Agent and when the Regular Agent comes on the Line ask to be Transfered to Customer Relations, have your Info ready and perhaps they can give you info and perhaps even send you a nice Voucher for Future Travel since you didnt receive the Promised Services that are Part of Sleeping Car Travel on Amtrak!

For LD trips that I have taken I always find out it is worth the cost. But I always look at Amsnag and my travel dates are very flexible. Ex. my daughter and I traveled back to NO from Newark in H room with discount for her and companion discount for me for 445.I thought that was an awesome price. I always try to book at the cheapest rate.

Worth the bed ? YES

Worth the shower? YES

Worth the food ? Depends, "I" say no, but most people here seem to think Applebees is gourmet dining. ^_^

But what the hell, it's included :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back