Is the Chicago lounge back in full operation yet?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope an upgrade comes to LA and Seattle, which doesn't even have a lounge!

Having something like the Magnolia Room in NOL put into place at places such as Albuquerque, Denver, Sacramento, and other large cities along LD routes would also be nice.
You're right about L.A., Seattle and Sacramento. Denver a maybe if the proposed corridors through there become reality. With one train a day, hard no on Albuquerque.

I already posted a Moynihan Lounge review, but I still have fond memories of the attendants practically forcing extra food on me to take on the train. They even asked if I wanted to take some brownies for the kids at home. Big change from the previous NYP lounge, where they would wrestle you to the ground if you tried to take out a pretzel bag.

I already posted a Moynihan Lounge review, but I still have fond memories of the attendants practically forcing extra food on me to take on the train. They even asked if I wanted to take some brownies for the kids at home. Big change from the previous NYP lounge, where they would wrestle you to the ground if you tried to take out a pretzel bag.
I thought the Folks working in the Lounge ( and downstairs in the Train Hall) were the Friendliest and most Proffesional I've ever experienced during my times @ Penn Station in the past 50 Years!😊( actually longer than that since I used to pass through the Old Penn Station often while Stationed in Conneticut while in the Navy!)

. Seattle should be the first.

I agree. For those Amtrak guests transitioning in Seattle from an Alaskan cruise, they will be arriving at Seattle's station in mid-late morning and have quite a wait until the EB departs, if they are using that train. Having a pleasant lounge in which to wait would be appreciated. However, I found my wait in the station to be quite acceptable without that amenity.

I agree. For those Amtrak guests transitioning in Seattle from an Alaskan cruise, they will be arriving at Seattle's station in mid-late morning and have quite a wait until the EB departs, if they are using that train. Having a pleasant lounge in which to wait would be appreciated. However, I found my wait in the station to be quite acceptable without that amenity.
The Seattle Station is pretty nice. However having a lounge would be great for passengers on the Starlight, Builder, and Cascades.

There is consensus that Seattle needs a first class lounge. A transfer point between trains, a major city on a corridor with business class, the origin point of two trains with sleepers, a transfer point from other one-a-day forms of transportation (ships and ferry)... and the waiting room is small and hard-benched without easy access to food.

(By contrast, Denver's main waiting room is so nice I doubt anyone would go to a first-class lounge unless it was full.)

Emeryville and Sacramento are other candidates for first-class lounges, as are Tampa, Miami (which station, though?), Orlando (which station, though?), Charlotte (new station), Raleigh, and Richmond. But Seattle seems like the station with the most overspecified reasons why it needs one.

There is consensus that Seattle needs a first class lounge. A transfer point between trains, a major city on a corridor with business class, the origin point of two trains with sleepers, a transfer point from other one-a-day forms of transportation (ships and ferry)... and the waiting room is small and hard-benched without easy access to food.

(By contrast, Denver's main waiting room is so nice I doubt anyone would go to a first-class lounge unless it was full.)

Emeryville and Sacramento are other candidates for first-class lounges, as are Tampa, Miami (which station, though?), Orlando (which station, though?), Charlotte (new station), Raleigh, and Richmond. But Seattle seems like the station with the most overspecified reasons why it needs one.
The Emeryville Station is pretty small, I have on idea where they would fit a lounge in there.

I was just in the Chicago lounge earlier today. There were a couple of baskets out, but they were empty. About 30 minutes later they had simply removed the baskets instead of refilling them. It appears that the soda machine is also removed, and the coffee machine is still out of service - so there's just a choice of sparkling or still water. It's definitely nowhere close to what the new lounge was like just before the pandemic (although it is pretty close to what it was like in the old lounge - especially the lack of stocking snacks!)

I was just in the Chicago lounge earlier today. There were a couple of baskets out, but they were empty. About 30 minutes later they had simply removed the baskets instead of refilling them. It appears that the soda machine is also removed, and the coffee machine is still out of service - so there's just a choice of sparkling or still water. It's definitely nowhere close to what the new lounge was like just before the pandemic (although it is pretty close to what it was like in the old lounge - especially the lack of stocking snacks!)
Chicago, it's always Something!

I was just in the Chicago lounge earlier today... It appears that the soda machine is also removed, and the coffee machine is still out of service - so there's just a choice of sparkling or still water.

I think the soda machine was on its way out pre-COVID. The last couple of times I was there, it was completely out of order. It seemed to 'die' one function/flavor at a time over the last 6-8 months of 2019 and then 'dead'. If I were to speculate, given that lounge has, by far, the most sleeper passengers, Amtrak likely decided the cost of all the freebies there was too high so they cut-cut-cut. Perhaps to better be 'in line' with the cost of providing 'free' dog food' in the dining cars.

I think the soda machine was on its way out pre-COVID. The last couple of times I was there, it was completely out of order. It seemed to 'die' one function/flavor at a time over the last 6-8 months of 2019 and then 'dead'. If I were to speculate, given that lounge has, by far, the most sleeper passengers, Amtrak likely decided the cost of all the freebies there was too high so they cut-cut-cut. Perhaps to better be 'in line' with the cost of providing 'free' dog food' in the dining cars.
All Amtrak Lounges should copy the New Metro Lounge @ the Moynihan Train Hall by getting rid of Soda Machines by offering Bottled Drinks, and also having a Person serve the Snacks and Food to Passengers Cafeteria Style.

I think the soda machine was on its way out pre-COVID. The last couple of times I was there, it was completely out of order. It seemed to 'die' one function/flavor at a time over the last 6-8 months of 2019 and then 'dead'. If I were to speculate, given that lounge has, by far, the most sleeper passengers, Amtrak likely decided the cost of all the freebies there was too high so they cut-cut-cut.

The same thing happened in nyp didn’t it? I know the coffee maker was broken (one of the easiest things to replace ever...) for quite some time.

There is a lounge in the Miami station. It’s upstairs. I don’t know if it’s still in use. It was dusty and empty when I used around 2014.
The Miami lounge has closed. I am not sure when, but it was closed the last few times I was in MIA.

In the case of Miami the lounge may have been closed and not maintained because Amtrak anticipated moving to the airport station. Then that was discontinued because the platform wasn’t long enough to accommodate the train and not block a grade crossing. So the Miami lounge is in limbo.

Chicago lounge is open, the baggage room is too small, coffee machine still broken (or something cover up with a broken sign.) Some snack were available. I when thur on a Saturday. Limited staff. Seem to recall a shower, but did not see anything. Left on the Texas Eagle so unknown if they would restock or just run out of things.

In the case of Miami the lounge may have been closed and not maintained because Amtrak anticipated moving to the airport station. Then that was discontinued because the platform wasn’t long enough to accommodate the train and not block a grade crossing. So the Miami lounge is in limbo.
And at the MIC at the Airport, the Amtrak facilities did not have enough space for regular passengers let alone space for any separate lounges. So even with the move there was no plan to have a lounge at the new location.

Back