Just curious (SL/TE 3/15) Bustitution?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fillyjonk

OBS Chief
I am correct, am I not, in that the "continuation" Texas Eagle that runs from LA three days a week (the one that becomes 22) is also Sunset Limited? (2, I think?)

I'm wondering: did they pull the "continuation" passengers off at some point and bus them to San Antonio? I was watching the track-a-train because I get on the Texas Eagle this afternoon (MIN) and at one point I was groaning because 2 was like 4 hours late, and I figured I'd have to get dinner somewhere en-route to the train station....but then suddenly the Eagle was underway, before the Sunset Limited had even gotten to San Antonio....and now it's apparently running a bit early (not that I expect that to continue).

I'm also expecting parking to be an issue at Mineola (though I think there is a downtown lot where I COULD park if I had to) because they're still doing the bus thing they normally do from Longview out of there because of the detour

I am wandering about that too, how did #2 pax get to #22. Back in the day I remember one time Amtrak took them off at El Paso and bused them to FTW.

Yep, west of San Antonio, the Eagle (referred to as train 421/422) just consists of one coach and one sleeper hooked onto the back of the Sunset Limited (train 1/2). Generally one will wait for the other, but every once in a while if the first train is just too late, the second will leave without it. When that happens, they usually try and bus passengers to intercept it.

However when even that isn't doable, passengers have to spend the night in SAS on Amtrak's dime, to wait for the next train. That isn't so bad going east, since the Eagle is daily from SAS to CHI (meaning there's only a 24 hour wait), but it's absolutely catastrophic going west, since there is a two or three day wait until the next Sunset.

Back