Joe Biden Campaign Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaboard92

Engineer
I'm surprised I'm the first poster on this. On Wednesday September 30th. The Biden Harris campaign is returning from Cleveland's debate on Tuesday night by charter train to somewhere in Pennsylvania. The route has not been announced yet but Cleveland, and Pittsburgh news outlets are reporting on the train.

And for those of you who like my trip reports you will all be very happy. I've got the days off and the spare cash so I'm going to go up to chase the train on whatever route they take.

https://abc6onyourside.com/news/loc...ur-eastern-ohio-western-pennsylvania-by-train
I hope to see some of you out trackside.

Wednesday after the debate tonight in Cleveland, the Democrat Nominee for the Presidency, Joe Biden, will board a Special Train in Cleveland for a Whistle Stop Campaign through Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.

The stops will be @ Alliance,OH, and Pittsburgh, Greensburg,Latrobe and Johnstown PA.

Looking forward to seeing the Pics and reading a report from any AUer
that sees the Train during the trip.

It'll be interesting to see if the railroad can handle it. I rode RFK's campaign train in Oregon (1968 primary) and it was amazing to see what a good job the SP did. That was not how a typical SP passenger train was dispatched.

By comparison in 1978 the CN put the Royal Train with Phillip and Elizabeth on the secondary main line in Saskatchewan and Alberta prairies. As someone commented: "that guy named Pool certainly owns a lot of grain elevators." Rail cynics claimed that the CN didn't want freights to be interfered with. British journalists were not impressed.

RFK train 1

MODERATOR NOTE: Please avoid any political posts. However, please feel free to post any real time photos of the train (using Amtrak equipment). Thanks for your cooperation.

Last edited:
In Oct. of 1978, I was present when (then president) Jerry Ford did a whistle stop route following the Amtrak Illinois route Chicago to St. Louis.

The a "Presidential Train" that followed behind the Amtrak train. The Amtrak train was not allowed to leave the Presidential train behind for security reasons. As a result all train traffic though central Illinois that day was held to a stand still and the original Amtrak train was 2-3 hours late getting into St. Louis.

Wish I had known earlier and I would have followed the train. But we are a couple hours from Alliance and three hours to PGH. Is the American View on this train??
I suspect #100001 the original Beech Grove now rechristened Bear Delaware with the open platform would be more suitable for a campaign train. But I have no idea what the actual consist is beyond what you see in the photo. It may very well be that they are using #100004 American View.

It would be nice if an AU member that does see the train posts some pics in this thread - I'm sure AU members would do a better job of taking train pics than the news media does

I watched the Alliance stop on TV, but the only 2 Cars I saw were a Viewliner and a Cafe car, they didnt Show the end of the Train or the Front so not sure how many other Cars were in the consist?

Update: According to a post on trainorders, American View is trailing on the consist.

Amtrak Joe thanked the Amtrak police and the other LE present, and talked briefly about his commuting days to DC on his favorite means of transportation, Amtrak!

Hopefully u-tube will have a video posted soon, and some AUer gets to see it in person and lets us know.

It's Heading to Pittsburgh now!

Last edited:
Any idea how often Amtrak equipment has been used for campaign train/whistle stop tours? I recall quite a few campaigns using trains in the Amtrak era but I don't recall Amtrak equipment being used. Of course, I could just be remembering a private car and forgetting that it was on the back of a consist of Amtrak equipment.

Well, I guess Amtrak is getting some sorely needed revenue from leasing out the equipment. I guess they also operate the train?

If the revenue from charters is sorely needed it seems strange that Amtrak would end their charter program doesn’t it? Unless of course Amtrak wants LD trains to lose money.

Last edited:
I saw Mr. Biden boarding an Amtrak car that was labeled an Inspection Car. What type of car is that? Is that American View?

I've seen some video of the train in Pittsburgh on Facebook. The consist appears to be 2 Genesis locos, an Amfleet Cafe, two Amfleet coaches, another Amfleet cafe, a Viewliner diner, another Amfleet coach, then the 10004 American View.
I mistook the Viewliner Diner for a Sleeper and the Coach in front of a Cafe.

Saw the post that American View was on the end, so that was the Bidens Personal Car.

Updated:

Theres several Posts on Facebook about this Train including stories about Amtrak Joe talking with people on the Train, what he said @ the stops and that the consist was 9 Cars ( see Maglevs post)and that it was following the Cap Ltd. Route from Cleveland to Johnstown PA.

It also mentioned that Amtrak said that Charters fees start @ $30,000, but that the Biden Campaign wouldnt disclose what it cost for the trip.

A nice touch was that the Conductor was making his last trip before retirement and Biden introduced him @ the stops.

Last edited:
For some reason, I didn't realize the American View was a Viewliner. I've seen it parked in DC before but only got a good look at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back