Just another reason to not travel in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is worth noting that a Conductor CAN stop the train, but only under a very limited set of circumstances as allowed by the FRA. One of them not being suspicion of theft. If they had stopped there's a good chance somebody would get their butts whooped either by Amtrak or the FRA.
The conductor can radio the engineer to stop the train, and he could do so pretty much whenever the heck he darn well wants to, and the FRA has nothing to say about it.
That was pretty much my understanding too.........

when I road #14 last August there were some really strange people riding coach. I was back in a sleeper and I only walked through the train once. That was enough. After that I stayed back in the PPC and ate there or in the diner. I never even went up to the superliner lounge car as it was full of coach passengers. These crazy people would get off at station stops and do their sun worshipping with no shirt on and things like that. What can I say it's the left coast.
Based on the dates on your pics I was on that EXACT train! I don't recall seeing any of those folks, but like you I never wandered south of the Diner or even up towards the Coaches during the long stops.
That was on #14 Sunday and Monday, August 1st and 2nd. The ut folks are at the LA Union station out on the side patio. The kids were in Klamath and the shirtless guy got off every stop Monday. I think the pics are at Klamath and one other stop. There were also several people taking their bicycles on the train. They got off at Klamath also. I talked to one I had met in the diner, he was going to ride all the way back to LA. He said he would probably take a surfliner into LA from Santa Barbara to avoid the traffic. Probably was going to take two weeks. I asked him where he slept when he stopped. Said he tried to find a motel, but sometimes he was in the middle of 'nowhere' so he just slept off the road somewhere. The bicycles were shipped in boxes in the baggage car partially disasembled. At Klamath they were all putting them back together before they left on their trips. It was an interesting and fun train trip for me all the way from Houston to Tacoma. It's certainly an interesting assortment of people that ride that train. Every meal in the diner was a new experience. lol. :)

when I road #14 last August there were some really strange people riding coach. I was back in a sleeper and I only walked through the train once. That was enough. After that I stayed back in the PPC and ate there or in the diner. I never even went up to the superliner lounge car as it was full of coach passengers. These crazy people would get off at station stops and do their sun worshipping with no shirt on and things like that. What can I say it's the left coast.
Based on the dates on your pics I was on that EXACT train! I don't recall seeing any of those folks, but like you I never wandered south of the Diner or even up towards the Coaches during the long stops.
That was on #14 Sunday and Monday, August 1st and 2nd. The ut folks are at the LA Union station out on the side patio. The kids were in Klamath and the shirtless guy got off every stop Monday. I think the pics are at Klamath and one other stop. There were also several people taking their bicycles on the train. They got off at Klamath also. I talked to one I had met in the diner, he was going to ride all the way back to LA. He said he would probably take a surfliner into LA from Santa Barbara to avoid the traffic. Probably was going to take two weeks. I asked him where he slept when he stopped. Said he tried to find a motel, but sometimes he was in the middle of 'nowhere' so he just slept off the road somewhere. The bicycles were shipped in boxes in the baggage car partially disasembled. At Klamath they were all putting them back together before they left on their trips. It was an interesting and fun train trip for me all the way from Houston to Tacoma. It's certainly an interesting assortment of people that ride that train. Every meal in the diner was a new experience. lol. :)
I do remember talking with the man who was planning to bike back to LA! If I recall he was a retired teacher or professor and does trips like this all the time. Then we had the fun lady from Australia on her way to a wedding in SEA with her friend. The airline had managed to lose her luggage and she was having to make do with what she carried on. I was the Longhair guy wearing the Red Beret. That was indeed a fun trip, especially considering I connected from the Southwest Chief which was over 2 hours down at sunrise but blasted into LAUS just 15 minutes before the Starlight left, saving me the terror of a bustitutuion link :)

In coach you will always find the greatest mix of travelers. You may find the budget conscious, the short trip passsengers (that have no need for a sleeper), some business travelers, families and like everywhere else, the lower end traveler will be there too.

When I ride in coach on the NE Corridor for those couple hour trips, its mostly business people and inter-city commuters on the train. The hooligans will always be there but are less likely to be in the sleepers. Point is on some routes Amtrak only offers coach service and business class service that is really not much different. If you want top end coach, then go for the Acela and if your wallet can stand the hit. first class Acela is the ultimate.

You may find the budget conscious ... The hooligans will always be there but are less likely to be in the sleepers.
That sounded like you were talking about me, but this hooligan is in a sleeper most of the time!
tongue.gif

You may find the budget conscious ... The hooligans will always be there but are less likely to be in the sleepers.
That sounded like you were talking about me, but this hooligan is in a sleeper most of the time!
tongue.gif
Please lets not quote things out of context. What I said that among the MIX of passengers in coach there are bound to sometimes be a FEW hooligans- the people that decide to speak on their cell phone in a loud voice the entire trip, the paassenger that decides that he needs two seats when the car is full, the people who bring aboard " a jug" and the guy that puts down the tray and decided to keep rhythm with the music on his iPod. I don't believe that anyone would be bothered by those who sleep.

Pacsafe is a travel products company that makes metal mesh covers for suitcases and backpacks, in a number of sizes. They also make backpacks, purses, totes, and more. I use their purses, they have several excellent security features. If I traveled Amtrak in coach I would definitely invest in a Pacsafe cover. I would secure valuables like a camera in the center of the pack, lock it, then secure the Pacsafe mesh around the bag/pack. I have nothing to do with this company, I'm just a satisfied customer.

I've just had a fantastic little bout of long distance rail travel in the US of which I'll document a little later.

Travelling coach is more or less the same in any country. You have to share a confined space with people who maybe don't have the same standards as yourself. I travelled coach on the lake Shore Limited from Boston the Chicago on what was a generally comfortable and enjoyable ride. A shame that a couple of individuals decided to talk loudly post 12am when the majority of the carriage were trying to get some sleep. Did take earplugs which helped a great deal mind. Ended up having a 'polite' word, as did another rather irate, tired and large chap, and to be fair, the said individuals quietened down and later apologised. Had a little chat with them in the morning about their travels, so all ended up good.

I've just had a fantastic little bout of long distance rail travel in the US of which I'll document a little later.

Travelling coach is more or less the same in any country. You have to share a confined space with people who maybe don't have the same standards as yourself. I travelled coach on the lake Shore Limited from Boston the Chicago on what was a generally comfortable and enjoyable ride. A shame that a couple of individuals decided to talk loudly post 12am when the majority of the carriage were trying to get some sleep. Did take earplugs which helped a great deal mind. Ended up having a 'polite' word, as did another rather irate, tired and large chap, and to be fair, the said individuals quietened down and later apologised. Had a little chat with them in the morning about their travels, so all ended up good.
After 11PM the conductor should tell the people making noise in the coaches to shut up or be put off the train. Creating a public nuisance is just not polite.

Last year we boarded the CL at midnight and went to our sleeper car. The SCA told us to please speak quietly as people were sleeping. I actually thanked him for reminding me that we should be considerate and speak softly while in the hall. Amtrak should have signs especially in the coaches to remind people to be quiet.

Jamie

Have you suggested to your boyfriend to investigate making a claim against a homeowners insurance policy? (His or his parents, if he lives with them.) Items like this that turn up "missing" are usually covered. You may have to provide proof of purchase to substantiate the claim. Hope this works!

Al aka Oldtimer2

unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

After 11PM the conductor should tell the people making noise in the coaches to shut up or be put off the train. Creating a public nuisance is just not polite.

Last year we boarded the CL at midnight and went to our sleeper car. The SCA told us to please speak quietly as people were sleeping. I actually thanked him for reminding me that we should be considerate and speak softly while in the hall. Amtrak should have signs especially in the coaches to remind people to be quiet.
Funny you should say that on the Zephyr someone was having a bit too much to drink in the cafe area and letting the odd 4 letter word slip in. The Conductor, who looked like the ex WWF Wrestler 'The Big Boss Man' asked him to tone it down or be ejected at the next stop, which would probably have been a totally deserted shack in Nebraksa!

Whilst at some point in our lives, we've probably all crossed the line of what most of us see as decent behaviour, its good to see in this case, the Conductor not tolerating what most other passengers, especially children don't want to hear or see, especially on what is a 'vacation train ride' for many.

I don't know if it was before your time, but Pullman cars used to come with a standard sign that said "Quiet is requested for the benefit of those who have retired". Noise in sleepers is probably my biggest Amtrak pet peeve.

Funny you should say that on the Zephyr someone was having a bit too much to drink in the cafe area and letting the odd 4 letter word slip in. The Conductor, who looked like the ex WWF Wrestler 'The Big Boss Man' asked him to tone it down or be ejected at the next stop, which would probably have been a totally deserted shack in Nebraksa!
Good work by this conductor for trying to restore order. A few signs posted as they had way back when might be a big help. When I was a boy growing up in new York City, the subway cars all had signs outlining the behavior that was expected from riders. I vaguely remember those signs but it was something like no littering, no smoking, no spitting, Violators libel for arrest.

Jamie

Have you suggested to your boyfriend to investigate making a claim against a homeowners insurance policy? (His or his parents, if he lives with them.) Items like this that turn up "missing" are usually covered. You may have to provide proof of purchase to substantiate the claim. Hope this works!

Al aka Oldtimer2

unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
I believe his dad did file a claim with the insurance. Not sure if they'll get anything from it or not. Only time will tell. He just heard back from the Portland PD and they denied his police report. Not sure what exactly that means since I haven't spoken with him about it yet. He said it had something to do with the fact that he was on a train at the time. I guess since technically he wasn't in Portland at the time that the Portland PD doesn't have jurisdiction.

How could a lost camera screw up your christmas? everyone has their own problems. Xmas 2010 marks the 11th year of the passing of my mother.. on xmas day.. from health complications..... so.. there.

My boyfriend just got off the #14 Coast Starlight in Portland after the worst trip. He insisted on traveling coach to save money and to avoid TSA, but is now paying for it immensely. It was a great trip until a sketchy group of people boarded his coach late afternoon yesterday. Their coach was pretty much empty other than this group and my boyfriend and his friend. He told me that as soon as the conductor and car attendant were gone some of the group unrolled these mats and started doing lines of coke while the others proceeds to stare at my boyfriend and his friend watching their every move. After 5 hrs of enduring the scrutinization, my boyfriend got moved to a different coach. If that weren't bad enough, today he made the stupid mistake of leaving his $2000 camera in his backpack unattended at his seat while he went to the restroom. When he came back, his backpack was open and his camera was gone. Apparently he had his camera out yesterday taking pictures when the group got on and one of them commented on what a nice camera he had. UGH!!!!!! He notified the attendant and the conductor, but there's nothing they can do without probable cause. They made an announcement threatening to stop the train if it wasn't returned, by can't ACTUALLY stop the train. UGH!!!! I told him yesterday he should have told the conductor what he saw. If he had listened to me maybe this wouldn't have happened. I love him to death, but he really is an idiot sometimes. NEVER leave valuables unattended in coach or out in the open in the sleepers. Just common sense.

Sorry about the rant, but I really needed to vent. This is really going to screw up Christmas.

The conductor can radio the engineer to stop the train, and he could do so pretty much whenever the heck he darn well wants to, and the FRA has nothing to say about it.
Doesn't an engineer up and stopping, unexpectedly and unplanned, the train cause "traffic" kinds of problems with any trains coming the other way (single track) and and trains coming from behind?

How could a lost camera screw up your christmas? everyone has their own problems. Xmas 2010 marks the 11th year of the passing of my mother.. on xmas day.. from health complications..... so.. there.
Just a few Christmases ago, my former daughter-in-law, her mother, and several other friends of the family were killed in a house fire caused by some Christmas decorations shorting out.

Imagine telling your grandkid on Christmas morning that his mother died a few hours ago.

Doesn't an engineer up and stopping, unexpectedly and unplanned, the train cause "traffic" kinds of problems with any trains coming the other way (single track) and and trains coming from behind?
It depends on the situation.

*How long is the train stopped? Is it just to reset a switch on the locomotive for a couple of minutes? Is it because of some other defect that might take 10-20 minutes to fix? Maybe much longer?

*Is the line single-tracked, or are there multiple main tracks?

*How much other traffic is on the line?

Keep in mind, I'm not saying that any conductor or engineer will just stop the train for the hell of it. They want to get where they're going as quickly as they can, too. But if they feel the need, for whatever reason, to stop the train, they can. Every rule book out there basically says just that.

If you're out there on the main and you're going to be stopped for more than a brief period, it's a good idea to let the dispatcher know that you're stopped and why. A passenger train that's just going to make a brief unscheduled stop to let someone off (say, for example, if someone left something on the train, went back to get it, and the conductor highballed the train while the passenger was still picking up the item, the conductor could just have the train stop at the next safe location, such as a commuter platform where they normally wouldn't stop) probably wouldn't even bother the dispatcher with the call.

To get back to the point made earlier, in the case of an Amtrak train making an unscheduled stop, the conductor only has to document on the train's delay report the reason the train didn't make the scheduled run time from A to B. If the stop isn't too long, and the reason is legitimate enough, Amtrak will not complain to the conductor, nor will the host railroad.

Xmas 2010 marks the 11th year of the passing of my mother.. on xmas day.. from health complications..... so.. there.
Imagine telling your grandkid on Christmas morning that his mother died a few hours ago.
Folks, what on earth do your Charles Dickens stories have to do with traveling in coach? I'm not against sob stories, but maybe you should start a dedicated thread if you want to compare your personal xmas hardships in public.

I'm calling "BS" on this one...that train is too busy for the described activities to have occurred! I work on board 14/11, and we occasionally get people making claims of theft. Usually, one of two things have happened: (a) they misplaced their own ("stolen") items, and (b) items never existed, and they think they can get new (cameras, computers, etc.) stuff from Amtrak just by complaining, absent any evidence or witnesses.

Xmas 2010 marks the 11th year of the passing of my mother.. on xmas day.. from health complications..... so.. there.
Folks, what on earth do your Charles Dickens stories have to do with traveling in coach? I'm not against sob stories, but maybe you should start a dedicated thread if you want to compare your personal xmas hardships in public.
Try reading all of Brandon's post:

[snipped for brevity]

Sorry about the rant, but I really needed to vent. This is really going to screw up Christmas.

-Jamie-,

What happened to your boyfriend's friend? Did s/he not notice the camera being taken? Or was the friend elsewhere when your boyfriend went to the restroom?
I have a question about going to the diner. Can you take your valuables with you to eat, if you can't leave them at your seat?

We are going as a family of four on this train and wondering about our electronics, etc.......if we want to go eat!

-Jamie-,

What happened to your boyfriend's friend? Did s/he not notice the camera being taken? Or was the friend elsewhere when your boyfriend went to the restroom?
I have a question about going to the diner. Can you take your valuables with you to eat, if you can't leave them at your seat?

We are going as a family of four on this train and wondering about our electronics, etc.......if we want to go eat!
I always take my GPS, camera and phone with me wherever I go on the train. I do not leave anything valuable at my seat or in my room. I don't travel with a laptop. That is like hauling a dead weight around all the time. But if you do carry one the same would apply.

I'm calling "BS" on this one...that train is too busy for the described activities to have occurred! I work on board 14/11, and we occasionally get people making claims of theft. Usually, one of two things have happened: (a) they misplaced their own ("stolen") items, and (b) items never existed, and they think they can get new (cameras, computers, etc.) stuff from Amtrak just by complaining, absent any evidence or witnesses.
I've had stuff stolen from me multiple times. Never once was any of it witnessed by anyone willing to come forward. I guess that means I never owned any of those things and just made it all up in my head then? I'm sure Amtrak gets abused from time to time, but I doubt any camera or computer claim has managed to stick Amtrak with hundreds of millions dollars in liability losses like the American freight railroads have...

We are going as a family of four on this train and wondering about our electronics, etc...if we want to go eat!
Yes, you can take your valuables to the dining car. However, each table will generally be filled with people as they combine everyone into groups of four. That doesn't leave a lot of room left over for your valuables. If the load is light you might be able to leave your things on a nearby seat but you can't really count on that. I kind of wish Amtrak had lockers for this sort of thing. It wouldn't prevent theft entirely, but it would make it a bit more obvious when people are up to no good and might deter the less determined thieves.

I was wondering when someone would state the obvious. Not the theft part, but being afraid to move about on a train for 5 hours just doesn't ring true.

FWIW I just took a coach ride on the CZ and lived to ride another day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back