[Ixnay The] Large Auto Train Coach Fare Increase...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
...of about 24% was noticed just now while conducting a periodic AmSnag search. This increase apparently occurred within the last few weeks. Anyone who had an AmSnag Fare Watch for the AT starting at least a few weeks ago may have the exact date in one of their email notices - if the exact date is of any interest.

OLD NEW

267 332

214 271

172 214

136 172

110 136

[95] [95]

Oddly enough, the [saver] fare remained the same as did the sleepers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wick nervous that the route is going to be cut as it's not 'profitable' (note the inverted commas) and making sure it's safe??

It appears that Amtrak has decided to continue to first diminish amenities, and then raise prices to the point of where business falls off. IMO, we may have reached the point where the lost amenities and higher prices equate to lower ridership and lower revenue. Price is one factor but amenities usually figure in as part of the value of the trip

. Of all Amtrak routes the Autotrain faces serious challenges. The demographic of those who ride the Autotrain is changing. The Autotrain survives in large part on the "baby boomer" senior citizen "snowbird" market. This demographic is a changing one as the generation is aging, survives on fixed incomes and is vulnerable to failing health, mobility, and even end of life.

When people decide on an Autotrain trip, it must be compared to cost of car travel. I can drive the 900 miles for about $600 (mileage, a few good meals and a comfortable nights stay in a good hotel. If compared to airline costs, flights with a rental car are also lower in cost.

Travelers will ultimately decide what form of transportation is the most economica (and comfortable) l, but Amtrak has the job of finding out where they fit in, what the market is doing and what the market will bear,. I know several former Amtrak travelers that now drive to Florida to save money. Will this be the trend? Time will tell.

This increase apparently occurred within the last few weeks. Anyone who had an AmSnag Fare Watch for the AT starting at least a few weeks ago may have the exact date in one of their email notices - if the exact date is of any interest.

You don't get an email for a fare increase. But they should show up in the history page.

This increase apparently occurred within the last few weeks. Anyone who had an AmSnag Fare Watch for the AT starting at least a few weeks ago may have the exact date in one of their email notices - if the exact date is of any interest.

You don't get an email for a fare increase.
Presumably Wick saves those emails for his friends in the legislature. I wonder if he'll make good on running Amtrak more like a business and close all these money losing long distance routes.

You don't get an email for a fare increase. But they should show up in the history page.
Only problem is I didn't have a Fare Watch established for the Auto Train.

There's also the possibility this increase is to correct a past error. Saver fares are advertised by Amtrak as being 80% of the low bucket. But that wasn't true of the old fare structure: low bucket was $110 and 80% of that is $88 not the previous $95. But 80% of the new low bucket ($136) is $109, so that doesn't jive either! Oh well.

However, do we really know whether the new CEO is behind this or is even aware of AmSnag?

For some reason, Amtrak believes that ridership will not be affected by cutting amenities. I wonder if they ever compare the cost savings to the loss of "regular" customers or is the cost savings the only factor. Loss of good customers irrelevant as long as ridership stays steady or only slightly declines. Forget growing the number passengers.

I am a bit disappointed to think that the snowbirds mentioned in post #5 stop using the train at their "end of life". Is there no way a refrigerated car can be added, to further these peoples train riding pleasure? :D

Ed.

There's also the possibility this increase is to correct a past error
There's also the very real possibility this increase is itself an error!!!

Checked just now and, lo and behold, Auto Train coach fares are now back to their original levels. The increase has been cancelled.

Makes me wonder if the Amtrak bean counters follow this forum and what the fares will be tomorrow.

I am a bit disappointed to think that the snowbirds mentioned in post #5 stop using the train at their "end of life". Is there no way a refrigerated car can be added, to further these peoples train riding pleasure? :D

Ed.
We have had other threads where we discussed coffins being transported by Amtrak.

But to be fair, coffins mostly make single journeys, not round trips.

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! Had never seen different bucket values depending on direction before but here's what we've got now:

NEW

OLD LOR-SFA SFA-LOR

[267] 332 332

214 214 271

172 172 214

136 136 172

110 110 110

[95] [95] [95]

In all honesty, I cannot say whether the old fares were the same both ways or not. clicking back & forth between the LOR-SFA and the SFA-LOR AmSnag search results for the next 30 days, it's easy to see the snowbirds are flocking back North: few sleepers available heading North (91% sold out); lots of sleeper available heading South (only 3% sold out). Anyway, it appears as if the Auto Train actually has 6 sleeper buckets (not including the Saver Fare) and $136 is replaced by $271 to squeeze the most out of the traveler.

Gadzooks, now I'm starting to wonder if any other train has direction-sensitive fares! Aaarrrghhh!!

Rabbit hole warning.

Don't go down that path.

Madness and hot tea are ahead.

The SnowBirds riding to Florida for there 6 months a year stay, are causing the directional fares. While you can ship your car down to Florida by several trucking companies. The volume is nothing compared to the Auto Train, so little impact to the Sliver trains.

Ed.
Anyway you look at it, the "baby boom" generation (born 1946-1964) is experiencing changes. Much of that generation is either at or near retirement. Some are already "in the box"!

This is why the Marketing Department has to stay on top of the changing demographics of today's passengers verses yesterday's. Management can't presume the passenger base and the economy will remain the same year after year. It looks like typical Amtrak running the operation with its head in the sand. The time to change the marketing approach is before the passenger volume starts to decline. Now the decline has started, so is it enough to get Amtrak's attention? Once they do attack the problem will it be too late and will the solution just be to reduce frequency to meet the lower demand rather than go after a new demographic group.

This is why the Marketing Department has to stay on top of the changing demographics of today's passengers verses yesterday's. Management can't presume the passenger base and the economy will remain the same year after year. It looks like typical Amtrak running the operation with its head in the sand. The time to change the marketing approach is before the passenger volume starts to decline. Now the decline has started, so is it enough to get Amtrak's attention? Once they do attack the problem will it be too late and will the solution just be to reduce frequency to meet the lower demand rather than go after a new demographic group.
What I was alluding to but in different words. Amtrak should also wonder why some airlines are bringing back on-board meals. If the customer receives a tiny bit more it should translate to higher ridership. Agree completely that Amtrak needs to attract a new generation of LD passengers. It can be done.

Adding Wi-Fi as Amtrak has done would seem to qualify as reaching out to a different demographic without charging more.

Whether that has actually translated into additional passengers? I don't have that data.

Back