Just booked my Rail Pass adventure! Advice please!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been talking about it for well over a year now, tried to convince my friends to go with me, but they all bailed so I'm doing this solo. And I can't wait. Got the 15-day rail pass and booked all my segments this morning. Itinerary is as follows:

Wed. 4/18 - Leave SYR on #49 Lake Shore Limited to CHI - Coach seat

Thurs 4/19 - Leave CHI on #5 California Zephyr to EMY - Roomette #18 in transition sleeper

Fri 4/20 - California Zephyr

Sat 4/21 - Arrive in EMY. Getting picked up by my buddy who lives in Santa Cruz and going down there

Sun 4/22 - Santa Cruz

Mon 4/23 - Leave San Jose (SJC) on #14 Coast Starlight to PDX - Coach seat

Tues 4/24 - Arrive in PDX - overnight in Portland

Wed 4/25 - Leave PDX on #28 Empire Builder to CHI - Roomette #5

Thurs 4/26 - Empire Builder

Fri 4/27 - Arrive in CHI - overnight in Chicago.

Sat 4/28 - Leave CHI on #30 Capitol Limited to WAS - Coach seat

Sun 4/29 - Arrive in WAS - overnight in DC

Mon 4/30 - Leave WAS on #84 Northeast Regional to NYP - Coach Seat

I'm sorry about the triple post. I have no idea what happened. It posted before I could finish. But my last leg is leaving NYP on 4/30 on the #49 Lake Shore Limited back to SYR.

Any advice for a solo traveler would be very much appreciated! And any tips would be great too. Thanks in advance!

I've been talking about it for well over a year now, tried to convince my friends to go with me, but they all bailed so I'm doing this solo. And I can't wait. Got the 15-day rail pass and booked all my segments this morning. Itinerary is as follows:

Wed. 4/18 - Leave SYR on #49 Lake Shore Limited to CHI - Coach seat

Thurs 4/19 - Leave CHI on #5 California Zephyr to EMY - Roomette #18 in transition sleeper

Fri 4/20 - California Zephyr

Sat 4/21 - Arrive in EMY. Getting picked up by my buddy who lives in Santa Cruz and going down there

Sun 4/22 - Santa Cruz

Mon 4/23 - Leave San Jose (SJC) on #14 Coast Starlight to PDX - Coach seat

Tues 4/24 - Arrive in PDX - overnight in Portland

Wed 4/25 - Leave PDX on #28 Empire Builder to CHI - Roomette #5

Thurs 4/26 - Empire Builder

Fri 4/27 - Arrive in CHI - overnight in Chicago.

Sat 4/28 - Leave CHI on #30 Capitol Limited to WAS - Coach seat

Sun 4/29 - Arrive in WAS - overnight in DC

Mon 4/30 - Leave WAS on #84 Northeast Regional to NYP - Coach Seat
:hi: Nice Trip! :cool: Welcome to the Forum, youve Provided a Good Reminder that one doesnt have to wait on others to have Great Adventures! I'd say to read all the Trip Reports/First Time Rider Info and Google up the various Threads that have been on here regardiong your Routes, Plenty of that for sure! We are Happy to Provide Ansers to Specific

Questions, Plenty of Info Available here, Some of it is even True! :lol:

If you haven't already done it, Id suggest joining Amtrak Guest Rewards, Read the info on their Web site! If you want to, Ill refer you, send me a Personal Message (PM0 with your e-mail and when you join youll get a 500 Point AGR Bonus for riding within 90 days, and so will I! :wub: If you do, please be sure Amtrak has your AGR Number added to your Rez# so you get the Double Points for your Train Pass and the Upgrade to Roomettes on your Trip! Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply Jim. I actually did my research and signed up for AGR before I booked the trip, so sorry I couldn't hook you up!

I agree - why wait on others? It's their loss as far as I'm concerned! I'm looking forward to seeing the country and meeting new people along the way. So hopefully somebody from this forum will be on one of my trains!

Since I'm riding solo in the roomettes, will I be allowed to keep my suitcase in the roomette with me? I feel it would be easier changing clothes this way rather than going down to the luggage rack and getting what I need, etc.

On the EB you should be prepared for a whole day of NOTHING when in Big Sky Country (Montana). That's one of the reasons I like the EB, but I'm sure some people will find it boring.

Thanks for the reply Jim. I actually did my research and signed up for AGR before I booked the trip, so sorry I couldn't hook you up!

I agree - why wait on others? It's their loss as far as I'm concerned! I'm looking forward to seeing the country and meeting new people along the way. So hopefully somebody from this forum will be on one of my trains!

Since I'm riding solo in the roomettes, will I be allowed to keep my suitcase in the roomette with me? I feel it would be easier changing clothes this way rather than going down to the luggage rack and getting what I need, etc.
Since you are riding by yourself in the Superliner Roomettes, I'd suggest that you use the top bunk to store your stuff, not much Room in a Superliner Roomette otherwise!. In the Superliner Coaches ,and on Amfleet Trains, (Single Level Equipment) the Overhead Luggage Racks have plenty of Room to Store Bags. Also on a Superliner Coach the Downstairs Luggage rack can be used if you Don't want to haul your Bag Upstairs! Good Positive Attitude towards Travel :cool: , Please keep us Informed and Contribute what you can to the Forum! Look Forward to your Trip Report when you take your Great Trip! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Amtrak trip will be the LSL to Chicago from Albany the day after you take the LSL to Chicago.

Good luck with your trip, looks like an exciting adventure.

Solo travel on Amtrak is great....especially IMHO because you have roomettes. That doesn't mean you have to isolate yourself - you'll meet plenty of people in the observation and dining cars. But it does mean you can put your feet up on the opposite seat and watch the scenery roll by with a book on your lap and your MP3 player plugged into your ears if you so desire. :lol: Conversations with the SCAs, strolls on the platforms, simply watching the world go by at Amtrak's pace unfettered by needing to attend to other travellers is a soul-soothing experience. If you're like me, you'll find your trip ends all too soon.

By the way, I live in San Francisco, and if you haven't been to Santa Cruz, I'm sure you're going to love it and the entire area. I haven't been to Syracuse, my mother's birthplace, in many years, except to pass through in the middle of the night on the LSL. But please say hello to all my cousins who still live there. :lol:

You have lined up an amazing adventure and I like how you have mixed Sleeper and Coach to increase your comfort while keeping costs in check. Take plenty of pictures to show your friends who wussed out-they will be beyond envious!

Try to pack any items you will need in a small backpack or tote/duffel bag and bring in to your roomette.Leave your big bag in the rack near the lower door.This has worked fine for my wife and I on several LD trips.

Enjoy. That should work in coach as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back