Is SWC worth it between ABQ and LAX?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, while breakfast into LA is served at 5 am, it will feel like 6 am to passengers originating in New Mexico due to the time change.
So when I set my alarm for 5:00AM will it still "feel" dark outside?

A little better than nuked food....IIRC they had an omlet available, perhaps the French Toast, and something else. Its a simplified menu ... several items from the regular breakfast menu. And yes, it starts earlier than usual and is not announced (except that the time is announced the night prior before quiet hours begin).
On my trips the limited breakfast menu was typically limited to Scrambled Eggs and Continental Breakfast. I don't eat cold cereal or porridge and Amtrak's scrambled eggs are dry and bland to my palate so I generally skip it.

I would take the train, and I would not entertain the question of whether it was worth it.
Which is why AU sometimes sounds like a group of delusional Stockholm syndrome nutters. If you're not willing to entertain the OP's question why bother responding?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the train, and I would not entertain the question of whether it was worth it.
Which is why AU sometimes sounds like a group of delusional Stockholm syndrome nutters. If you're not willing to entertain the OP's question why bother responding?
The OP wondered about taking the train. I implied that someone who wonders about taking the train perhaps wouldn't be happy on the train.

I didn't say that it wasn't a fair question. I said it didn't apply to me. I said the person who asked it would likely have a different experience than I would.

Yes, I'm at least a borderline delusional Stockholm syndrome nutter.

Given all that, how do you think I should have responded?

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

Perhaps I should add additional context: I'm an avid Amtrak traveler (have done Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Zephyr (x2), Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, and Sunset Limited). All in roomettes. I'm also an AGR member and have the no-fee credit card. I love to travel on Amtrak.

In the instant case, I have free air travel that will expire and so my options are (1) return to LAX on free air travel or (2) travel on the SWC in coach [traveling in a roomette doesn't seem worth it]. I would gladly give up my air travel to travel by train. However, what I am trying to assess is whether it is worth doing so.

Is it worth the 4 hours of sunlight after departing ABQ and the three hours of sunlight the next morning?

For anyone who has traveled this route in coach during weekdays, is coach usually full between ABQ and LAX? This trip becomes more attractive if I can spread out across two seats.

ehbowen pointed out that after ABQ, there's a stretch in which the train travels at 90mph. That's awesome and a plus in my book.

More insight from members who have actually done this route and can add their perspective is much appreciated.

It's a bit more than a stretch, as it is pretty much from the point that the chief rejoins the BNSF transcontinental railroad line until the tracks are at the top of the cajon pass.

I have free air travel that will expire and so my options are (1) return to LAX on free air travel or (2) travel on the SWC in coach [traveling in a roomette doesn't seem worth it]. I would gladly give up my air travel to travel by train. However, what I am trying to assess is whether it is worth doing so.
I'm fond of Northern Arizona and I've enjoyed riding the SWC many times but I honestly would not give up free airfare just to ride in coach at night on Amtrak. Not enough to see and the seats are not comfortable enough for me to achieve useful sleep. The four hours of sunlight after ABQ assumes the train is on time and Amtrak can be hit or miss on schedule keeping. As for the 90MPH running it honestly doesn't look or feel that much different than the speeds any other Amtrak route can reach (often just shy of 80MPH). The only perceptible change I noticed was that passing freight trains made more noise. If it's about the sense of speed more than the speed itself I've experienced much higher thrills traveling much slower over far worse track.

It's a bit more than a stretch, as it is pretty much from the point that the chief rejoins the BNSF transcontinental railroad line until the tracks are at the top of the cajon pass.
These details may have changed over time but this should give an idea of where the fastest track is located.

SouthwestChiefSpeeds.png

Given all that, how do you think I should have responded?
If someone asks if A is better than B and you reply that you never consider A and always choose B, then what sort of knowledge is gained by that? Seems like it would be more sensible to just list whatever you thought were the benefits of taking the train over a taking a flight or vice versa.

When I wore a younger man's clothes, I once drove in one day from Albuquerque to West LA. I think it was 800 miles on the Interstate. Never again.

OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

Perhaps I should add additional context: I'm an avid Amtrak traveler (have done Capitol Limited, Cardinal, Zephyr (x2), Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight, and Sunset Limited). All in roomettes. I'm also an AGR member and have the no-fee credit card. I love to travel on Amtrak.

In the instant case, I have free air travel that will expire and so my options are (1) return to LAX on free air travel or (2) travel on the SWC in coach [traveling in a roomette doesn't seem worth it]. I would gladly give up my air travel to travel by train. However, what I am trying to assess is whether it is worth doing so.

Is it worth the 4 hours of sunlight after departing ABQ and the three hours of sunlight the next morning?

For anyone who has traveled this route in coach during weekdays, is coach usually full between ABQ and LAX? This trip becomes more attractive if I can spread out across two seats.

ehbowen pointed out that after ABQ, there's a stretch in which the train travels at 90mph. That's awesome and a plus in my book.

More insight from members who have actually done this route and can add their perspective is much appreciated.
I've done this route twice in the last 3 years, once in coach (boarding at Flagstaff) once in roomette boarding at ABQ.

Coach got really crowded between Flag and the Grand Canyon connections (Williams? Needles?, dunno) after that, I had a seat to myself and sleepily enjoyed the stretch through San Berdoo and approach to LA. One of the best things for me, riding Amtrak, is seeing the back yards and the industrial areas, gets me in touch with what it's like to live there.

Between ABQ and Flag -- well -- it's classic SW scenery, if you're into scenery. I liked it, because so different from the Northwest and Northeast. YMMV.

I'm deciding between flying or taking the train between ABQ and LAX.

I understand that Raton Pass is the thing to see on this route, but the train will have already passed that once it reaches ABQ. I'm also disappointed that most of the travel between ABQ and LAX will occur during evening hours, limiting viewing opportunities.

Anyhow, I'm looking for insight from folks who have done this route and think it is worthwhile to do. I usually travel in a sleeper, but I will be doing coach this time.

Thanks.
I think ABQ-LAX is beautiful, westbound. The desert in the evening. Lovely. Beautiful for photos. Eastbound it's the desert in the morning, which has its own charms. You can see for many many miles, mesas in the distance. And you're going fast. It's quite an experience.

Raton Pass is nothing to look at, really. I found the desert west of ABQ far more scenic. But tastes vary.

Of course it gets boring once the sun has completely set, or before dawn. But dawn and dusk on the Southwest Chief between ABQ and LAX are riveting, visually, for me. Nothing quite like it. I would definitely do it at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back