Just for fun - upper or lower?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I travel via Amtrak with my sister and so far, she insists on the top bunk as she is more agile. Also, I'm so short that we can put my sister's carry on suitcase at the bottom of the lower bunk and I still have room to completely stretch out. However, she is a very light sleeper and can't sleep when I snore. I do have a device that cuts down on my snoring by quite a bit, but it can also cause me to gag and choke, so I don't like using it. So my question for you all is, if I change to sleeping on the top bunk, will she be able to hear my snoring as much as she can when I'm snoring below? Any experiences in this regard?

Travelling with my bestie I am on the top bunk always, we are both a bit arthritic, but I dont mind gliding into the top , when alone it is always the bottom of course.

I travel mostly in the West and mostly with my dad. The first time, he insisted on taking the upper bunk. He was 76 years old. I insisted on the upper bunk the next year because I felt too guilty. After that, we always got a bedroom or two roomettes, except for one time we were getting off the SWC at 3:00 am, when I opted for the upper bunk because I figured I could stay asleep that long. He's almost 91 now and always gets the lower bunk, usually in a roomette.

When I travel with my wife, we always get a bedroom, and I take the upper bunk, but I take a supplemental mattress. We like taking grandchildren along for the ride. In those cases, we take separate lower bunks and they take the upper bunks.

This applies to Superliners. I'm perfectly content to take the upper bunk in a Viewliner Roomette. I'm 6'2" and 195 pounds. My wife is shorter and lighter.

I travel mostly in the West and mostly with my dad. The first time, he insisted on taking the upper bunk. He was 76 years old. I insisted on the upper bunk the next year because I felt too guilty. After that, we always got a bedroom or two roomettes, except for one time we were getting off the SWC at 3:00 am, when I opted for the upper bunk because I figured I could stay asleep that long. He's almost 91 now and always gets the lower bunk, usually in a roomette.

When I travel with my wife, we always get a bedroom, and I take the upper bunk, but I take a supplemental mattress. We like taking grandchildren along for the ride. In those cases, we take separate lower bunks and they take the upper bunks.

This applies to Superliners. I'm perfectly content to take the upper bunk in a Viewliner Roomette. I'm 6'2" and 195 pounds. My wife is shorter and lighter.

Have you ever taken the family room with the grandkids?

Have you ever taken the family room with the grandkids?

Now that you ask, yes. It was kind of fun, lots of people in one room, but you can see out of both sides of the train. I think my wife got the bottom bunk on that trip as well. I like European trains better if you have a family - lots of rooms with four or six bunks in them. I rode Rome to Palermo in a sleeper a few weeks ago and my wife and I shared a room with double bunks that also had the possibility of a third. The mattresses were good and the track pretty smooth, but they got going at a pretty good clip and the wind noise was significant. I took the top bunk again. That train is interesting because they put the cars on a ferry from Reggio di Calabria to Messina and you can walk around on the ferry while it crosses the Messina Straits.

I'm unmarried, but I've shared both a roomette, bedroom, and accessible bedroom with my father. I invariably take the upper bunk, of course...after three years aboard a Navy battleship, the close confines of the upper Feels Like Home...

Nice, I was on the USS Wisconsin. I had a lower coffin locker, so sleeping in the top bunk is fine by me.

Nothing better in the USA then a Viewliner Roomette top bunk for cozy sleeping with a view. They did a great job with that one. Tthe way the bunk stows straight up and down vs the angled Superliner approach is also far superior.

Viewliner II will be even better by eliminating the silly in-room toilet. Better bedding (comforter, better pillows) could improve it even further.

In a Superliner, my 5’2” wife takes the top bunk - but I’d be more than willing myself if asked despite the fact I’m 6’.

For those who consider a Family Bedroom on a Superliner - it is the BEST for traveling with young kids. We did multiple trips with toddler daughters - leaving the kid-size lower bunk down all the time. We just added one of those adjustable plastic gates for safety and voila! - a safe, full time play pen. The kids (and adults) all had a great time.

Back