JFK TWA Hotel!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was based in JFK for a couple of years back when Delta was in the old Pan-Am Terminal 3. The big circular rotunda provided shelter to walk to the aircraft, but that quickly became obsolete when jet bridges were invented. Later the terminal expanded and it had an interesting road way up into it. It was finally knocked down a few years ago. JFK always is interesting to me in that each major airline built it's own terminal without much thought in how any of them connect with each other, or lack there of. I got a field tour back in 2003, and you can see even the cargo operations are like this. Obviously, it's still like this, although the operators have come and gone over the decades.

As far as United, I was surprised to see them leave. It was them and American that competed directly with high yield flights to LAX and SFO. AA offered wide body 767 Flagship service almost every hour. I never took United when they were there, but I understand that they offered similar service. Their new president, Scott Kirby said it was a mistake to pull out of JFK, as there were quite a few high dollar United loyalists out on Long Island.

To keep the thread on topic, I've yet to visit the TWA Hotel. Hopefully I can get over there in the next few weeks or months. I'm always looking for an excuse to visit NYC.

@Bob Dylan
Wait, a westbound red-eye in the 1980s? I thought the last of those (arriving around breakfast time on the west coast) got yanked sometime in the 1960s?
Westbound redeyes still exist today, at least in the form of transpacific flights. Personally I think domestic redeyes are undesirable in either direction, there's simply not enough time for a restful journey regardless of cabin, but it seems odd to me that westbound transatlantic redeyes aren't a thing.

I didn't sleep in the JFK AA Terminal, it was much too busy. Even after midnight, there was a very long line of people waiting to catch a flight to San Juan for the Christmas Holidays. Most people in that line had gigantic suitcases to check in. Full of Christmas gifts I suppose. I went to the next terminal over, that was not pushing out any flights. It was deserted, just a few other people in it.
I've only ever tried sleeping in exactly one airport and found it extremely difficult. You don't really notice these things during the day but at night the ridged seats, bright lights, and shouting announcements made any attempt at sleeping virtually impossible.

JFK always is interesting to me in that each major airline built it's own terminal without much thought in how any of them connect with each other, or lack there of.
I think this is mainly because JFK has historically focused on O&D traffic with little interest in connecting passengers. When I connected through LGA and JFK it felt like I was performing a clumsy workaround for a traffic pattern that was never taken seriously in the original design goals.

Last edited:
In the early 90's, when I slept overnight in a JFK Terminal, because there were no more flights to DFW that evening, it was because I chose that, over flying all night, first, JFK at 915PM to LAX arriving at 12:43AM, to then take the LAX 1:20AM to DFW arriving at 6:17AM. I could have done that, as I had AA Non-Rev flight privileges at the time. So I took the first flight out to DFW the next morning.

Think I woulda taken the Flights,but I never had trouble sleeping in Planes back then! Airports were another story!:eek:

I would definitely have taken the flights...I have done just that many times over the years, utilizing whichever carrier I happened to have a pass on at the time...AA, Amtrak, Greyhound, or Trailways...much preferred sleeping on the move over a terminal. I used this to save on the cost of a hotel, especially when I wanted to be somewhere very early in the morning.

The JFK Terminal I was in was very quiet. There were no flights being called. I slept on a leather cushion bench seat for 3.

I think this is mainly because JFK has historically focused on O&D traffic with little interest in connecting passengers. When I connected through LGA and JFK it felt like I was performing a clumsy workaround for a traffic pattern that was never taken seriously in the original design goals.

Yeah you're right about that. If one can avoid it, I always tell people to avoid connecting in NYC, as its much better to connect in DTW, ATL, DFW, IAH, etc. It works for the major overseas cities, but I came back from Shannon a couple weeks ago and had to connect at EWR. Of course the afternoon thunderstorms rolled into the NE and delayed my connection by 3 hours.

It's a little different now at JFK, JetBlue runs a very large number of flights, predominantly domestic, and Delta has lots of flights feeding its overseas routes lots, where 3 (old Pan Am) was they made it easier to get the RJ's in and out.

Only been through JFK once (6 months after the name changed from Idlewild end of 1963). I was 11 years old and flying MIA-JFK-LON-FRA by myself on PA 002. Only thing remember is there was an attendant handing out towels in the restroom in Pan Am's lounge. Oh and little bottles of cologne and mouthwash next to the sink. Then stewardesses and purser that gave me more Coca Colas than an 11 year should. Spent the first night in Germany sick as a dog! Still had a great time and memories!

I remember flying thru T-5 in June and August 1971 on TWA 904 and 903 to and from Madrid. I scheduled about about a 7 hour layover at JFK, so I walked from T-5 back to explore the IAB and them to Pan Am's Worldport and back to T-5. I had lunch at the Paris Cafe. I still have my ticket and boarding pass. The movie was Support Your Local Gunfighter with James Garner and Suzanne Pleshette on the eastbound leg and returning it was the Summer of 42.

I'm surprised that Summer of 42 made it as an in-flight movie...

I had lunch at the Paris Cafe today. Very good burger but the price was a little steep. Still, on a mix of good food and unmatched ambiance? Worth it once in a while.

I finally got here on the way back from Europe last time. What an amazing hotel. I didn't stay in the hotel so I can't review the rooms. But the lobby is amazing especially if you love the 1960s like I do. And there is a Sollari Board. It is definitely a pleasant place to wait for a long connection. I was surprised there wasn't more crew in there hanging out.

I finally got here on the way back from Europe last time. What an amazing hotel. I didn't stay in the hotel so I can't review the rooms. But the lobby is amazing especially if you love the 1960s like I do. And there is a Sollari Board. It is definitely a pleasant place to wait for a long connection. I was surprised there wasn't more crew in there hanging out.
Haven't seen you post in a while...welcome back! Still with Piedmont?

I love the old TWA terminal at JFK..one of .my last jobs at JFK, was driving the airside shuttle bus between there and the AA terminal from the merger until it closed in 2001. I retired in 2002.

Haven't seen you post in a while...welcome back! Still with Piedmont?

I love the old TWA terminal at JFK..one of .my last jobs at JFK, was driving the airside shuttle bus between there and the AA terminal from the merger until it closed in 2001. I retired in 2002.

It is very new that I am able to be back. I'm with PSA not Piedmont. Even though I work with a lot of Piedmont agents everyday. I've finally gotten to having a line so I have a lot more control over my future. PSA has rapidly changed since I was last able to post. We're opening a DFW base mostly because Mesa dropped American. I'm looking forward to that because I want the new overnights. I hope you missed me.

The TWA terminal is such a cool building and they did a remarkable job with the restoration of it. As a preservationist I was very pleased with the small details, but also the fact they have frequent signs explaining what you are looking at. It is a good example of preservation done right. It is a shame what saves buildings in New York is the destruction of another. I'm convinced the reason we have the TWA terminal is because Delta raised the Pan American World Port. Just like we still have Grand Central due to the destruction of Pennsylvania Station. We have a lot to work on as preservationists but we can celebrate the return of the TWA Flight Center. Fun fact the busses are back thanks to our partnership with JetBlue.

It is very new that I am able to be back. I'm with PSA not Piedmont. Even though I work with a lot of Piedmont agents everyday. I've finally gotten to having a line so I have a lot more control over my future. PSA has rapidly changed since I was last able to post. We're opening a DFW base mostly because Mesa dropped American. I'm looking forward to that because I want the new overnights. I hope you missed me.

The TWA terminal is such a cool building and they did a remarkable job with the restoration of it. As a preservationist I was very pleased with the small details, but also the fact they have frequent signs explaining what you are looking at. It is a good example of preservation done right. It is a shame what saves buildings in New York is the destruction of another. I'm convinced the reason we have the TWA terminal is because Delta raised the Pan American World Port. Just like we still have Grand Central due to the destruction of Pennsylvania Station. We have a lot to work on as preservationists but we can celebrate the return of the TWA Flight Center. Fun fact the busses are back thanks to our partnership with JetBlue.
My bad. forgot it was PSA...
Yes, did miss your posts...always informative and entertaining.

Interesting that the buses are back...are they still employee operated, or contracted out?
I retired just in time, as the buses also were primarily used to transport passengers from the (old) terminal, to the regional airplanes on the remote ramp. The new terminal was able to accommodate all flights, so the bussing operation ended.

Attachments

• 0447B233-D2CF-4207-B0F4-BF147665E593.jpeg
    0447B233-D2CF-4207-B0F4-BF147665E593.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My bad. forgot is was PSA...
Yes, did miss your posts...always informative and entertaining.

Interesting that the buses are back...are they still employee operated, or contracted out?
I retired just in time, as the buses also were primarily used to transport passengers from the (old) terminal, to the regional airplanes on the remote ramp. The new terminal was able to accommodate all flights, so the bussing operation ended.

I actually don't know who runs them at this point I've never used them. I've never had a need to do that. Usually when I fly out of JFK now I fly into LGA and have to make that mad dash between both airports. Which makes it quite fun at times. I would assume it's some form of a contractor at this point like it is at Philly. I'm not a large fan of the AA Terminal at JFK personally.

📹 MY CAMERA: SONY FDR AX-53 (No tripod , only Hand held) and IPhone 13 Pro MAX 📱
No commentary , no music

170 planes in 2 hours / winter Plane Spotting + Aircraft de-icing
1:41:36 TWA Hotel, Roof top panoramic view !
1:43:55 TWA Hotel visit
1:42:14 TWA Lockheed Constellation

Last edited:
Back