Is Reno a smoke stop?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRedEO

Service Attendant
I've only taken the Zephyr once eastbound (EMY to CHI) and I'm doing it again for the first time in years in January. I don't remember - is Reno a smoke stop? I have a friend that just moved there and would love to see her even if it's only for a few minutes on the platform - she's the type of person who would definitely drive to the station just to say hello.

Smoke/stretch stops for the Zephyr:

Sacramento, CA

Reno, NV

Winnemucca, NV

Salt Lake City, UT

Grand Junction, CO

Glenwood Springs, CO

Fraser-Winter Park, CO

Denver, CO

Omaha, NE

Ottumwa, IA

Galesburg, IL

It is definately a smoke stop and crew change point, only question is if they check tickets in the station for boarding passengers which means they might not let her down to the platform (I've only stepped off trains making intermediate stops there, never getting on or off).

I've never taken the CZ (I booked and cancelled it before) but I have been to the Reno station. I don't recall any problem going down the stairs into the trench platform.

Did you think of maybe having her join you on the trip and then back the same day? You might even be able to have time for a breakfast or lunch in the dining car, or time in the lounge. Maybe to Sacramento?

I looked it up, and there's a return (bus only) ride from Sacramento to Reno. You can't book that separately, but as a round trip it's considered booked with a train segment.

If you are lucky you can watch Reno undercovers haul drug mules off the train and bust them on the spot. It happened on my Sleeper once; as soon as the attendant opened the hatch, 4 badges were dosplayed, they boarded, extracted a couple of pax, hauled their luggage down and opened it, exposing bundles of narcotics. All while we stood just a few feet away enjoying the action.

I understand Amtrak agents at Sacramento and other points West are trained to flag one way Eastbounders paying in cash, especially if they are Mexican.

If you are lucky you can watch Reno undercovers haul drug mules off the train and bust them on the spot. It happened on my Sleeper once; as soon as the attendant opened the hatch, 4 badges were dosplayed, they boarded, extracted a couple of pax, hauled their luggage down and opened it, exposing bundles of narcotics. All while we stood just a few feet away enjoying the action.

I understand Amtrak agents at Sacramento and other points West are trained to flag one way Eastbounders paying in cash, especially if they are Mexican.
Yep! I was one that was profiled a few years ago. The 4-man team of Reno PD Drug Interdiction Unit boards #5 at Reno westbound to Truckee and returns on #6 that afternoon. Extremely friendly and professional team. Found me in the lounge and identified themselves (2 with me) and asked to check my belongings. Told them sure and to follow me to my room #24 in the trans/dorm and said have at it. Thanked them for their service and that was it. Fun diversion to the trip. Actually there apparently an algorithm between Amtrak, DEA and NCIS computers that flag reservations for certain criteria per one of the agents that detained me. I booked a roomette the night before to Sacramento from Fort Morgan, CO and spending the night to return the next morning eastbound. So I can see that that could be a drug/money mule routing. They were specifically looking for me as they asked my SCA a couple of times if she had seen me. Oh all the agents were dressed casually in shorts and various logo t-shirts. Mostly black.

Back