Is my figuring correct?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
So my most frequent Amtrak trip is Brattleboro, VT, to NYP and back. Normal fare, one-way is $48, or 4000 points.

Fast forward to Nov 23-26 when Home Depot purchases result in 5X the normal points. I have a $650 purchase to make. That will yield 3250 points. Applied towards my most frequent trip and that would be 3250 divided by 4000 = .81. If we multiply $48 by .81, we get $39 towards a $48 purchase.

Since I'm a veteran, I get an everyday %10 discount at Home Depot which amounts to a $65 discount. Note, the Veteran's discount does not apply to internet purchases, and thus would not apply to a AGR purchase.

So it would appear that I'm better off just taking my Veteran's discount and foregoing the rewards purchase.

Am I missing something here???

I realize my points would be better spent on longer trips, but this is my most frequent trip.

You should get 10 points per dollar which would result in 6500 points if they give 5 times the 2 points they usually offer. I value the points at 2.75 each since AGR sells them for that amount although when I cash them in they tend to be worth quite a bit more than that. At 10 points per dollar it gives you an immediate value of 27.5% off at Home Depot paid by a free trip. My arithmetic can be fuzzy but that's the way I see this one. But I use my AGR points on long trips that would cost more than $1000 so it may not make sense on short trips. I shop online anyway so my roomettes are paid by using those points. Otherwise I wouldn't be taking long expensive trips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the 10% off. No question about it.

Valuing points at what you would pay Amtrak for them as suggested above means your $48 trip is suddenly worth $110. Does that make any sense at all? Take the 10% off like your brain is trying to tell you and don't let yourself get caught up with fuzzy math.

Back