Issues with Superliner roomette top bunk

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We recently had two overnight trips on superliner roommettes. I liked the roomette very much. The bottom bunk is great. I chose the top bunk because hubby goes to the bathroom at least once in the night and I usually don't. I liked the top bed overall. The bedding is good quality. One night I was a little cold but the next night just right. My husband observed that the pillow should be at the far end of the steps so a person can just keep crawling until you get there. The bed was made with the head at the steps so you have to twist around to the opposite direction after you get up there. I'm old and a bit overweight and it was difficult. I put my neck out of adjustment as I have two fused vertebrae. From now on we will have the bed made the way it was designed. When you get out you can scoot backwards or hang your legs over and get to the steps. Apparently these are the smallest top bunks in the system. Maybe a new design will be better.

I can't sleep with the top sheet tucked tightly under the mattress. When the bed is made this way, the whole thing--top and bottom sheet--come undone when the top sheet is moved, and I then need to re-tuck the bottom sheet. Also, the blanket is in a sealed plastic bag, so the blanket must be added to the bed. And, as the OP mentioned, the head is often at the wrong end.

The result is that I just make my own beds. Then I can have it how and when I like.

We recently had two overnight trips on superliner roommettes. I liked the roomette very much. The bottom bunk is great. I chose the top bunk because hubby goes to the bathroom at least once in the night and I usually don't. I liked the top bed overall. The bedding is good quality. One night I was a little cold but the next night just right. My husband observed that the pillow should be at the far end of the steps so a person can just keep crawling until you get there. The bed was made with the head at the steps so you have to twist around to the opposite direction after you get up there. I'm old and a bit overweight and it was difficult. I put my neck out of adjustment as I have two fused vertebrae. From now on we will have the bed made the way it was designed. When you get out you can scoot backwards or hang your legs over and get to the steps. Apparently these are the smallest top bunks in the system. Maybe a new design will be better.
I’ve found that having to get in and out a few times a night has made the chore easier. That safety strap has to go.

Back