Items stolen on Amtrak train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just robbed on the train just before LA nothing returned a felony for sure. No cameras and no safety on board. The police after at the station were more than helpful but still just gone everything I had for a wedding from LAX and my trip had to be cancelled and I was too afraid to go back to LA so I changed everything out of my own cost to San Diego. So scary.

I was just robbed on the train just before LA nothing returned a felony for sure. No cameras and no safety on board. The police after at the station were more than helpful but still just gone everything I had for a wedding from LAX and my trip had to be cancelled and I was too afraid to go back to LA so I changed everything out of my own cost to San Diego. So scary.
Thankfully you were unharmed!
What happened, exactly??

The original post was made last Thursday, almost a week ago, by person who just joined the group on that day and has made only one post. Details are scant and there has been no update or response despite several requests. I am skeptical if this incident, whatever it was, really happened.

I'm skeptical too. Just smells fishy to me.

Which is why my previous two posts are a not-so-subtle attempt at sarcasm if you really take a look at them.

:cool:

Like some others have done, the OP may have thought this forum is an "official" Amtrak page and was trying to "lodge a complaint" ... they may not be back - wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Like some others have done, the OP may have thought this forum is an "official" Amtrak page and was trying to "lodge a complaint" ... they may not be back - wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Hmmmm makes sense. Wish I had thought of that and posted in this thread accordingly. :)

I've seen those types of posts before too.

I wouldn't put much stock in the use of the term "robbed;" lots of burglary victims report that their house was robbed, when a literal-minded lawyer would say, "no, it wasn't robbed, it was burgled." Theft from a train is rare, but not unknown; a robbery by force is vanishingly rare, for the reasons stated above.

I agree, though, that it is easy for newcomers to mistakenly think this site is an official Amtrak website.

I wouldn't put much stock in the use of the term "robbed;" lots of burglary victims report that their house was robbed, when a literal-minded lawyer would say, "no, it wasn't robbed, it was burgled." Theft from a train is rare, but not unknown; a robbery by force is vanishingly rare, for the reasons stated above.

I can't tell you how many times my 30+ year police officer husband has corrected people on that exact point. One of his pet peeves.

I'm very new here so don't have much experience, but I will say that the original post did sound a little odd. There seemed to be so much information, yet at the same time, no real information at all. It sort of confused me.

I agree, though, that it is easy for newcomers to mistakenly think this site is an official Amtrak website.

Rare on a train, but not unheard of. Many years ago my daughter's friend had a substantial amount of money burgled from her suitcase on a superliner coach baggage rack.

And also many years ago I had a collection of music CDs burgled from my bag at my seat in a superliner coach while I was in the restroom. I didn't realize they were gone until I got home from my end station.

I can't tell you how many times my 30+ year police officer husband has corrected people on that exact point. One of his pet peeves.

I'm very new here so don't have much experience, but I will say that the original post did sound a little odd. There seemed to be so much information, yet at the same time, no real information at all. It sort of confused me.
Yes, I agree. The fact that the original poster never responded to requests for more clear info might also raise flags. Maybe she/he just doesn't check up with AU. Only one post.

A guess says that it's possible that someone took the wrong bag.
On the SWC #3 at Fullerton a while back, I noticed (from my lower level roomette window) one of my bags sitting on the platform outside. It was originally on the lower level baggage storage area near the doors. I immediately had it put back on the train. Same thing with another passenger in our car!

I attributed it to an over-zealous ("helpful") passenger who, with his family, de-trained at that station. They apparently started removing bags besides their own, in their desire to be "helpful".

I had posted a thread today, about someone jumped in my seat when I got up for 12 minutes on south west chief in kansas city. He was carving my bag up which was locked to the foot rest as I've been living in San Diego and have mu bag stolen constantly in San Diego, from beach, from cars, from hotel, from hostel, or literally choked to death for it in tijuana. I've also seen people arested on amtrak for grabbing phones

I had posted a thread today, about someone jumped in my seat when I got up for 12 minutes on south west chief in kansas city. He was carving my bag up which was locked to the foot rest as I've been living in San Diego and have mu bag stolen constantly in San Diego, from beach, from cars, from hotel, from hostel, or literally choked to death for it in tijuana. I've also seen people arested on amtrak for grabbing phones
"literally" choked to death, OR "virtually" choked to death !??
What did you do when you encountered the person carving up your bag ?

I would guess that larceny would be a much bigger risk on Amtrak than either Burglary or Robbery, but that is just me. as others have said too many people think any theft is a robbery.

As for the literal choking, is it hard to choke someone literally when you are carrying a 16 foot machete on your waist?

I would guess that larceny would be a much bigger risk on Amtrak than either Burglary or Robbery, but that is just me. as others have said too many people think any theft is a robbery.

As for the literal choking, is it hard to choke someone literally when you are carrying a 16 foot machete on your waist?
And I wouldn't be surprised if missing items, particularly suitcases , were mistakenly taken. I know I've mistakenly taken other's bags but was "caught" in time. It's easy to do if you're not mindful when detraining.

And I wouldn't be surprised if missing items, particularly suitcases , were mistakenly taken. I know I've mistakenly taken other's bags but was "caught" in time. It's easy to do if you're not mindful when detraining.
Over the years, I’ve traveled over tens of thousands of miles by rail and thankfully, have never had anything stolen. I think it’s very rare.

Rare on a train, but not unheard of. Many years ago my daughter's friend had a substantial amount of money burgled from her suitcase on a superliner coach baggage rack.

And also many years ago I had a collection of music CDs burgled from my bag at my seat in a superliner coach while I was in the restroom. I didn't realize they were gone until I got home from my end station.

I am sorry to read about your misfortune.

Though, I feel a need to pose the question, how would the "bad guy" know there were was a substantial amount of cash in your daughter's friend's suitcase? Likewise, how would a "bad guy" know there were valuable CD's in your bag? Even though I feel pretty save on an Amtrak train, I would never invite temptation by showing off (publically displaying) any valuables that I have hidden away in my bag or suitcase.

Back