Is it possible to change to business class after ticket purchase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SarahK

Example:

I bought a coach ticket for $50 one-way. At the time, it was showing business class upgrade for only $25.

Today, the same train's lowest coach fare is $100, but the business class upgrade is still only $25.

Can I call Amtrak and pay just $25 to have my reservation changed to business class?

Or will I have to pay the $25 plus the $50 difference in fares?

Thanks!

I can see it both ways. The "accomodation charge" is only $25. But that is attached to the rail fee, which could be in any bucket. Since you are actually moving from one type of seat to another, it is quite possible that you will have your current ticket cancelled and a new ticket with the higher rate plus BC charge. BUT, a skilled Amtrak worker may be able to make it happen for you. The general rule of thumb is to keep calling back until you can find someone who can do this for you.

IF YOU CAN'T - and I don't say this flippantly - DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. You don't say where you are or which train you are looking to get BC on, but in most cases, the difference in service is NOT worth the $25. That rate implies to me about a 4-5 hour ride. If you were on the Pacific Surfliner, I'd go for it. But in the East, I'd pay the $25, feel slightly jilted, but be OK with it. It certainly isn't worth $75 in my own, personal experience.

Thanks! I just got off the phone with Amtrak and they insisted that I had to pay the $75.($25 business class, plus the fare difference)

Oh well... I'll just enjoy coach.

You can call upgrade at the rate shown. No other changes will be made as far as price.
I'm sorry, but that's not correct unfortunately. As Sarah found out, changing the class of seat will always result in paying the current bucket rate for railfare too. I think that's a wrong policy on Amtrak's part, especially for Acela. Someone with a $125 ticket NYP to Boston looking to spend another $80 for First Class really shouldn't have to pay another $50 in railfare just to upgrade. But then I don't run Amtrak, so it is what it is.

Only the AGR free upgrade coupons avoid the bucket change issue when upgrading.

I know on the Cascades, Business Class is separate inventory from coach. So you can be booking coach, and it says, say $18 .to upgrade, and when you choose to, sometimes it is considerably more because BC has moved to a higher bucket while coach is still in a lower one. And that is doing right at the time, not even waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back