July Changes to Lake Shore and Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sorry for asking a dumb question and for apparently posting way too much. Can we just move on from this and I’ll try my hardest to be better out that stuff in the future? Thanks.

Im sorry for asking a dumb question and for apparently posting way too much. Can we just move on from this and Ill try my hardest to be better out that stuff in the future? Thanks.
You're not posting too much, it's just that your youthful enthusiasm sometimes causes you to hit "Send" too quickly!

Even we old farts make this mistake!

Last edited by a moderator:
The following info picked up from another forum regarding LSL's year over year ridership performance on YTD:

March (6 Mo) .... Even
April (7 Mo) ....-2 %
May (8 Mo) .... -4 %
June (9 Mo) .... - 8 %
July (10 Mo) .... - 12 %
This with capacity west of Albany basically reduced by 33% for the duration of the outage at NYP, is not necessarily that horrible and could have been far worse.

Now let us see how it does in Sept and Oct. It is only then - looking at the Sleeper and Coach performance separately perhaps, that we can get a feel for the effect of the food service changes. At least for the Labior Day weekend the NY section loading appears to be close to sold out, for the portion of the weekend that it is running from/to New York.

Booked the Cap from WAS-TOL-ARB, on October 5th for Michigan-Maryland B1GTEN football game on the 6th. (Noon game, hope the Cap is not tooooo late!) Anyway, I'll be bringing:

• My own real cutlery
  • Linen tablecloth
  • Bud vase with carnation.
  • Likely some Sushi
  • Wine Glasses (plastic or backpacker)
  • Plates, I gotta snag some Plastic Amtrak dinner plates B4 I go. I"m not packing china plates.... not this time. (traveling solo)
If you are on that train, feel free to join me for dinner, community style. All told, the "extra" this stuff takes up is nothing, and I can still "feel" like I'm dining in style, even if I have to bring it myself. (did it before on the Palmetto)

What a wonderful idea!
default_smile.png
I wish I could be on that train!

Maybe, when other people notice what you are doing, you will start a trend!

Booked the Cap from WAS-TOL-ARB, on October 5th for Michigan-Maryland B1GTEN football game on the 6th. (Noon game, hope the Cap is not tooooo late!) Anyway, I'll be bringing:

• My own real cutlery
  • Linen tablecloth
  • Likely some Sushi
  • Plates, I gotta snag some Plastic Amtrak dinner plates B4 I go. I"m not packing china plates.... not this time. (traveling solo)
If you are on that train, feel free to join me for dinner, community style. All told, the "extra" this stuff takes up is nothing, and I can still "feel" like I'm dining in style, even if I have to bring it myself. (did it before on the Palmetto)
Love it! I've always been tempted to bring onboard all the fixings that make for "fine dining", but the practical considerations of packing that stuff and possibly not being allowed to use it onboard, sort of won out against my temptation. Let us now how it goes!

Due to an SCA telling me to just throw away the cutlery I got a few years ago (we got flatware but I think he autopiloted to us having gotten the plastic stuff) I could actually augment the above with a proper set of Amtrak cutlery.

I've seen SCA's fish out steak knives and then throw the rest of the metal flatware in the trash including the cloth napkins. I honestly cannot remember a time when they brought me anything other than metal utensils.

• My own real cutlery
  • Linen tablecloth
  • Likely some Sushi
Love it! I've always been tempted to bring onboard all the fixings that make for "fine dining", but the practical considerations of packing that stuff and possibly not being allowed to use it onboard, sort of won out against my temptation. Let us now how it goes!
Yeah.....I would be very curious as to the reaction you might get from the crew if you did all that....

I would imagine in a remaining full service diner, on a different train, it would not go over too well....

• My own real cutlery
  • Linen tablecloth
  • Likely some Sushi
Yeah.....I would be very curious as to the reaction you might get from the crew if you did all that....

I would imagine in a remaining full service diner, on a different train, it would not go over too well....
Exactly. That's probably a violation of multiple health codes and Amtrak policy (namely bringing and consuming your own food in the dining car). On a "contemporary" train though, without full table service and boxed meals, it might be another story.

• My own real cutlery
  • Linen tablecloth
  • Likely some Sushi
Yeah.....I would be very curious as to the reaction you might get from the crew if you did all that....I would imagine in a remaining full service diner, on a different train, it would not go over too well....
Exactly. That's probably a violation of multiple health codes and Amtrak policy (namely bringing and consuming your own food in the dining car). On a "contemporary" train though, without full table service and boxed meals, it might be another story.
Since the contemporary dining is technically in a lounge and not a diner, this is probably ok and not a violation.

Consuming your own food in many of the lounges is not permitted. It varies by route or location in a car, like an ssl, ok upstairs, not allowed downstairs where food is sold Amtrak website says:

You may bring your own food and beverages onboard for consumption at your seat or private Sleeping Car accommodations. However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars. Personal food and beverages are allowed in the upper level of Superliner Sightseer Lounges.

Service Manual is slightly different since it points out the primary exceptions

11. Non-Amtrak Food and Beverage (Non Alcohol)
a) May be consumed by passengers in the following
locations.
• Any Coach seat.
• Any Sleeping Car accommodation (both alcohol
and non-alcohol beverages permitted).
• Upper level of Superliner Lounge Cars.
• Acela Express equipment.
• Empire Service equipment.
• Northeast Regional Café Cars.
b) All other Food Service Cars are intended for the
consumption of only Amtrak provided meals,
snacks and beverages.

However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars.
Wait, I thought you can consume stuff purchased onboard wherever you want (including alcoholic beverages)?
You may only eat purchased food & drinks in the dining car & lounge car as in you cannot eat your personal food & drinks in these cars (though there are exceptions for the lounges).It’s not saying you can’t take purchased food & drinks to other cars.

However, you can only consume food and beverages purchased in Dining and Lounge Cars in those cars.
Wait, I thought you can consume stuff purchased onboard wherever you want (including alcoholic beverages)?
You may only eat purchased food & drinks in the dining car & lounge car as in you cannot eat your personal food & drinks in these cars (though there are exceptions for the lounges).It’s not saying you can’t take purchased food & drinks to other cars.
Ah, I see. Thanks.
default_ohmy.png

It's been "a long long time" since I've been near an Acela, but I must wonder why assign, and pay, LSA's - a position that calls for having care, custody, and control of Amtrak funds - when supposedly the First Class car has no need for such?

Enquiring mind wants to know.

It's been "a long long time" since I've been near an Acela, but I must wonder why assign, and pay, LSA's - a position that calls for having care, custody, and control of Amtrak funds - when supposedly the First Class car has no need for such?

Enquiring mind wants to know.
I might be misunderstanding your question, but they need staff to provide meal service to First Class on Acela. How else would they do it?

I might be misunderstanding your question, but they need staff to provide meal service to First Class on Acela. How else would they do it?
I believe there is a misunderstanding; for service of course, but Amtrak funds?
Possibly the mistake is mine in that the Job Description of an LSA calls for custody of any Amtrak accountable property, be it food or funds. I always thought there was a class of Service Attendant, for those positions not requiring custodianship of Amtrak funds.

Possibly the mistake is mine in that the Job Description of an LSA calls for custody of any Amtrak accountable property, be it food or funds. I always thought there was a class of Service Attendant, for those positions not requiring custodianship of Amtrak funds.
One could argue that the FC EIC needs to be able to complete the accounting paperwork. Also in the event of somewhat frequent service disruptions, you can borrow/transfer any member of the crew to another train as needed. finally, when push comes to shove and no LSA's are available, the assist position has indeed been filled with an SA as needed. On the other hand, with the minimal salary difference, Amtrak figures it isn't something they want to worry about....

It's my understanding that the LSA is also responsible for the stock, so even if the food is complimentary, the LSA still needs to account for what has been used/given to the pax and what remains at the end of their shift.

Question about LSL 449, so coach and business class passengers get food a la carte from the split cafe/business? Are the meals for sleepers also prepared there as well? Just trying to get a sense of how busy it will be, etc.

Back