Is Silver Star still running?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hans627

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I've traveled the Silver Star between DLD and BAL often. I like the hours of the Silver Star because it gets into BAL in the late afternoon. I know there have been some changes to the timetable but it appears as though the Silver Meteor is the only option. Am I missing something or is this correct?

Doesn't the Silver Star run any longer?

Thanks!

The Star and Meteor are still running but no longer as daily trains. All other long distance trains (except the Auto Train) will soon follow suit, as seen below:
Amtrak Covid 19 Schedulesa.jpg
This all due to lower ridership caused by COVID-19, so it is said.

Last edited:
If you are wanting to use the train from Tampa or the section from Savanah to Raleigh during the first part of the week - No Go! The Star only runs at the end of the week and no attempt has been made to accommodate the people from Tampa of the western leg of SC on days the Meteor runs.

If you are wanting to use the train from Tampa or the section from Savanah to Raleigh during the first part of the week - No Go! The Star only runs at the end of the week and no attempt has been made to accommodate the people from Tampa of the western leg of SC on days the Meteor runs.
Well Tampa and Lakeland do have the bus connection option to the Meteor. But western leg in SC - no soup for you. I will say the way in which they are doing things is confusing passengers. I rode 91 yesterday and there was a lady in the roomette across from me yesterday who couldn’t figure out why when we were at Orlando at 10:30 why she wouldn’t be to Miami until 6 - as she had ridden north on 98. She mentioned she was going to Naples and I told her the train does go to Tampa before it goes to Miami so she switched her station to Tampa since it’s only a 30 minute difference in driving compared to 6 more hours on the train. I also explained that normally both trains run daily and that they have reduced the schedule due to Covid. This was a new to Amtrak passenger who doesn’t like flying and who was interested in doing more Amtrak travel in the future but was confused by the schedule so I was glad she had commented and I was able to help her out - Amtrak wants to be attracting this type of passenger and needs to make things clearer and more straightforward - tough thing about online bookings.

Last edited:
Well Tampa and Lakeland do have the bus connection option to the Meteor

If I am booking a "train trip" I don't want to ride a bus! If I'm going to have to ride a bus for part of the trip, I might as well take Greyhound and go all the way on the bus - since I wouldn't have to drive to Palatka to get the train. I can catch the bus locally. While it may be true I could do the round trip on Amtrak for the price of going one-way on Greyhound ... If I am taking Amtrak it is because I want to ride the TRAIN ... not a bus - especially since I know the Star goes all the way from Palatka to Tampa without the need of a bus.

Last edited:
For me, every train trip starts with a bus trip. Has been that way for years, decades. Well, except for the one-time Amtrak excursion train, with the American View in its consist.

For the past couple of years, that is on a bus with the Amtrak logo on its front marque.

If I am booking a "train trip" I don't want to ride a bus! If I'm going to have to ride a bus for part of the trip, I might as well take Greyhound and go all the way on the bus - since I wouldn't have to drive to Palatka to get the train. I can catch the bus locally. While it may be true I could do the round trip on Amtrak for the price of going one-way on Greyhound ... If I am taking Amtrak it is because I want to ride the TRAIN ... not a bus - especially since I know the Star goes all the way from Palatka to Tampa without the need of a bus.
I hear you. Just saying that folks that use those stations at least have a daily option that Doesn’t require driving to a meteor station unlike the stations in western SC.

folks that use those stations at least have a daily option that Doesn’t require driving to a meteor station

Not really sure how that works. Waldo and Gainesville are both listed as "Thru Bus Stations" ... but, you can't book a trip from them - at least, not online ... or, at least, not to all destination on Amtrak routes.

This is how Amtrak describes Waldo Station

1602541843293.png

However, if you try to book from there:

1602542036336.png

Now, If I want to go north, that I can do - but it will cost an extra $26 to catch the bus to JAX.

All I meant is that From Tampa and Lakeland you can use the bus connection to access points north or south any days the star doesn’t run via the 6098 bus connection to ORL - don’t know about other thruway stops which go through Tampa.

They are running the 6098 bus any day that either 97 or 98 is scheduled to operate in Florida. On days in which both 91 and 92 are making Tampa and Lakeland stops there’s no bus.

I understand about the bus ... for me, the idea of taking the train to Tampa is to take a "train" daytrip ... I have no desire to take a bus so I will wait till the Silvers are back daily and COVID is under control.

Back