Amtrak telephone numbers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
We have this number

1-800-872-7245

but is there a more direct number for Customer Relations?

There was in the past a different number for International Visitors but not now (understandably), but is there another number which is not widely known that will get us to Customer Relations faster than what is happening right now (long wait for a Reservations Agent which is not who we need).

Thank you

Ranked-up AGR members have a different number, but other than that I only know of USA-RAIL... Some stations have their own numbers that have been leaked online, but that's not going to help you get to CR.

Thanks.

We got through to Reservations using USA-RAIL but no other options apart from Timetables and Schedules. I suppose we ask them to put us through to CR.

Thanks.

We got through to Reservations using USA-RAIL but no other options apart from Timetables and Schedules. I suppose we ask them to put us through to CR.
As far as I know, there is no direct phone number to Customer Relations (available to passengers). I am Select Executive (which may or may not be special) and I have to call either Amtrak or AGR and ask to be transferred to Customer Relations.

As far as I know, there is no direct phone number to Customer Relations (available to passengers). I am Select Executive (which may or may not be special) and I have to call either Amtrak or AGR and ask to be transferred to Customer Relations.

Thank you Penny, of course you are special.

We went through to reservations and asked for a Customer Relations, in 35 minutes we were through. I assume these people are in Washington DC and if so it was at 07:30am there.

We asked for advice on how long we have to make a decision on whether to use the tickets we have bought LAX->EMY->CHI and were told 15 days before departure would be best to get a refund, after that up until the day of departure we get a voucher, both less a 25% cancellation fee.

When it was mentioned we were down-graded by Amtrak from bedroom to roomette and was it correct that if we wanted to cancel due to not wishing to use a roomette for this trip the agent agreed it put a different complexion on the matter and we could have a full refund if we decided not to travel.

A Case No. was created to document the conversation and as a reference for us to continue the discussion when we have decided if we are travelling or not.

Of course if we as Europeans are allowed into the US we will travel, we'll make a decision by the 3rd week of September.

Hope some of this helps others, and thanks for all the help which is a trade mark of this forum.

J&R

You booked early and snagged a valuable fare thanks to your own effort and research. I would think at a minimum Amtrak should have offered a 50% refund for the unexplained unilateral downgrade or allowed you to choose a different train with an available bedroom at the same price you originally paid. Suggesting that you can release your ticket and cancel your trip under the current standard rules doesn't sound like they've made any meaningful concessions at all.

As far as I know, there is no direct phone number to Customer Relations

This is the correct answer. Their is no direct link to Customer Relations.

We went through to reservations and asked for a Customer Relations, in 35 minutes we were through. I assume these people are in Washington DC and if so it was at 07:30am there.

You're close, off by about 135 miles. Customer Relations agents are in the Call Center in Philadelphia.

You booked early and snagged a valuable fare thanks to your own effort and research. I would think at a minimum Amtrak should have offered a 50% refund for the unexplained unilateral downgrade or allowed you to choose a different train with an available bedroom at the same price you originally paid. Suggesting that you can release your ticket and cancel your trip under the current standard rules doesn't sound like they've made any meaningful concessions at all.

Yes, that is a good point, perhaps more forcefully followed up in normal times. That there is no consultation with the paying customer is high handed, again if we lived in normal times.
Due to the strange times we are living through this setup works for us too. If the bookings had remained unaltered and we found we couldn't enter the US to make this journey due to Covifd rules, I would think Amtrak have the right to ask us to claim on our insurance rather than give us a refund as they would not be the cause of us asking for a cancellation. Swings and roundabouts...

Like your avatar.

I figured it out. I haven't flown in several years so it was a ninny question. I was merely musing about the exceedingly long wait times. Never before heard of 7 hours...

My last Delta flight was rescheduled four separate times without explanation but at least they got me home eventually. What's the question?

For Amtrak issues - try this LINK:

Amtrak - Elliott Advocacy

For other issues: {airlines etc.}

About Elliott Advocacy - a nonprofit consumer advocacy organization - Elliott Advocacy

Before making a case make sure your ducks are all in a row - paperwork - emails - letters - no phone calls unless recorded
Start with the lowest level of help NOT at the top down - let each level commit themselves to being overruled making errors assumptions etc.
Avoid legal litigation terms - you want the whole enchilada not a fraction of the resolution -
Find out if your credit card can help you here (charge backs on account)

Some serious issues perhaps drag in your Congressional or Senator representative {Amtrak - Transportation Secretary} -
Also the BBB {Better Business Bureau}

Most importantly FOLLOW - THROUGH on your complaint issue !

Is this a legitimate Amtrak phone number ?

1 (877) 231-9448

I keep getting a call from Amtrak at this number. Please help. I tried asking Amtrak but no reply.

That particular number does not show up in the phone number list on Amtrak.com
https://www.amtrak.com/helpful-phone-numbers-and-links
Crowd sourced responses go both ways but a majority imply it's legitimate and both sides say it leaves a voicemail. Those who called supposedly received updates about changes and delays.

So long as you do not give out any important information it's probably okay to call back. On modern phones it's usually very easy to ignore numbers if you decide you do not want any more alerts.

Has anyone tried to call a specific Amtrak station or depot? I've never been able to do so. I think the reason (justifiably) is that the station agent doesn't want to take a lot of phone calls asking for train status. Especially when you can check train status on the Amtrak website or by calling Julie.

However, I've tried to call an Amtrak depot (even the smaller ones) with questions such as nearby parking facilities, baggage check questions, and if the station has functioning rest rooms. Questions about easy taxicab access at the depot.

Has anyone tried to call a specific Amtrak station or depot? I've never been able to do so. I think the reason (justifiably) is that the station agent doesn't want to take a lot of phone calls asking for train status. Especially when you can check train status on the Amtrak website or by calling Julie.

However, I've tried to call an Amtrak depot (even the smaller ones) with questions such as nearby parking facilities, baggage check questions, and if the station has functioning rest rooms. Questions about easy taxicab access at the depot.
Even if Amtrak has a presence at many stations, the stations themselves are in fact not owned or maintained by Amtrak.

Back