Jan 2016 NEC/East Blizzard (was How does Amtrak handle snowstorms?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone like Thirdrail or Hal may be able to shed more light on this. I have the impression that Amtrak has several reduced service plans for the NEC in heavy snow situation. Some of the considerations include fixing the switch positions on many switches reducing the chances of switch failure which reduces the variety of stopping patterns available and such.

There are usually enough trains running for the 20% that make it to the station, unless some unplanned event prevents that.

Washington Post (as of Jan 19) Capital Weather Gang article on the outlook for a major blizzard this weekend: Forecasts converging on severe, potentially historic Friday-Saturday snowstorm.

Obviously, this far out there is a lot of uncertainty in the forecast and where the heavy snowfall or rain to ice to snow band may end up, but the odds are that there will be significant winter weather somewhere on the east coast this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Amtrak have a straight-rail operating plan for frozen switches?

Forecasts have shift the storm back north. Lancaster and Elizabethtown could see over 18

Inches!! That will definitely cause travel issues, especially with Amtrak. This might be a heavier wet snow, which could bring down trees, power lines, and catenary.

Forecasts have shift the storm back north. Lancaster and Elizabethtown could see over 18

Inches!! That will definitely cause travel issues, especially with Amtrak. This might be a heavier wet snow, which could bring down trees, power lines, and catenary.
Yeah, I was just thinking how this will probably be wet heavy snow vs dry fluffy snow considering the temps forecasted. I may have to drive in it on Sat., so not looking forward to it especially since I'm where it could turn to a wintry mix.

Now they're forecasting blizzard conditions for south central and southeast PA. Not good.

Yeah, I was just thinking how this will probably be wet heavy snow vs dry fluffy snow considering the temps forecasted. I may have to drive in it on Sat., so not looking forward to it especially since I'm where it could turn to a wintry mix.
Stay safe. Remember that canceling is an option, and you would rather exercise that option yourself than have the weather do it for you.

My philosophy is always Expect the Worst and Prepare For The Worst. That way you minimize your chances of getting caught short in a worst case scenario and increase your chances of surviving.
After reading many of your posts over the years it's pretty clear that when it comes to the climate your actual philosophy is to always expect the best, claim anyone who indicates otherwise is part of some sort of elaborate conspiracy, and to never prepare for any negative outcome.

Stay safe. Remember that canceling is an option, and you would rather exercise that option yourself than have the weather do it for you.
Thanks. It will be a "play it by ear" situation.

At least the main thrust of WS Jonas will hit on the weekend when it will have minimal impact on the commute, schools and such. Best plan is to stay in and lay it out. I imagine Amtrak, like the airlines, will allow for penalty-free cancellations or changes.

There's "major snowstorms" and then there's "blizzards for the history books". Amtrak usually does just fine in the former. The latter, with roofs collapsing and 5-foot-high walls of snow, tends to shut the trains down.

Well, my Saturday activity has been rescheduled. So I'll just be hunkering down in my apartment with my kitty. It will be interesting as I'm on the 1st floor which is half under ground (windows are just above ground level). I imagine I won't be able to look out my windows w/o a step stool. :p

Thank you all for the advice and tips. I have decided to cancel my trip and stay put Saturday. New York and my cousin aren't going anywhere, and I have been given an evoucher that I can use to reschedule the trip.

Someone like Thirdrail or Hal may be able to shed more light on this. I have the impression that Amtrak has several reduced service plans for the NEC in heavy snow situation. Some of the considerations include fixing the switch positions on many switches reducing the chances of switch failure which reduces the variety of stopping patterns available and such.

There are usually enough trains running for the 20% that make it to the station, unless some unplanned event prevents that.
This is true. There are different snow plans for different divisions that cover everything from train lengths, stops, routes, staffing, cancellations etc.

I have a Sunday plan to get from Lancaster to PHL for a usual activity that i do in PHL and return in the afternoon. It's not a big deal if cancelled, but I'm curious to see if and how it runs. I imagine that if I get to Philly on Sunday, then I should definitely be able to get back as it's supposed to be over Sunday. If I can't get to Philly< i just get back to my house ;)

Keep an eye on the website for service adjustments. Cancellations are inevitable. I expect the long distance trains to take a hit.

Might as well get this started.

I just learned that the Auto Train consists that are leaving this afternoon, January 21, will be secured at their terminals upon arrival tomorrow January 22, and are not expected to operate again until further notice. Service will be affected in both directions.

Hunker down, everybody.

Tom

We just returned from Washington DC last night and glad we got out of town before the storm. The 1" snowfall at rush hour Wednesday nearly put the town in shutdown. Can't imagine what this storm will do. Good thing it will be on a weekend which should help some.

It is a lot more than the Auto Train. As I stated in another thread, keep an eye on the website. Everything is impacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back