Is "socially distant" seating no longer used?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted a question on amtrak's Facebook page about this saying I had heard tales of Policy change or laxity. Amtrak quickly responded that social distancing and masks are still required but failed to define social distance or comment on the 50% capacity policy. So it means nothing. Corporate double speak.

LD trains (and I believe any trains other than Acela) lack seat assignment. However, that doesn't mean the onboard crew doesn't, on their own, decide to assign seats at some locations and/or when they feel the need.
Maybe that explains what happened on the SWC once when I boarded it in ABQ. About 60 people got on that particular day in ABQ and we were assigned seats inside the depot, but on the train, the seat I was assigned to was already taken. Same thing for the person I ended up sitting next to. I usually take a roomette when I'm on the SWC, but the few times I have gone coach, I was assigned a seat, I believe.

LD trains (and I believe any trains other than Acela) lack seat assignment. However, that doesn't mean the onboard crew doesn't, on their own, decide to assign seats at some locations and/or when they feel the need.
I've been given a seat assignment on lots of ld trains. The attendant goes through her cars and makes a list of all available seats and then stands at the door during boarding (often with the conductor scanning tickets) handing out seat assignments.

I've been given a seat assignment on lots of ld trains. The attendant goes through her cars and makes a list of all available seats and then stands at the door during boarding (often with the conductor scanning tickets) handing out seat assignments.
Knowing that Amtrak crews don't like to make work for no reason, why do the crews do that?

It can be a frustrating situation, a cause for much passenger angst. Passengers like to pick their seats, and are often upset when they can’t- especially at an origin station.

The reasoning is usually to ensure that people traveling together can sit together - so they’ll assign singles to sit with one another. But sometimes it’s just because the train is nearly full, and they want to minimize the time new passengers take to get seated.

The most frustrating is when they pack people in like sardines in one car and then close off another coach completely and leave it completely empty.

They have legitimate reasons much of the time - but that doesn’t mean passengers like it.

It’s yet another reason I’ll usually pick Business or Sleeper for a day trip if available. I may have my seat/room assigned for me, but it is less of a cattle call.

Knowing that Amtrak crews don't like to make work for no reason, why do the crews do that?

Seat passengers with the same destination together for ease of getting them all off of the train (especially in the middle of the night).
Force singles to sit together so that pairs traveling together can sit together.
Probably a good deal of others...

In normal times Amtrak single coach travelers can expect accelerated grouping with other strangers, a lack of center armrests or other dividers, and lots of empty off-limits seats saved for ghost groups that are always just one more stop down the line. What single coach travelers cannot expect is any option to book two seats per person at any price. That being said, people who rarely travel alone in coach have determined that this is a perfectly adequate situation.

Last edited:
Although as I stated above, always blocking off the seats next to individual travelers is not practical once the pandemic is over, I do think Amtrak should prioritize passenger comfort over employee convenience. Assigning passengers to certain coaches depending on the destination makes sense, especially as not all doors open at all stations. It also makes sense to keep some rows available for groups and to shorten consists if it is clear the capacity will not be necessary. However, I think not allowing passengers to choose their seats is excessive. Additionally, I think cars should not be blocked off in their entirety unless they are deadheading or the number of employees is below the minimum to staff the car. Even looking at it from a pure business perspective, blocking off entire cars when one of those scenarios is not the case likely doesn't make sense, since the passenger experience would improve significantly and therefore future demand could increase, while the only obvious extra cost would be cleaning the car at the terminal.

In normal times Amtrak single coach travelers can expect accelerated grouping with other strangers, a lack of center armrests or other dividers, and lots of empty off-limits seats saved for ghost groups that are always just one more stop down the line. What single coach travelers cannot expect is any option to book two seats per person at any price. That being said, people who rarely travel alone in coach have determined that this is a perfectly adequate situation.
I never understood their position on buying the seat next to you. On overnight trips having that seat next to you free makes all the difference in the world. Buying the empty seat is cheaper than a roomette. Amtrak is getting the same money as if it was occupied by another person and it would make me and I'm sure every Coach passenger who values their space,can't afford a roomette and find it uncomfortable to share very close quarters with a stranger happy.Another rule I don't comprehend.

I never understood their position on buying the seat next to you. On overnight trips having that seat next to you free makes all the difference in the world. Buying the empty seat is cheaper than a roomette. Amtrak is getting the same money as if it was occupied by another person and it would make me and I'm sure every Coach passenger who values their space,can't afford a roomette and find it uncomfortable to share very close quarters with a stranger happy.Another rule I don't comprehend.
Absolutely! The Amtrak excuse about how to explain to standing passenger's, doesn't hold up, as that should never happen on a "reserved train", of which all long distance trains are. The only exception would be if a reserved car was bad-ordered enroute, and that is rare.

Absolutely! The Amtrak excuse about how to explain to standing passenger's, doesn't hold up, as that should never happen on a "reserved train", of which all long distance trains are. The only exception would be if a reserved car was bad-ordered enroute, and that is rare.
From a public policy perspective, if you really want passenger rail to be a viable alternative means of transportation, you would want to make sure all of the seats are filled with passengers. Allowing people to buy two seats and keep one empty would reduce ridership, even if it preserves revenue, and passenger rail advocates should be more interested in increasing ridership. To accommodate groups, Amtrak could allow advance seat assignment when purchasing tickets, so the coach attendants don't have to do that on the fly. Another [possibility to accommodate solo travelers who just can't abide with seatmates would be a 2-1 business class product, although I can say there were lots of times when I boarded the business class on #67 and found all the single seats occupied. But just like on other forms of public transportation, if you ride during a busy period (like I did on coach on the Silver Star one time), you have to expect the possibility that you will be sharing a seat. Either that, or reserve a sleeper room.

I have friends who rode Empire Service trains from New York to Rochester and back within the past week. They felt the enforcement of mask wearing overall was much less strict than on a similar trip last year.

On the going trip, the crew from New York to Albany took a tough stance, with the conductor announcing that if someone had to be asked a second time to put on their mask, "the next stop will be your stop." But things deteriorated after that.

On the return trip, the passengers were taking matters into their own hands, with several of them shouting "Put on your mask" in unison at an older man who kept removing his. The crew made announcements about mask wearing but only emerged from the cafe car to scan tickets and didn't make much effort at enforcement as they passed through.

I’ve never understood why Amtrak seats lack a middle armrest. It could be the type that can be put in the “up“ position like the airlines use.
IIRC, the MU Metroliner coaches, and the early Amfleet I coaches did come with a rigid center armrest. These were later removed at a refurbishment, due to customer complaints about difficulty of getting in and out of window seats, and discomfort for 'large' passengers.
Prior to Amtrak, some long distance chair cars, notably on Burlington and partner roads, had a slim, fold down armrest.

From a public policy perspective, if you really want passenger rail to be a viable alternative means of transportation, you would want to make sure all of the seats are filled with passengers. Allowing people to buy two seats and keep one empty would reduce ridership, even if it preserves revenue, and passenger rail advocates should be more interested in increasing ridership.
If the second seats were paid at full fare, couldn't they have counted that as another passenger, for accounting purposes? If so, and the fact that trains were 'booked' full, should have the same effect in the argument for expanding capacity, and gaining even more revenue.
If the object was to fill the train with bodies, then they should give away seats if they can't sell them all, just to inflate the passenger count....

I have friends who rode Empire Service trains from New York to Rochester and back within the past week. They felt the enforcement of mask wearing overall was much less strict than on a similar trip last year.

On the going trip, the crew from New York to Albany took a tough stance, with the conductor announcing that if someone had to be asked a second time to put on their mask, "the next stop will be your stop." But things deteriorated after that.

On the return trip, the passengers were taking matters into their own hands, with several of them shouting "Put on your mask" in unison at an older man who kept removing his. The crew made announcements about mask wearing but only emerged from the cafe car to scan tickets and didn't make much effort at enforcement as they passed through.
Unfortunately, our nation has become so polarized in recent times, that every possible issue becomes divisive, including the wearing of a mask for public heath safety. What should be done with that in mind, instead, for some, that has been made into a showing of your political affiliation.
I can understand somewhat the crew's trepidation of strict enforcement, and having people get into a brawl over it....

Unfortunately, our nation has become so polarized in recent times, that every possible issue becomes divisive, including the wearing of a mask for public heath safety. What should be done with that in mind, instead, for some, that has been made into a showing of your political affiliation.
I can understand somewhat the crew's trepidation of strict enforcement, and having people get into a brawl over it....

Well, the crew members don't want to come across as harsh, but there is really a passenger safety issue at stake here. People are weary of all the precautions, which I understand after all these months, and there's a feeling that the vaccines are about to save us. But it hasn't happened yet, and the new daily case numbers in metro New York are still really high. Getting those numbers down reduces the risk of spawning more variants that might prove to be resistant to the vaccines.

Except that you will be crammed next to someone in a possibly full plane for hours!
Actually if I am vaccinated (which I am) and am myself masked with a good quality mask (not some piece of rag around my nose and mouth) then sitting next to someone in a plane for a few hours would not really bother me much.

Since the collection of virons is cumulative, is it better to get to your destination quickly while well protected knowing you are in a risky environment than being in an environment which feels less risky for days while letting ones guard down a bit because it feels less risky?

Of course, being vaccinated, it would not bother me to be in the train environment either, even for days, while adequately protected. Just a week back I was in a pretty crowded train for an hour, where they actually enforced mask wearing quite strictly. And it was fine, in a place like Orlando, which according to some is borderline Armageddon territory as far as COVID goes. ;)

Last edited:
Actually if I am vaccinated (which I am) and am myself masked with a good quality mask (not some piece of rag around my nose and mouth) and sitting next to someone in a plane for a few hours would not really bother me much.

Since the collection of virons is cumulative, is it better to get to your destination quickly while well protected knowing you are in a risky environment than being in an environment which feels less risky for days while letting ones guard down a bit because it feels less risky?

Of course, being vaccinated, it would not bother me to be in the train environment either, even for days, while adequately protected. Just a week back I was in a pretty crowded train for an hour, where they actually enforced mask wearing quite strictly. And it was fine, in a place like Orlando, which according to some is borderline Armageddon territory as far as COVID goes. ;)
True, it’s all about that persons perspective and wants I guess.
And I’m gonna take a stroll into coach, ill report back

Coach seems to be at more or less 50%. The first one is pretty empty, second one is about 50%, and the third is probably a bit more. Most people are wearing masks (though some not covering their nose). I only saw maybe a couple of people not wearing one.

Back